Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Pics
sure; as it happens I caught them dustbathing together today
V's daughters.JPG

Frida on the left, Uppsala (who's started laying) in the middle, and Quennel (with a Polish-style headset) in front. The extra here is Hafod, 1 month younger than these 3.

I have a sister who lives in Portland - I understand the climate to be similar to that of the British Isles - and it is very grey and rainy this time of year. We’ve had several storm systems move through here lately, the snowpack in the mountains is an astonishing 130% of normal! We are so many years into a horrible drought, I’m loving any storm that comes, despite the grey days. The chickens not so much, but they are tolerating it pretty well.

sure; as it happens I caught them dustbathing together today
View attachment 3364877
Frida on the left, Uppsala (who's started laying) in the middle, and Quennel (with a Polish-style headset) in front. The extra here is Hafod, 1 month younger than these 3.
They are so beautiful. ❤️

Thank you for your sympathy :lol:

Today for a change we had sun all day :wee, the flock really enjoyed it, and the first of Venka's lookalike daughters started laying. Caught Amadeo making some vit D; he really has grown into a very handsome fella View attachment 3364856
The pullets are pretty but Amadeo is stunning.
He has a kind and wise look I think.

I know you had just enough room for this year's surprise hatches but I would love to see offspring from him.
We are so many years into a horrible drought, I’m loving any storm that comes, despite the grey days. The chickens not so much, but they are tolerating it pretty well.
I know what you mean. I get bad dreams thinking about what will happen if we don't get enough water this winter.

He has a kind and wise look I think
I think they, like beauty, must be in the eye of the beholder :p
If you could hear him too, I'm sure you wouldn't think it, because he still squeaks :lau and he's a right chatterbox :rolleyes: But I do hope he doesn't succumb to whatever took out Phoenix and his brothers last year; only time will tell.
I would love to see offspring from him.
me too, but it will, as you note, cause a capacity crisis again if they all stay healthy.

If you could hear him too, I'm sure you wouldn't think it, because he still squeaks :lau and he's a right chatterbox :rolleyes: But I do hope he doesn't succumb to whatever took out Phoenix and his brothers last year; only time will tell.
I know you lost Llyn ( I hope I spelled his name right). Which was the other brother ?
I was thinking of them recently because of the change in their comb color we talked about this summer. Henry is still alive but for yours it was very probably a foresign of whatever disease killed them.

It's funny (and endearing) that Amadeo squeaks ! Gaston who I think is almost the same age, now has a voice like a basson. That also makes him ridiculous when he whimpers because he's frightened of Théo !

My experience in broodiness has dramatically increased in the last two weeks. This morning Léa didn't get off the nest. Gastounet took Piou-piou to lay (they lay in the same place) and was terrified of the growling animal that could be heard in there. The image is very dark but the sound make it pretty clear what's going on.
Because I was afraid Piou-piou would end up hurting her, I picked growling pancake off the nest and brought her back in the real world.

Other than that the day wasn't very good for the ex-batts. I didn't see what scared the chickens but they were terrified and spent a long time in the run. And, I didn't think at all it would come to this, but now I believe we may loose Blanche. Unless it's the molting that causes her lethargy, she seems to be going downhill. Tonight she was on Théo 's roost, completely huddled against him. Théo has only let Chipie and Cannelle once or twice on his roost and I've never seen him sleeping so close to a hen, I can't help but think he feels something is wrong. She's a crazy little thing that survived countless times I had given up hoping, so I won't give up on her yet.

We had eggs from Blanche (yes, she's still laying even molting and unwell), Nougat, Piou-piou and Léa. And another grey day- I've had enough! Give me blue skies or rain please.
IMG_20230103_101212.jpg
IMG_20230103_134735.jpg
IMG_20230103_142432.jpg
IMG_20230103_100923.jpg
IMG_20230103_092004.jpg
IMG_20230103_130310.jpg
IMG_20230103_095522.jpg
IMG_20230103_075640.jpg
IMG_20230103_130955.jpg
IMG_20230103_080305.jpg
IMG_20230103_131159.jpg

Attachments