Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Well some creative ideas ! I especially liked the chicken's door opener from the window ! But none of them on spot. Yes, there is a TV antenna, but it stopped working with TNT (2005).
Solar panels 🌞
IMG_20240217_080835.jpg

Today Chipie was being really aggressive with all the younger hens. She also spent a lot of time screaming. What was bound to happen at some point finally did : Kara, Nieva and Alba realised they were being bullied by a hen so tiny they could step on her and crush her, and things turned around. Chipie is getting old indeed, because she gave up instantly. One year ago she would have stood her ground ...and taken a good thrashing.

The chickens are using the second door exactly like I hoped they would ! ( How exceptional!) Théo is using it to escape Gaston, and all the smaller chickens to get out or in when Nougat is blocking the big door. They have gotten used to it very quick, maybe it helps that it is exactly where the old door was located in the previous run version.

Tonight, I counted only 16 chickens.
It took me a while to realise the missing hen was Merle.
But she was there. She had managed to crawl under Cannelle in the nest and she was under her.
I took her out and I will check again tonight. Cannelle is passing out some infectious yellow stuff that smells like death. Merle can't sleep with her.

Cannelle had a good morning followed by a horrible afternoon.
IMG_20240217_090349.jpg
IMG_20240217_090415.jpg
IMG_20240217_135007.jpg

Chipie taking her battle stance.
IMG_20240217_120811.jpg
IMG_20240217_161818.jpg
IMG_20240217_170010.jpg

It's astonishing how quickly chickens adapt to something they like. And how slowly to something they don't like. Katie has seen treadle feeders and observed their operation for more than a year. She still can't/won't use them. Instead she eats from the side after someone else has opened it. At least she's eating from the treadle feeders now. Which is more than I can say for Peggy.

Congrats on the solar panels! Will you have a battery as well? Or will your excess power feed the grid?

Fyi: I’m not proud all these farmers protests started in Netherlands. But it seems in NL only a very small group of farmers are active in these protests. Its mainly people who work in farmers related industries that take part in these protests /blocking roads and acting aggressively.

In the meanwhile the waiting lists to deliver goods from organic and circular farming (like being able to deliver organic milk ) is increasing.
Many farmers like to transfer to circular or organic agriculture but it’s not easy to make the change. Banks /financial investors are still not very cooperative.

Edited: bad language

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom