Théo and the chickens des Sauches

I can't wait to see how Pied Beau's feathers will turn out.

Who is this pullet? Very beautiful feathers
View attachment 3613602
It's Ann / Annette, the one chick I was sure was a girl from the start. I also find her very pretty, on top of having beautiful feathers she has big dark eyes and a small slim figure.
Are all the chicks fathered by Gaston? You must have mentioned it before but I missed it.
It's a good question 🙂. Five of the six come from a neighbour's eggs. Annette is named after his wife. The sixth is supposed to be Léa’s egg with Gaston, but we’re seriously questioning that, since none of the young ones look a bit like either. We wonder if it wasn't Merle’s egg- they are very similar to Léa. I don't know enough about colours to know !
@ManueB I hope your heat wave is a short one. I was looking at our 30 day forecast and we should see a drop in temperatures to the middle 90s around the first week of September. Not much rain in our forecast but praying anyways.
Hoping for some rain for you then. I find the drought almost more frightening than the heat. I just don't know how you manage to cope with that weather !
That is great that you (and your animals) will have some relief.
When has middle 90's turned into a relief ? That's the temperature where I start feeling not well !
I know the US have warmer and colder extremes than we do here but still I’m questioning how it's possible to live in triple digits f for long. And with all I read on BYC about the chickens and the heat, I believe handling the heat is going to become a crucial problem for many backyard chicken keepers.
So the temperature is going up but the chickens seem to be adapting better than I am, except for the younger ones, who didn't choose the coolest place to nap and seemed to be stunned by the heat. The good thing about Piou-piou being half broody is that she can stay with the rest of the flock, as she doesn't let either rooster come near. It makes her happy and gives her access to the laurel tree which is the best place for a chicken in a heat wave.

I cleaned the leghorns feet today and they are not healing as well as the others. In particular we had opened one of Nieva’s scab and it has grown again over some yucky stuff. But on my own I didn't manage to pull it all out. I was again unlucky as both hens pooped in the bath and one on my pants 🥴.

After everyone had layed I sprayed the coop with pyrethrum since i’m sure the mites will love the heat, and left it closed. I opened it only at seven, as it's much warmer outside and I'm hoping to keep it a bit cool . Merle and Léa rushed to sit in their nest boxes 😬. I took them off once it was dark and put them on the roost.

And bad news- Piou-piou still has those live tapeworm segments 🤢. We did seven days with the higher scale daily dosage of Flubendazole so.... I’ll still do the recommended dose again after a week, but obviously those worms are resisting. She’s doing great, but it could be from the broody hormones.

Kara is borderline broody. Everytime I open the door of the small second coop and see a hen's butt I feel like I opened the toilets and found someone inside 🤣.
IMG_20230819_084801.jpg
IMG_20230819_092639.jpg
IMG_20230819_125738.jpg
IMG_20230819_164422.jpg
IMG_20230819_164523.jpg

Blurry two sequence action shots : Nougat and Piou-piou.
IMG_20230819_164532.jpg

IMG_20230819_164531.jpg

They chose to nap under the Jerusalem artichokes but it was far from being the coolest place around.
IMG_20230819_164751.jpg

Shake it oh babe
IMG_20230819_171649.jpg
IMG_20230819_171636.jpg
IMG_20230819_172049.jpg
IMG_20230819_172210.jpg
IMG_20230819_175353.jpg

Young pooshoons ( that's how I nickname them) outside, adults in.
IMG_20230819_182248.jpg
IMG_20230819_182347.jpg
IMG_20230819_182605.jpg
IMG_20230819_185107.jpg

Annette's slim figure in the wind.
IMG_20230819_185747.jpg

He tried hard for several minutes to understand what this could be.
IMG_20230819_190119.jpg

You have to attach the hose and turn on the tap to make him understand. 🤦‍♂️
I admit that seeing this without having ever witnessed it working could be puzzling 🤣.

It's warmer today and should reach a peak tomorrow. This morning my partner offered to clean the coop himself so I could go run very early. It has been a nice side effect of leaving him on his own for two days, that it has renewed his implication for the chicken's daily care. Because he does a lot more chores on the whole than I do, I’ve completely taken over basic chores for the chickens. It didn't use to be the case, we shared 50% in the beginning. I don't mind, I enjoy it most of the time, except this summer when the days were really long and I had to get up before 5 to lock Gaston up. But the down side is he’s less implicated and he doesn't really know anymore what their routine is, where things are stored, and so on. To be fair he’s always been helping me when we need to tend to a chicken and he’s the one who does building projects. Anyway it was really nice that he took over as I could go run before the heat set in.

For those of you who share your house with others, do they help you with the chickens, and how do you share chores, or is it your sole responsibility?

Merle and Léa are trying very hard to sit today. I’ve locked them out of the coop where their nest is, but the problem is that they are still laying, so they do need to be let in at some point to lay. Piou-piou, while keeping her broody vibes, will steal leave the nest about two hours after laying.
Up to two pm the chickens looked pretty well but now it's hotter than anything they have ever known and some look like they are suffering a bit. I have put the water running next to the laurel tree and I turn it on for fifteen minutes every hour so they can cool their feet in it. The broodies are staying often in the sun, acting up in front of the locked coop, which isn't great- eventually i’ll let them in the nest for a bit to cool down. Gaston and Théo are alternately watching in front of the laurel tree and staying under- maybe this means they are beginning to "work together" ? The bigger hens are suffering the most - the older ex-batts, Kara and Lily. Blanche looks like she may not make it through the heat, but every time I think she looks really unwell and go see her she perks up and starts chatting even with her eye closed.
Oh, and Chipie laid again today, third egg every two or three days, still in full drama mode. But it's definitely too hot to let anyone set on her clutch of eggs.

All the pooshoons. Born on the 20 May, three months old today.

Petit Blanc.
IMG_20230820_104601.jpg

Pied Beau.
IMG_20230820_104607.jpg

Mélisse.
IMG_20230820_134005.jpg

Laure.
IMG_20230820_105844.jpg

Lulu. Doesn't show on the picture but her earlobes are turning yellow.
IMG_20230820_142002.jpg

Ann or Annette.
IMG_20230820_142149.jpg

IMG_20230820_090727.jpg
IMG_20230820_100241.jpg
IMG_20230820_100913.jpg
IMG_20230820_101003.jpg
IMG_20230820_101015.jpg
IMG_20230820_101158.jpg
IMG_20230820_101215.jpg

Blanche.
IMG_20230820_103244.jpg
IMG_20230820_104515.jpg

Broodies on the nest before being taken off.
IMG_20230820_105038.jpg
IMG_20230820_105145.jpg

Théo is beginning to tidbit for the young pullets! Too young for you old man!
IMG_20230820_115207.jpg
IMG_20230820_133806.jpg
IMG_20230820_132030.jpg

Piou-piou hates Théo's gut and now she’s broody it's a whole drama if he comes near her.
IMG_20230820_132047.jpg

Not in his right mind : 36c in the shade and he does this in the scorching sun?
IMG_20230820_142349.jpg

A clever girl lies to sleep right in the water running from the hose.
IMG_20230820_143126.jpg

Merle again, the broody devil !
IMG_20230820_152816.jpg

Now what have they invented again ???
IMG_20230820_152855.jpg

@lightm I forgot to tell you that I told my father about your crown of jewels comment. He was very flattered, but most of all found it incredible that I was chatting about chickens with an american / chinese mathematician !
He then proceeded to tell me stories about crazy colleagues and their animals. One that was actually funny was when he spent a month in Princeton and one of his colleagues was bringing his newborn lamb to the lab for a few days because the mum had no milk and he was giving it a bib during work hours!

Random post : I had an unexpected little adventure on my run this morning and I took a bunch of pictures. It's one of my usual short run to see the abandoned horse, Gribouille. He lives at the Bez (pronounced Bess) ; there used to be an old direct path just above our house to the stream below, but now we have to go quite a long way round to reach the farm below and go down to the stream, almost 2 kilometers /1.3 miles.. Then it's two kilometers up in a nice shady forest of oaks, hazelnut trees and pines, to reach the abandoned house where Gribouille lives in a beautiful .Once I got to the Bez toward 7am, Claude, the old man that lives in the farm below us, was already there. Everyday he brings bread to Gribouille and he had such a huge stack that i’m not sure he even looked at the pellets I brought him.
IMG_20230820_072019.jpg
IMG_20230820_171741.jpg
IMG_20230820_072111.jpg

After that there is a nice flat path in the woods along the irrigation canal, it's very cool and green. After ten minutes you reach the part that's "olé olé" : a tiny path in the middle of steep black marlstone, going down to cross the stream again, and then climbing up in the marlstone where there is a tiny path, until you reach an old track road.
IMG_20230820_073324.jpg

Looking back on the narrow path across the marlstone. You have to believe it's there !
IMG_20230820_073425.jpg

This is the end of the path and where the concrete block is where you get down to cross the stream.
IMG_20230820_073433.jpg

I wasn't expecting trouble since we only had one storm in ages, and there wasn't much water in the Riou, the stream. However, the path on the other side of the stream to climb up had been completely cleared away. It was impossible to climb the first five meters.
IMG_20230820_073542.jpg

I walked a bit up along the stream and found a marl slide that seemed climbable. But just a few meters from reaching out, it became steeper with less steps or rocks and I felt like I would not make it. I started going down but as everyone one who climbs knows, going up is one thing, but going down quite another. So there was no choice but to go back up- of course there is no phone access there! When I was over the difficult part and saw how easy it looked I felt like a fool.

Once on the old track, looking across to the side I came from.
IMG_20230820_075415.jpg

Then I reached the main road. It goes up from our house to all the old summer homes that are used by the shepherds now. These are Gaston's stables for the goats.
IMG_20230820_080711.jpg

IMG_20230820_171943.jpg

Another one where he puts the rams during lambing season.
IMG_20230820_080941.jpg

This is the end of the main road, 1460m high and the parking for hikers. From there it's a straight run down a steep rather rocky path home !
IMG_20230820_082414.jpg

This is my partner's summer barn.
IMG_20230820_082620.jpg

IMG_20230820_083000.jpg

It's a 10 km fun and easy run that usually takes me 1h35, but this time I took a bit more than 2h🤣.

Attachments

• IMG_20230820_171943.jpg
    IMG_20230820_171943.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 4
@lightm I forgot to tell you that I told my father about your crown of jewels comment. He was very flattered, but most of all found it incredible that I was chatting about chickens with an american / chinese mathematician !
He then proceeded to tell me stories about crazy colleagues and their animals. One that was actually funny was when he spent a month in Princeton and one of his colleagues was bringing his newborn lamb to the lab for a few days because the mum had no milk and he was giving it a bib during work hours!

Random post : I had an unexpected little adventure on my run this morning and I took a bunch of pictures. It's one of my usual short run to see the abandoned horse, Gribouille. He lives at the Bez (pronounced Bess) ; there used to be an old direct path just above our house to the stream below, but now we have to go quite a long way round to reach the farm below and go down to the stream, almost 2 kilometers /1.3 miles.. Then it's two kilometers up in a nice shady forest of oaks, hazelnut trees and pines, to reach the abandoned house where Gribouille lives in a beautiful .Once I got to the Bez toward 7am, Claude, the old man that lives in the farm below us, was already there. Everyday he brings bread to Gribouille and he had such a huge stack that i’m not sure he even looked at the pellets I brought him.
View attachment 3614845View attachment 3614846View attachment 3614847

After that there is a nice flat path in the woods along the irrigation canal, it's very cool and green. After ten minutes you reach the part that's "olé olé" : a tiny path in the middle of steep black marlstone, going down to cross the stream again, and then climbing up in the marlstone where there is a tiny path, until you reach an old track road.
View attachment 3614860
Looking back on the narrow path across the marlstone. You have to believe it's there !
View attachment 3614861
This is the end of the path and where the concrete block is where you get down to cross the stream.
View attachment 3614862
I wasn't expecting trouble since we only had one storm in ages, and there wasn't much water in the Riou, the stream. However, the path on the other side of the stream to climb up had been completely cleared away. It was impossible to climb the first five meters.
View attachment 3614864
I walked a bit up along the stream and found a marl slide that seemed climbable. But just a few meters from reaching out, it became steeper with less steps or rocks and I felt like I would not make it. I started going down but as everyone one who climbs knows, going up is one thing, but going down quite another. So there was no choice but to go back up- of course there is no phone access there! When I was over the difficult part and saw how easy it looked I felt like a fool.

View attachment 3614865
Then I reached the main road. It goes up from our house to all the old summer homes that are used by the shepherds now. These are Gaston's stables for the goats.
View attachment 3614866
View attachment 3614870
Another one where he puts the rams during lambing season.View attachment 3614871
This is the end of the main road, 1460m high and the parking for hikers. From there it's a straight run down a steep rather rocky path home !
View attachment 3614878
View attachment 3614874
View attachment 3614882
It's a 10 km fun and easy run that usually takes me 1h35, but this time I took a bit more than 2h🤣.
I am always amazed at how beautiful it is there. Your pictures make me miss being home in autumn. The Appalachian mountains are very beautiful in October.

View attachment 3614860
View attachment 3614861
View attachment 3614862
View attachment 3614864

View attachment 3614865
View attachment 3614866
View attachment 3614870
Another one where he puts the rams during lambing season.View attachment 3614871
View attachment 3614878
View attachment 3614874
View attachment 3614882
So beautiful! Glad the adventure wasn't even more adventurous - that looks difficult stuff to climb!

View attachment 3614860
View attachment 3614861
View attachment 3614862
View attachment 3614864

View attachment 3614865
View attachment 3614866
View attachment 3614870
View attachment 3614878
View attachment 3614874
View attachment 3614882
Beautiful
How much snow do you get?

PS: Don't get me started about native Americans and the multitude of wrong doings done unto them. My father accidentally received a book called Bury my hear at Wounded Knee. It was a synopsis of the plight of several tribes west of the Mississippi. After reading it several times I can never look at cowboy and Indian movies the same.
Oh me neither!

Back
Top Bottom