Théo and the chickens des Sauches

That would be more than enough but the problem is going up and down the wall. I'm not sure we'd manage a way so that power would still go through- I know it doesn't work with my neighbour's netting.
Edited : I just had a look around to measure and the wall can be avoided on both sides. I think it could be doable with just one battery.
I saw your edit that the wall may not be an issue. But I would still link the two gardens with insulated wire in the ground.
Part of your Partner’s objection is seeing the netting - and this way you can minimize it to just the planted areas.
My netting is green and I can barely see it if I stand back from it. The posts are grey and more visible, and I do hang some ‘caution’ signs on it in case someone is stupid enough to grab hold of it.

That would be more than enough but the problem is going up and down the wall. I'm not sure we'd manage a way so that power would still go through- I know it doesn't work with my neighbour's netting.
Edited : I just had a look around to measure and the wall can be avoided on both sides. I think it could be doable with just one battery.
Keeping the peace between partners is very important. Sometimes letting them think it's their idea works. :old

I believe if my chickens have a better life than the commercial producers, all is good.

cat, anybody? :oops:

Perris beat me to it with cat: natural born killers who interact with their human servants on their own terms.
I find many similarities between the two species.
I wasn’t questioning your assertion that free range keeping is superior to 10ft square per bird in a cage.
As you know I don’t do either of those.
What has struck me though is that if you read those interviews and new member introductions, it seems that a very high proportion of people remark on how they enjoy the ‘personalities’ of their chickens.
That says to me they see them as sentient beings, each with their own character, rather than egg laying machines.
Much as I dislike cats they are no match for the savagery of chickens. I've yet to see a cat rip off parts of a dead or dying cat they lived with. Most cats are tame; most chickens are not. I've seen countless posts wanting to know how to make a chicken friendly and cuddly. Never seen a post like that about cats. Cats may be sly manipulative vermin but they are affectionate even if that is often on their terms. There are a few exceptions but very few chickens come running up to greet you with their tails wagging. When they do come it's more a case of what have you got that's edible and if nothing is forthcoming they are no longer the slightest bit interested in you. Try and pick one up and your likely to have a screaming clawing bunch of feathers on your hands.
Chickens are major predators, it's just what they predate are usually other small creatures which unsurprisngly in human terms don't count as prey. The kill rate of a foraging chicken is vast compared to a cat.
I've had a mere handfull of chickens that one could describe as human friendly.
Perhaps that's what I like about them most, they don't like people.

This morning Blanche stayed lying down in her crate so I feared she was taking a turn for a worse. However, after half an hour she woke up, and when I got her out, she really perked up. For the first time in several days she actually ate a little of some other food than banana : she nibbled at starter mash, at some grass, and pecked with enthusiasm at a squash I cut for the chickens. But in the afternoon she looked very sick again. It's just the ups and down of a very unwell chicken I guess. Still, it makes me think she may have a chance.

Yesterday I posted a picture where Mélisse was waiting to lay, while Nieva was deliberately taking her time. I didn't mention that Laure was also waiting behind Mélisse ; and like she has done several times now, after about an hour waiting, she just gave up. She doesn't try to lay elsewhere ; she postpones laying and goes back to the business of the day. So I was not surprised to find her egg under the roost this morning ; however, unlike she usually does, she also laid a second egg during the day. Both eggs had the circle of fragile shell where they were touching each other. It's hard to say if she was feeling unwell ; she was calling for Gaston a lot, as she often does, and looking stressed like usual. She is a very worried chicken. The only thing that keeps her calm is when she is with Gaston. He likes her and spends a lot of time with her, but not all the time, and he doesn't help the hens to lay anymore, except when it's the first or second time they do after a break.

On the other hand, Merle is getting back to her old self- little devil is back ! Even though she is obviously not done with molting.

And this morning Léa didn't come off the nest after laying while she had been taking only ten minutes these last days. After two hours I decided to go check if she was stuck but there was her egg and she screeched at me 🤣. So I think after 16 days back to laying she could be thinking about babies again ?

Blanche this morning.
IMG_20240130_091602.jpg
IMG_20240130_091629.jpg

Kara
IMG_20240130_091643.jpg
IMG_20240130_091734.jpg
IMG_20240130_091738.jpg

Blanche joined Léa and Nougat for a dust bath but didn't have the strength. Caramel also used to do that. I don't know if it's to participate in a social activity, or because they want to have a bath but don't actually manage to, or because they hope to get covered in dust by the chickens bathing near by.
IMG_20240130_101946.jpg

Here she was covered in dirt by Chipie bathing right next to her.
IMG_20240130_104127.jpg

IMG_20240130_143414.jpg

Annette and Lulu went above the barn, which they hadn't done for about a month. I think they were hearing my partner and his father working behind the old houses and trying to go see what was going on.
IMG_20240130_144008.jpg

Nieva and Alba are the least tame of the chickens here. When she had that long lasting bumble foot, I think Nieva must have been inside our house something like forty times, and she still acts whenever she sees us like we are going to grab her and skin her alive. The only sign that she is less afraid is that she sometimes peck my pants now. So it is a rare thing I can get a picture that close.
IMG_20240130_161803.jpg

Laure is also not tame, but she is very food motivated and very curious, so maybe in time she will overcome her fear of us. I hope with time she will become less afraid of everything. I noticed another strange thing a few days ago. I thought she was growing spurs, but in fact it is just one spur. On the other leg, there is just a tiny bump. Could she have one male and one female leg 🤣?
IMG_20240130_161812.jpg

Both roosters are actively courting Merle, much to her disgust, so I think she will resume laying soon.
IMG_20240130_163257.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240130_091629.jpg
    IMG_20240130_091629.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Cats may be sly manipulative vermin
:lau
When they do come it's more a case of what have you got that's edible
Or.. spring is in the air and they like me to act like a rooster (pat on the back / wiggle).
I noticed another strange thing a few days ago. I thought she was growing spurs, but in fact it is just one spur. On the other leg, there is just a tiny bump. Could she have one male and one female leg 🤣?
@Perris can tell you more about the mixed up gender subject.

I don’t know why your partner thinks the chickens won’t be happy in a good sized fenced area. But you are right that your chickens are not worth it to fight over. Whether they are more or less egoistic than cats doesn’t matter. I hope you can work out a solution that is satisfying for both of you.
I know from reading al your post and seeing all the photos that there aren’t many chickens who have such a wonderful life and loving caretakers as you both are. 💕

Much as I dislike cats they are no match for the savagery of chickens. I've yet to see a cat rip off parts of a dead or dying cat they lived with. Most cats are tame; most chickens are not. I've seen countless posts wanting to know how to make a chicken friendly and cuddly. Never seen a post like that about cats. Cats may be sly manipulative vermin but they are affectionate even if that is often on their terms. There are a few exceptions but very few chickens come running up to greet you with their tails wagging. When they do come it's more a case of what have you got that's edible and if nothing is forthcoming they are no longer the slightest bit interested in you. Try and pick one up and your likely to have a screaming clawing bunch of feathers on your hands.
Chickens are major predators, it's just what they predate are usually other small creatures which unsurprisngly in human terms don't count as prey. The kill rate of a foraging chicken is vast compared to a cat.
I've had a mere handfull of chickens that one could describe as human friendly.
Perhaps that's what I like about them most, they don't like people.
While I deeply respect your superior experience and knowledge of chickens, based on this assessment I cannot say the same of your understanding of cats!
:gig

While I deeply respect your superior experience and knowledge of chickens, based on this assessment I cannot say the same of your understanding of cats!
:gig
I have to hold my hand up to being a tiny bit biased, mainly due to detesting the creatures and of course being allergic to them which greatly inhibits in depth study.:p

I have to hold my hand up to being a tiny bit biased, mainly due to detesting the creatures and of course being allergic to them which greatly inhibits in depth study.:p
It is likely that they detest you back.
And in my experience at least some cats, knowing that you detest them, will go out of their way to get close to you.
Though I think that behavior is more common towards people who are afraid of cats rather than merely dislike them. At least one of mine will only approach strangers visiting my home if that stranger is frightened of cats.

Back
Top Bottom