The Buckeye Thread

Very nice! And good temperament is an absolute must in my list of must -haves too. That's an interesting pen you have them in, is it a tractor?

Thanks. He's a great young cock. I have high hopes for him. I loved that last picture where he's staring right you... Your question, Yes, It is a tractor built from plans I bought from a fellow farmer. I have 2 in operation with part of the second in the background. Here's a picture.

I don't look at the combs at that age so much as the feathering for sexing.  You can find that combs can differ in size from line to line.  I have a hen who has a big, awful comb, and I suspect that a couple of the bad combs I have seen in young birds this year may have come from her.  I liked the rest of her, which is why I kept her.

The thing you want to watch with the combs isn't just size but when they start getting red earlier on the males.  That being said, I think you have two pullets, but time will tell for sure.  The color on the one on the right is much better though already as far as the richness of the dark red it will have.

So I went to the coop and did a photo shoot. Here are how the Buckeyes are coming along! "His" comb is getting much darker very quickly.

If this one does turn out to be a cockerel, the breeder I got them from wants to buy him back. What is a good age to sell back? And what is a reasonable price at that age? If anyone could offer experience or expertise in that I'd be grateful. I've only ever bought tiny chicks and paid $5 for these SR.

So I went to the coop and did a photo shoot. Here are how the Buckeyes are coming along! "His" comb is getting much darker very quickly.

If this one does turn out to be a cockerel, the breeder I got them from wants to buy him back. What is a good age to sell back? And what is a reasonable price at that age? If anyone could offer experience or expertise in that I'd be grateful. I've only ever bought tiny chicks and paid $5 for these SR.
Price depends on age and quality when you are talking about breeding stock. Quality tends to be a biased thing, some breeders think theirs are worth a lot more than they are while others undersell themselves. So, that is something you will have to work out with the other person.

Here are some pics of my chicks at 8 weeks, they have such a great temperament! While transferring over to my tractor I got individual shots...

One of my pullets decided she wanted to stay in the coop, another chick was just impossible to get a shot of. No treat in the world was going to hold him/her in place.

Goodb that's a very nice tractor indeed!
love.gif
Is that electrical wire conduit on the top? How did you bend it to get that angle?
bbhorsefly, none of my chicks got a redder comb that early- he looks very ,very nice! - In fact at 7 weeks there is still one I am not sure about. Early development is a good thing as far as I understand- maybe you'll want to keep him instead of sell him
wink.png

Justso those movie star Diva shots are great ! Backdrop and all! Nice chicks. Mine don't like the camera either, they are either pecking the lens out or turning their backs to it. Nice job with the posing.

Last edited:
I have two general Buckeye questions, I realize it could vary by genetic lines but are they more or less broody than other breeds? Are they very heat tolerant? I have a one year old Buckeye I bought last fall at about 4 months old. She started laying early this year the first of February and has been laying 4 or 5 eggs per week. The last two weeks she has been acting kind of odd sitting a lot in the run during the day and sometimes sitting in the nest box but no eggs for over 1 week now. It has been hot for this area, normally would be mid 70's it has been 80-90 over the last two weeks. There was an odd poop under her roost about a week ago looked like possibly a broken egg but later that day she laid an egg with a paper thin shell. She has not laid since then 8-9 days now. I am trying to figure out if the heat has her off or maybe she is trying to be broody or if there is a more serious problem like internal laying or peritonitis. Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom