Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Wild boar with leeks would make a really good sausage recipe.
Just saying.
@ManueB - sorry for all the drama - chicken and wildlife - it is a lot to handle in that heat. I think I would just be slumped under the hose trying to cool off.
Having killed several boar in the heat, if you kill it and intend to eat it you should first remove the testicles and entrails immediately. This will help protect the meat from harmful bacteria. Of course next thing is to skin it and quarter it. Your partner probably knows these things so I won't go into great detail.

How nasty to have a bear 🐻 on your land.
Do take it easy in that heat. Hope all your chickens wil coop with it. 💌

Having killed several boar in the heat, if you kill it and intend to eat it you should first remove the testicles and entrails immediately. This will help protect the meat from harmful bacteria. Of course next thing is to skin it and quarter it. Your partner probably knows these things so I won't go into great detail.
I don’t think it’s allowed to shoot wildlife in France without a special permit. I do wonder if Manue can do anything about it.

I don’t think it’s allowed to shoot wildlife in France without a special permit. I do wonder if Manue can do anything about it.
My advice was given in the case of if they can shoot it. Here boars are a nuisance. All you need is a hunting license. Perhaps they have game wardens who may be willing to trap and then relocate the boar.

I had no idea they lived in the mountains; do they visit you often? I hope not given how destructive that was on a single night. I imagine they can be dangerous; dealing with a wild boar was one of the labours of Heracles wasn't it? Are you aiming to kill it or just try to deter it?
There are lots here and we kept saying how fortunate we were that none ever came to visit u, because only a very strong electrical fence will keep them out !
It ate the leaks and then made a bath in the damp soil, basically.
A boar 🐗. No 🐻 here !! There are 🐻 in France but only in the Pyrenees, which is right on the other side of the country.
The neighbours with the goats, Amelia, her partner leads of one of the two hunting team so he would do it for us (my partner's father is too tired). The season only begins in September though, until then it's not allowed, but no one will say anything if we kill a boar two weeks early.
My partner utterly hates boar meat, it makes him sick ! I don't mind but I don't know how to prepare it especially in the heat.
His father took him the licence when he was eighteen. On his first outing, he sort of accidentally had a lucky shot killing a mountain wild goat and he never went back hunting again 🤣.

are you still struggling with worms? I was reminded of this homebrew
https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2012/04/pumpkin-soup-nasturtiums-natural.html which you might want to try? This is the right time of year for quite a few of the foods she's recommending. On nasturtiums btw I recently discovered that (as wet plant tissue, so as foraged) they're packed with vit A (nearly twice as much as raw kale), and have half as much again calcium as has dandelion.

A boar 🐗. No 🐻 here !! There are 🐻 in France but only in the Pyrenees, which is right on the other side of the country.
Thank for the correction. I mixed it up indeed. In our language we say beer (boar 🐗) and beer (bear 🐻) to male pigs and bears. Both for wild pigs and domestic pigs.

Beer is pronounced with a ee like in take. We dont confuse it with beer 🍺 if you come to the NL and order it in a cafe or restaurant. 😅

About wildlife. When I was thinking the consternation and damage was about a bear, I thought maybe the bears had expanded their territory to the southern alps. Like the wolf 🐺 has expanded its territory to the eastern part of the Netherlands. We don’t have boars in the place where I live but there are too many ( about 20km north in and around the Veluwe national park. Farmers often complain about damages. Hunting them is allowed all year outside the national park by licensed hunters. But its very difficult to get a permit and to hunt them down. The population kept expanding until 2 years ago. In the cold winter we had back then, the hunters managed to kill about half the wild boar population.

Btw, I’m was wondering what leak is. Google translate doesn’t refer to something you can eat. Translate only knows the verb ‘to leak’ even in a sentence with vegetable. Had to look on google search with ‘leak vegetable’ to get a picture.

Last weekend we visited a small but wonderful, 110 years old, arboretum nearby. After WWII it was neglected but since 10 years a Foundation with a group volunteers made a park and arboretum of it for the second time. With old and new trees, bushes and flowering plants (for insects), it became a little paradise.

Original old stone bench in the Oostereng park.
IMG_3303.jpeg

Thank for the correction. I mixed it up indeed. In our language we say beer (boar 🐗) and beer (bear 🐻) to male pigs and bears. Both for wild pigs and domestic pigs.

Beer is pronounced with a ee like in take. We dont confuse it with beer 🍺 if you come to the NL and order it in a cafe or restaurant. 😅

About wildlife. When I was thinking the consternation and damage was about a bear, I thought maybe the bears had expanded their territory to the southern alps. Like the wolf 🐺 has expanded its territory to the eastern part of the Netherlands. We don’t have boars in the place where I live but there are too many ( about 20km north in and around the Veluwe national park. Farmers often complain about damages. Hunting them is allowed all year outside the national park by licensed hunters. But its very difficult to get a permit and to hunt them down. The population kept expanding until 2 years ago. In the cold winter we had back then, the hunters managed to kill about half the wild boar population.

Btw, I’m was wondering what leak is. Google translate doesn’t refer to something you can eat. Translate only knows the verb ‘to leak’ even in a sentence with vegetable. Had to look on google search with ‘leak vegetable’ to get a picture.

Last weekend we visited a small but wonderful, 110 years old, arboretum nearby. After WWII it was neglected but since 10 years a Foundation with a group volunteers made a park and arboretum of it for the second time. With old and new trees, bushes and flowering plants (for insects), it became a little paradise.

Original old stone bench in the Oostereng park.
View attachment 3616407
Love the bench.
Leek is the vegetable.
Leak is the hole in the bucket.
Different spelling.

Back
Top Bottom