Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Some historians say that the people in power made the people believe it was for ideology. But in reality it has always been seizing more power, exploitation, money (gold) and land. :sick
Well other species fight and kill for more resources - their currency may be different but they fight to be king - so maybe we are not really any worse than other species.
:confused:
I don't really believe that - I think in reality we are worse.

Well other species fight and kill for more resources - their currency may be different but they fight to be king - so maybe we are not really any worse than other species.
:confused:
I don't really believe that - I think in reality we are worse.
Like foxes. Clever, cheeky and surplus killers.

To sum up very simply, he stated the position of the person who observes, is determinant to reality, both because one can only see reality partially, and because observation actually impacts it. Led the way to modern physics, quantum mechanics, ethnology, and so much more.
Thank you for explaining! I was thinking only of the categorical imperative and moral reasoning.

Huh. I *do* need to read Kant.

I know very little however on Australian history.
I'm not an Aboriginal Australian, so please don't take my word for it. Instead consult the writings of the victims.

However, I know wrong-doing when I see it and I'm not hostile to hearing about it. I'm sure my own great-grandparents were culpable. I'm sure I'm culpable too, although I try hard not to be.

What I know was learned in school, family, and finally directly from Aboriginal people through my work. I recently mentioned a yarning circle, I also support younger people in learning about culture through being taught by Aboriginal tutors.

The caveats and credentials out of the way, here comes what I know.

It's a sad story of brutality and dispossession of many important things: life, liberty, health, children, knowledges, beliefs, culture to name only a few. But the dispossession that seems to cut deepest is the dispossession of identity with respect to country. I've been told by elders that for 1000s of years the dead were placed in or on the country. The ancestors become the country. The dispossession of Country matters because it breaks thousands of years of careful and loving custodianship. Custoding Country is a responsibility and duty owed to generations upon generations of those who brought forth today's people.

It's also a story of dignity, resilience, certainty, love, and courage in the face of oppression that we can all take lessons from.

I write this from occupied Kaurna country and I pay my respects to the Kaurna people and their leaders, past, present, and emerging. I acknowledge their unique relationship to Country, sea, water, and sky.

Last edited:
@ManueB I hope all is well. Popped in to see how things are going.
Thanks for checking in, you’re very thoughtful! All is fine, I spent two days at my parent's house leaving the chickens in my partner's care. I came back yesterday at 6.30pm with a stomach bug 🥴 so I went to bed very early and only saw the chickens for about half an hour. They seem fine, my partner didn't kill any apparently! He managed to change the bandages and clean the bumblefeet on his own but his bandages are coming off- can't be upset at him I also find it very hard to do on my own. He said the abscesses didn't look great though. He finished Piou-piou’s deworming.
This morning I have to go collect the cheese down the village and do garden chores so I will check the chickens this afternoon and scrutinize poops 😁. I’ll post an update tonight or tomorrow morning! I will also be preparing for the announced heatwave Sunday and onward, forecasted temps of 38/100 which would be a first ever, i’m a bit anxious (don't laugh at me @GregnLety).
Here are the few pics from the last days.
The pics my partner sent me while I was away
IMG_20230817_130308.jpg
IMG_20230816_153216.jpg
IMG_20230816_144754.jpg

El broody diablo!
IMG_20230816_104721.jpg

Running at my parent's place. The valley below is the one I've mentioned behind Nice that's extremely fertile and has changed from being totally cultivated to a huge industrial and commercial zone.
IMG_20230817_070623.jpg
IMG_20230817_072622.jpg
IMG_20230817_070627.jpg

And we collected honey before I left. Pretty happy with the results as we were expecting almost none from the only two hives we have left and there is enough to last us a year.
IMG_20230818_072429.jpg

It's nice to be back with the chickens ! Not having seen them for two days, I realize they all look rather good and active, at least when it's not too warm.

So the good news is that I tended to Cannelle and Nougat's bumblefeet today and both are a lot better. Nougat had a very light wound and it's almost gone. I think we can stop the bandages in a few days. Cannelle is still swollen ; we took away the scab four days ago and it's making a clean little hole, no pus or white stuff, so I think it will heal.
Both hens managed to poop in their foot bath !

But I was less happy to find a louse on Nougat while checking her over in the bath. I have to buy another product to treat them- the poultry dust doesn't last long enough, since it's only effective for three days it needs to be reapplied often and i’ve already finished the bottle.
Piou-piou isn't pooping moving rice grains anymore but there is another chicken that still does.

There’s quite a few wannabe broodies, Piou-piou, Léa, Merle and Kara, so there are broody noises around all day 🤣. Less crowing though as Théo keeps quiet most of the time now.

While I was surprised to see that there seems to be some serious improvement between Gaston and him, Théo himself isn't doing great. We need to cut his nails, we haven't paid enough attention, and they have overgrown. And like last year, he has leg feathers growing weirdly and irritating his skin.
Some Piou-piou sounds.
I’ve laid a egg. I’VE LAID AN EGG.
Broody ?

Looking afraid. He makes that face whenever Gaston comes near.
IMG_20230818_185331.jpg
IMG_20230818_185254.jpg

Lulu. She’s turning out to be very human friendly!
IMG_20230818_183507.jpg

Laure on the other hand wants nothing to do with us.
IMG_20230818_200201.jpg

Pied Beau had a lot of baby talk to catch up with me 🤣
IMG_20230818_181244.jpg
IMG_20230818_164938.jpg
IMG_20230818_164922.jpg
IMG_20230818_164808.jpg
IMG_20230818_164800.jpg
IMG_20230818_164720.jpg
IMG_20230818_150623.jpg

IMG_20230818_134314.jpg
IMG_20230818_123033.jpg
IMG_20230818_121914.jpg

Merle’s summer cool tip : water tastes much better with your feet in the bowl.
IMG_20230818_114520.jpg

Who ate the strawberries ? Not us. Never.
IMG_20230818_103955.jpg
IMG_20230818_103951.jpg
IMG_20230818_101940.jpg
IMG_20230818_101805.jpg

Back
Top Bottom