Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Well, I suppose even if Ikea does it's best to avoid forced labour, it's very existence is part of the reason why we don't find those handful old appliances anymore.
While I never go to IKEA I often buy sport stuff at Decathlon which is the french equivalent of Ikea for sport. Killer prices, stuff made in massive quantities where labour is the cheapest, investing money in research on improving design and reducing costs. I don't like it, but I just can't afford to buy from Patagonia everytime I need running gear or hiking material.
I do try to restrain myself to buying only things I really need. My running socks and shoes often have holes .

Temperatures are finally back to bearable for me 😊. 19/66 this morning and 32/89 now. Almost feels cool ! The chickens also seem to appreciate the slight difference.

Yesterday night we blocked the chicks nest. The layout of their roost made it really easy because it's basically coming out of their nest : we moved their usual ladder just a little et voilà, they landes on the roost instead of in the nest. It went very well though they did wanted to all check individually that it was really not possible to squeeze in the nest.

I was a bit worried this morning because I had exceptionally arranged to meet Gaston the farmer so he could drive me to pick the cheese as my feet are still painful. But he had to do a blood test again, as the blood he had been taken yesterday went bad with the heat. We waited an hour and a half for the nurse. Since I thought it was going to be very quick I had let all the chickens outside but I was gone for two hours and a half. We still have a bald eagle circling around so I was afraid, but the chickens were all safe and enjoying themselves when I came back, so they likely didn't see anything potentially dangerous while I was away.

Last thing I wanted to note is that today a month has passed since I made a disaster at Brune's euthanasia. I've come to terms with it and making a thread about it made me realize it has happened to others, and not always the first time, so it's actually a real possibility. I don't know what I will do should similar circumstances arise. I think I would likely wait until the two of us can deal with it, or at least decide together. I know that even if she felt horrible pain for long minutes, to me, it feels not as bad as letting Caramel die alone without her flock after almost four days hospitalized in an unknown place. But of course, I can't pretend to know how it was for the chickens.

Chicks dustbath yesterday
IMG_20230720_153103.jpg

And roosting.
IMG_20230721_144540.jpg
IMG_20230721_101431.jpg

Piou-piou isn't in great shape today. She spends a lot of time resting.
IMG_20230721_131927.jpg

Gastounet bathing behind the netting.
IMG_20230721_132043.jpg

Blanche next to him has the best spot.
IMG_20230721_132104.jpg

Chipie caught a lime caterpillar but it was too big for her to eat. Cannelle and Piou-piou shared.
IMG_20230721_133730.jpg
IMG_20230721_133816.jpg

Nieva
IMG_20230721_133842.jpg

Alba!
IMG_20230721_133850.jpg
IMG_20230721_133919.jpg

Théo with Chipie.
IMG_20230721_134025.jpg

What's down there ? Some crushed corn fell in that hole.
IMG_20230721_140814.jpg
IMG_20230721_140817.jpg
IMG_20230721_140842.jpg
IMG_20230721_141241.jpg
IMG_20230721_141713.jpg
IMG_20230721_142548.jpg

Gaston's comb is growing dark too. It's just the tips like this during the day but in the evening it turns much darker.
IMG_20230721_142552.jpg

Trying to block Merle's nest...not going well.
IMG_20230721_154354.jpg

I do try to restrain myself to buying only things I really need. My running socks and shoes often have holes .
It sounds like 'really need' only kicks in for you when something is literally falling apart :lol: Can't argue with that one!
Gaston's comb is growing dark too. It's just the tips like this during the day but in the evening it turns much darker.
Fforest's does this too intermittently. I have no idea what causes it, but I have stopped worrying about it.
Trying to block Merle's nest...not going well.
her face is hilarious :gig

It sounds like 'really need' only kicks in for you when something is literally falling apart :lol: Can't argue with that one!
Most trail running shoes and socks are made to last between 600 and 800 km. Up to 2021, I used to run around 400 km a month. That would mean buying a 150 euro shoe every two months if I didn't make them last longer! Now I've just kept the habit.

It was very nice and cool early morning but now though it's only 30/86 we have white
IMG_20230722_105206.jpg
light and strong desert dusty wind. This is becoming typical summer weather here and I can't say I enjoy it.

Not much to say about the chickens.
Piou-piou wasn't well at all yesterday, badly limping from her leg that is turning inward. I couldn't feel anything swollen or hot though. Today she seems slightly better.

The chicks went to roost late, but got on their own on their new roost with no trouble. This morning,maybe ten minutes before opening the coop I heard a strange scream coming from inside- a bit like a broody sound, but definitely not Merle's. I decided to open earlier, thinking maybe one of the younger hens had turned broody and was being bullied. I had it all wrong. It was Petit Blanc doing his first ridiculous attempt at crowing. Even he looked totally bewildered!
IMG_20230721_164835.jpg

The beans on poles make a lot of shade and shelter for the chicks.
IMG_20230722_111238.jpg
IMG_20230721_170651.jpg
IMG_20230721_171001.jpg

Lilly was being bullied by tiny Chipie 😂
IMG_20230721_174200.jpg
IMG_20230721_174202.jpg

IMG_20230721_175857.jpg
IMG_20230721_180550.jpg
IMG_20230721_181106.jpg

My partner has named the yellow mottled chick on the left Laure. It's another pun (and I have to put up with his humor everyday🙄) , Laure is the french version of Laura, but it also means Gold as in l'Or.
He is sure the three remaining chicks are pullets and I think he's probably right 😊🙏.
IMG_20230721_200602.jpg

Old ladies enjoying a cool morning.
IMG_20230722_093628.jpg

IMG_20230722_093714.jpg

Lilly's egg (just below the first white) changes colour. Sometimes it's dark brown like Kara's , sometimes it's lighter and speckled, and sometimes like today it has a bloom that gives it a pinkish purple shade.
I had a surprise egg today from either Cannelle or Blanche. Both ate layer feed and crushed eggshells yesterday evening, and both went in the nest box, so I'm not sure. It's the one on the right that is not totally normal.
IMG_20230722_113123.jpg

IMG_20230722_121946.jpg
IMG_20230722_124236.jpg
IMG_20230722_133137.jpg
IMG_20230722_134239.jpg
IMG_20230722_134346.jpg
IMG_20230722_134728.jpg
IMG_20230722_154046.jpg
IMG_20230722_145447.jpg
IMG_20230722_152521.jpg

That would mean buying a 150 euro shoe every two months if I didn't make them last longer!
:eek: I had no idea modern running shoes were so delicate/apparently unfit for purpose/profit-machines for sportswear firms
It was Petit Blanc doing his first ridiculous attempt at crowing. Even he looked totally bewildered!
they're so funny when they start up :gig our dog is still surprised by his own farts; looks round as if to say 'what on earth was that?' :lau
He is sure the three remaining chicks are pullets and I think he's probably right
yay! you don't need any more roo drama ;)

Random rambling post ! My mind is all over the place, probably because I didn't get enough sleep. I'll do a chicken post after.
First I want to share a typical local recipe using chards. It was Shadrach's post made me think of it but I didn't dare post a recipe in his thread 😂, I will link back to it. It's a traditional dessert that only exists in Nice and it's region, it's not eaten anywhere else in France : sweet chard pie, " tourte de blettes".

For the crust, it's possible to use any classical crust you like. We make one with olive oil. The traditional recipe, however, is the following for a medium pie. (I multiply by 1.5 for my 32 cm pan.)

-250 grams / two cups flour
- 2g raising powder
-125 grams butter / half a cup butter in small dices.
-50 grams sugar / four tsp
-One egg
-A small glass of water.

Sift together flour, sugar and raising powder. Using finger tips, work in the butter rather delicately. Whisk in the egg, then add water until the right consistency is reached (no more than a glass). Wait for at least two hours at room temperature.

For the filling :
-One big, or two small, bunch of chards, using only the leaves.
-One big (or two small) apples grated or very finely diced.
-100g sugar / one cup
-50 g raisins soaked in rhum.
-100 grams pine nuts
-1 tsp orange blossom water
Optional but traditional (I don't put any) : 30 grams grated Parmigiano cheese.

Boil the chards until tender. Put in a colander and press hard until most water is removed (eventually leaving a heavy weight for half an hour over the wet leaves.) Mince finely. Wait until lukewarm or cold and mix with all the other ingredients, leaving a few pine nuts for decorating.
Divide the crust in two balls, one slightly bigger. Spread the bigger one for the lower crust, put in the filling, spread the other ball in a disk to put on top, dampening slightly the border to make sure it sticks to the bottom crust and no filling comes out.
Bake at 200 to 220 / 400 or more (6/7) for half an hour, adjusting time and temp to your oven's usual behaviour 😊.
Some people put pine nuts and powdered sugar on top for decoration before serving. There are endless debates on whether this is orthodoxy or sin!

Old photo from 2021 : ex-batts for egg, chards, et voilà la tourte de blettes !
20210703_091453-COLLAGE.jpg

I had no idea modern running shoes were so delicate/apparently unfit for purpose/profit-machines for sportswear firms
Pet peeve warning, I'll try to be short😂. Sport sector is 2% of the world domestic product so obviously profit is a huge factor. There is a strong minimalism current in trail running that states that for years, brands have been claiming they put a lot of research into innovative sole materials that were supposed to be better support for the foot when in fact, it did just the opposite - supported so much that it stopped feet from functioning using their natural biomechanics. This became really popular with the (fun) book "born to run" in 2009, about the tarahumaras, an Indian tribe from New Mexico who are incredible long distance runners - in Huaraches sandals ! ( That was also the origin of the chia seeds trend by the way!)

While this fad did lead to some excess, I like many other runners believe it to be true that too much cushioning and excess support are not good, that feet need to feel the ground to work properly, and that price has nothing to do with how well a running shoe will suit your feet. Unfortunately all the brands switch their model constantly; so when I found a shoe that worked and was in my budget, I used to buy two or three of the same and push them to 1000 km and many people I ran with did likewise. Seam grip was our friend!

I ran a lot in Innov-8 when they were japanese because they were the longest lasting shoes I've tried. I even got a pair to 1300 km. When their original british owner bought the group back he began putting graphene in all their soles, and that was the end for me. Why do we always have to change things that work perfectly?

A tribute : while her voice was really not my cup of tea, like everyone over 40 in France, I have hummed and heard her most well known songs about a bazillion times. I had to wait for her death to discover that she wasn't only Serges Gainsbourg's muse but also apparently an intelligent, active and multi-talented woman. Funny that it's mostly women who make us forget the 100 years war when they die ! We loved Lady Di and now we love Jane B.

Last edited:
It was even cooler this morning, down to 16, and we were all happy about it, but we still got those hot winds in the afternoon.
The chicken's level of activity is obviously closely correlated to the heat and they were jumping and chasing around butterflies this morning while they spent most of the afternoon napping or resting.
It's very interesting to see how Théo and Gaston are faring together. At times, like early this morning, it seems worse than ever and Gaston keeps chasing Théo. But this afternoon they were actually both in front of the laurel tree, Gaston on watch while Théo was dozing two meters away.

I think on the whole, it will work out in time. I do need to make sure Théo can roost in the coop, and has access to food and water, but that doesn't seem to be a problem since there is food accessible the whole day in different places. He just doesn't get to choose what he wants.

I said some time ago that I was cooking the peas I bought, since they didn't eat them raw and I have 20 kilos to pass. I had the idea of cooking a big batch and freezing, and defrosting and adding some every day to the fermented grain. It's not optimal but at least like this I won't have to throw them away. Well they absolutely love it. In the beginning Gaston used to pick the peas out and tidbit it to the hens. Now the black pullets are going crazy over the peas : they run to the bowl, fly it over and go as quick as possible to eat all of them before anyone else can have any 🙄. I wonder if it's because there are just a few of them, or if they really love them once cooked : they wouldn't try them raw, even soaked for 24 hours.

There was some change at roost time yesterday. Since Cannelle was sick, she had been roosting on the back roost next to Piou-piou and they seemed to get along well. Yesterday she came back to the main roost. When the chicks went to the coop an hour later, several tried to roost on the main roost next to Léa and Cannelle but they didn't succeed, so they slept on their own roost. Pied beau however spent the night next to Piou-piou. She was already fast asleep and didn't bother him.

She was a bit more active today but she still has a very strange gait. She has always had mobility issue. I can't tell if the problem is her deformed leg or if it's her back that hurts.

Chipie needed my coffee this morning.
IMG_20230723_064235.jpg
IMG_20230723_064245.jpg
IMG_20230723_070106.jpg

IMG_20230723_074923.jpg

Lilly wants to lay but the nest is occupied.
IMG_20230723_082849.jpg

IMG_20230723_084346.jpg
IMG_20230723_084443.jpg
IMG_20230723_084755.jpg
IMG_20230723_084957.jpg
IMG_20230723_092622.jpg

Zooming in closely you can see the hole in my shoe 🤣
IMG_20230723_093450.jpg
IMG_20230723_093452.jpg

Oh oh..dreadful situation. Kara is laying and Nougat has decided SHE is laying.
IMG_20230723_093602.jpg
IMG_20230723_093951.jpg

Yes, there is no egg and the nest is blocked with mesh, tile, wood poles and a colander. Where is the problem?
IMG_20230723_094125.jpg
IMG_20230723_105442.jpg

2 roos in one pic again.
IMG_20230723_110003.jpg
IMG_20230723_110939.jpg

I thought only bybob's Hattie did this but I saw Nieva lying down to eat bolted lettuce. I can't believe she's sick because she spent the morning jumping after butterflies. Must be a kind of roman way to eat ?
IMG_20230723_115827.jpg

Ready to blanch and freeze!
IMG_20230723_151433.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230723_120957.jpg
    IMG_20230723_120957.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Why do we always have to change things that work perfectly?
x2. I prefer an 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' approach too. Novelty is overrated imo.
I wonder if it's because there are just a few of them, or if they really love them once cooked : they wouldn't try them raw, even soaked for 24 hours.
What kind of peas are you cooking for them?
I'm glad you've found a variety they like; mine preferred blue/green but I can't find them by the sack here so have settled with the variety mix that they mostly enjoy. As RC said, what type are you using?
Yes, there is no egg and the nest is blocked with mesh, tile, wood poles and a colander. Where is the problem?
:gig She is SO determined!
Ready to blanch and freeze!
They look perfect. You might not be enjoying the weather there. but they are looking great on it!

Random rambling post ! My mind is all over the place, probably because I didn't get enough sleep. I'll do a chicken post after.
First I want to share a typical local recipe using chards. It was Shadrach's post made me think of it but I didn't dare post a recipe in his thread 😂, I will link back to it. It's a traditional dessert that only exists in Nice and it's region, it's not eaten anywhere else in France : sweet chard pie, " tourte de blettes".

For the crust, it's possible to use any classical crust you like. We make one with olive oil. The traditional recipe, however, is the following for a medium pie. (I multiply by 1.5 for my 32 cm pan.)

-250 grams / two cups flour
- 2g raising powder
-125 grams butter / half a cup butter in small dices.
-50 grams sugar / four tsp
-One egg
-A small glass of water.

Sift together flour, sugar and raising powder. Using finger tips, work in the butter rather delicately. Whisk in the egg, then add water until the right consistency is reached (no more than a glass). Wait for at least two hours at room temperature.

For the filling :
-One big, or two small, bunch of chards, using only the leaves.
-One big (or two small) apples grated or very finely diced.
-100g sugar / one cup
-50 g raisins soaked in rhum.
-100 grams pine nuts
-1 tsp orange blossom water
Optional but traditional (I don't put any) : 30 grams grated Parmigiano cheese.

Boil the chards until tender. Put in a colander and press hard until most water is removed (eventually leaving a heavy weight for half an hour over the wet leaves.) Mince finely. Wait until lukewarm or cold and mix with all the other ingredients, leaving a few pine nuts for decorating.
Divide the crust in two balls, one slightly bigger. Spread the bigger one for the lower crust, put in the filling, spread the other ball in a disk to put on top, dampening slightly the border to make sure it sticks to the bottom crust and no filling comes out.
Bake at 200 to 220 / 400 or more (6/7) for half an hour, adjusting time and temp to your oven's usual behaviour 😊.
Some people put pine nuts and powdered sugar on top for decoration before serving. There are endless debates on whether this is orthodoxy or sin!

Old photo from 2021 : ex-batts for egg, chards, et voilà la tourte de blettes !
View attachment 3586050

Pet peeve warning, I'll try to be short😂. Sport sector is 2% of the world domestic product so obviously profit is a huge factor. There is a strong minimalism current in trail running that states that for years, brands have been claiming they put a lot of research into innovative sole materials that were supposed to be better support for the foot when in fact, it did just the opposite - supported so much that it stopped feet from functioning using their natural biomechanics. This became really popular with the (fun) book "born to run" in 2009, about the tarahumaras, an Indian tribe from New Mexico who are incredible long distance runners - in Huaraches sandals ! ( That was also the origin of the chia seeds trend by the way!)

While this fad did lead to some excess, I like many other runners believe it to be true that too much cushioning and excess support are not good, that feet need to feel the ground to work properly, and that price has nothing to do with how well a running shoe will suit your feet. Unfortunately all the brands switch their model constantly; so when I found a shoe that worked and was in my budget, I used to buy two or three of the same and push them to 1000 km and many people I ran with did likewise. Seam grip was our friend!

I ran a lot in Innov-8 when they were japanese because they were the longest lasting shoes I've tried. I even got a pair to 1300 km. When their original british owner bought the group back he began putting graphene in all their soles, and that was the end for me. Why do we always have to change things that work perfectly?

A tribute : while her voice was really not my cup of tea, like everyone over 40 in France, I have hummed and heard her most well known songs about a bazillion times. I had to wait for her death to discover that she wasn't only Serges Gainsbourg's muse but also apparently an intelligent, active and multi-talented woman. Funny that it's mostly women who make us forget the 100 years war when they die ! We loved Lady Di and now we love Jane B.

Thank you for the recipe. Looks wonderful!

What kind of peas are you cooking for them?
I'm glad you've found a variety they like; mine preferred blue/green but I can't find them by the sack here so have settled with the variety mix that they mostly enjoy. As RC said, what type are you using?
Well they only like them cooked and the freezer trick won't work for long as it will be crammed with garden produces at the end of summer!
It just says green peas for pigeons. They look like this cooked.
IMG_20230724_120856.jpg

:gig She is SO determined!
I think she is out of it today after three days of blocking the nest, and taking her out every hour, and forcing her to roost in the coop !
We actually toyed with the idea of giving her three of Chipie's eggs. We don't know how old Chipie is and now she is mating with Théo and laying again after something like 10 months, it may be the last time we have a chance to keep her genetic. As crazy as she is and the worse trouble maker, we have grown very attached to her. But it's just too hot to let Merle sit. The only place that stays bearable during the day is the coop, and with the mites I didn't want to put Merle's health to risk.
Thank you for the recipe. Looks wonderful!
To be honest, it's a love it or hate it pastry. My partner and I both love it !

We had an unexpected thunderstorm at 4 in the morning. I got up to bring inside all the stuff that wouldn't like rain, close the coop and all the house's windows, and of course it rained only for the time I was outside. We need the rain again now !

I revamped the ramp to the roost that's causing such problems to Nougat to climb, adding twice the number of steps and steepening a little so that the arrival on the roost requires only the smallest step. I hope this helps her to climb on it on her own, as it has become quite the drama every evening.

Chipie got into a real fight with Lilly. I didn't see the beginning but probably Lilly got tired of being bullied by a chicken the size of a small pigeon. It became pretty rough and Gaston intervened to separate them, pecking Chipie and herding her off with the shuffling thing. He has grown a lot of confidence because he used to walk away whenever there was a brawl.

Piou-piou is still not well. I can't make up my mind if we should take her to the vet with the heat or not. Maybe we can borrow a car that has AC.

Piou-piou had an explanation with Merle yesterday evening.

IMG_20230723_184223.jpg

IMG_20230723_193137.jpg

IMG_20230724_103433.jpg
IMG_20230724_104721.jpg

IMG_20230724_105016.jpg

Piou-piou 's skin is irritated as she keeps pecking at it. And she's still limping, especially in the morning and evening, and more lethargic than normal.
IMG_20230724_151034.jpg

IMG_20230724_151135.jpg

IMG_20230724_151251.jpg
IMG_20230724_151521.jpg

IMG_20230724_155054.jpg

Back
Top Bottom