The Chick Depot?

Here's my experience.

I ordered chicks from this place because they were close enough to go there to pick them up, and I could order a small number.

I ordered 5 Blue Australorp pullets, and was told to call 2 days before my pickup day, the hatches had been erratic and she couldn't guarantee there'd be 5. I called, she had only 2. I wanted them both, and because I had planned on 5, asked what other day old pullets she might have. The only other ones were Jubilee Orpingtons, at about $30 each. So I got two of those.

We got to her place 10 minutes early, and had to wait nearly half an hour. DH was not amused.

One died the first night, and even though she said she had a 24 hour live guarantee, she never returned my call, and I never got a refund.

At about 4 months of age (don't know why I didn't see this before), I noticed that my Blue Australorps' feet looked like they were yellow, not white/pink. So I'm not sure if I have Blue Jersey Giants, or Aussies. They are bigger than my Black Australorp hens, and aren't even a year old yet.

I will not be going back there. I wish I could give a good recommendation, but I can't.

Do you have any more info? My birds are not quite 9 months old, and so far, no symptoms of anything wrong.
I was told from some individual off of Facebook, so I don’t have much information, I was just told to steer away from that hatchery, however, there is no actual proof. I wouldn’t worry too much. The individual that told me this is building up a case with their state to get them to shut down (I’m not sure on the progress of that though or if it’ll even happen).

I know this is an old thread but I just want to warn people NOT to buy anything from The Chick Depot in Michigan. I ordered over $200 worth of chicks February of 2023. After getting a lot of runaround, and after many emails and phone calls that have gone mostly unanswered, and after a promise a few months ago of a refund that night via venmo, it's 13 months later and I can't get the chicks I ordered, or a refund.

@msmeow, I'm sorry to hear this.

I don't know if you can still order chicks for this spring, but last year I got chicks from Mt. Healthy in Cincinnati, OH. I was more than pleased with the entire experience.
https://mthealthy.com/

Good luck with your flock. And with dealing with Chick Depot.

Back
Top Bottom