Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Pics
Chicken TV was rather entertaining today. Gastounet's hormones have definitely woken up. First thing he did coming out of the coop was try to climb on Piou-piou who screamed for life as he was crushing her. Then he did the wing thing with his three siblings and began tidbitting for them- but he still eats the food he calls them for, because he likes food too much !

That led Léa to decide she would rather stay with Théo's team and the ex-batts than follow Gastounet out in the garden. Théo tolerated her, but he chased both Merle and Piou-piou several times throughout the day. And he turned red (or rather purple) anytime he saw Gaston and chased him at high speeds so many times that Gastounet didn't want to come back in.

Meanwhile Chipie is slowly but surely managing to win Théo's heart back, and she stayed with Léa near him most of the day. She realized much quicker than I thought that she can't fight Gastounet and so now she avoids him.

Obviously there is a size problem. Théo the cross bantam rooster has a court of standards ex-batts too big for him, and Gastounet the huge cockerel finds himself with two tiny hens, Merle the bantam and Piou-piou the runt, and Léa who is a very small standard. I wonder what will happen.

Three hens layed today, but Brune had a long and difficult time, and yesterday she had been in the nest box without success, so I will check on her the next few days.
Cannelle is doing terrible. She refused to eat the medicated scramble egg, we tried with tuna to no avail. She still eats a little layer feed, and has moments when she perks up, but it looks like it will be a matter of days now. Though she could still surprise us as was the case for Vanille and Caramel who both healed from their first illness and gained a few months of life.
View attachment 3304136View attachment 3304137View attachment 3304139
Cannelle enjoyed the sun
View attachment 3304141View attachment 3304143View attachment 3304145
So sorry about Caelle I know how hard it is to watch their decline. I am glad she got to enjoy some sunshine. Maggie (the sun worshiper) seemed to take great comfort from the sun right up until her last couple of days.

I suspect that Chipie was not terrified at all, but rather disdainful of the design or workmanship or something. Did Chipie help oversee construction? They are sharp critics I find.
It was definitely fear, as she made the alarm call and got everyone on alert. I'm not completely sure it was due to "the thing". If it was, I'm afraid to say it's not the design that scared her because they had seen it the evening before with no reaction ; but since I oiled it, it has turned darker and shiny and much more frightening 🤣.
So sorry about Caelle I know how hard it is to watch their decline. I am glad she got to enjoy some sunshine. Maggie (the sun worshiper) seemed to take great comfort from the sun right up until her last couple of days.
Yes, I loved seeing your photos of her taking in the sun, I thought of those taking pictures of Cannelle. It's nice to remember that they are able to have some good moments even when very unwell.
It's difficult actually to take a good picture when they are in full sunlight !

Today was another summer day. Finally we have some colder temperatures forecasted for next week because this is just crazy. I could barely stay outside as it was so warm and there are tons of mosquitoes.

There was little chasing today : Gaston decided he would stay outside and not risk Theo's wrath. Now his main problem is to convince his sister hens to join him, as the three of them can still cross the chicken nettings as they like. I saw him again attempting to mate Piou-piou - there is no doubt he will succeed to crush her if he goes on! And I caught on video his attempt at tidbitting. I'm not sure if he calls and then decides to keep the food for himself or if he's chasing Merle away to give a piece to Piou-piou 🙄.
However there was a huge drama at roosting time. Gaston got on the roost where Chipie was already sleeping for at least half an hour and he attacked her violently. He threw her off the roost and got down himself and attempted to kill her, or at least it looked like it. I had closed the run and was with them inside and I got between them until Chipie got back on the roost. I thought he would throw her down again, but he didn't: apparently he just didn't want her next to him. Of course, she's gone back to Théo now, so it doesn't make sense that she should be roosting with them. I hope in a day or two she will go back to roost next to Théo. This feels like some kind of bad reality show 🤣.

The ex-batts had laying troubles. Blanche screamed so much that she got Théo screaming also. And then Nougat laid a very soft shell egg. This never happens to her, she is the perfect layer. Hopefully it's only she's about to go on her seasonal break as she did last winter, it did her a lot of good.
Cannelle was more active this morning but didn't look good in the afternoon. I was able to check on her nail tonight when she was on the roost and there is definitely nothing I can see. It still bothers her though.

Merle tried "the thing" in the morning. She was the only chicken that approached it today.
IMG_20221028_080531.jpg

Chipie had a strange attitude dustbathing. I saw her doing this once last spring. She stayed completely still even when I got near her, and then at time she stretched her leg behind trembling for a few minutes.
IMG_20221028_111818.jpg

IMG_20221028_111404.jpg

Cannelle in the sun, then with Théo
IMG_20221028_111715.jpg

IMG_20221028_093045.jpg

Piou-piou chose a new inappropriate spot to bathe
IMG_20221028_120404.jpg

Nougat looking a bit off before laying a soft shell. She was perfectly fine after so I'm not really worried.
IMG_20221028_103750.jpg

IMG_20221028_103143.jpg
IMG_20221028_114225.jpg
IMG_20221028_135919.jpg
IMG_20221028_083019.jpg
IMG_20221028_180531.jpg
IMG_20221028_083118.jpg
IMG_20221028_112426.jpg
IMG_20221028_174118.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221028_080719.jpg
    IMG_20221028_080719.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 1
Today was another summer day. Finally we have some colder temperatures forecasted for next week because this is just crazy. I could barely stay outside as it was so warm and there are tons of mosquitoes.

There was little chasing today : Gaston decided he would stay outside and not risk Theo's wrath. Now his main problem is to convince his sister hens to join him, as the three of them can still cross the chicken nettings as they like. I saw him again attempting to mate Piou-piou - there is no doubt he will succeed to crush her if he goes on! And I caught on video his attempt at tidbitting. I'm not sure if he calls and then decides to keep the food for himself or if he's chasing Merle away to give a piece to Piou-piou 🙄.
However there was a huge drama at roosting time. Gaston got on the roost where Chipie was already sleeping for at least half an hour and he attacked her violently. He threw her off the roost and got down himself and attempted to kill her, or at least it looked like it. I had closed the run and was with them inside and I got between them until Chipie got back on the roost. I thought he would throw her down again, but he didn't: apparently he just didn't want her next to him. Of course, she's gone back to Théo now, so it doesn't make sense that she should be roosting with them. I hope in a day or two she will go back to roost next to Théo. This feels like some kind of bad reality show 🤣.

The ex-batts had laying troubles. Blanche screamed so much that she got Théo screaming also. And then Nougat laid a very soft shell egg. This never happens to her, she is the perfect layer. Hopefully it's only she's about to go on her seasonal break as she did last winter, it did her a lot of good.
Cannelle was more active this morning but didn't look good in the afternoon. I was able to check on her nail tonight when she was on the roost and there is definitely nothing I can see. It still bothers her though.

Merle tried "the thing" in the morning. She was the only chicken that approached it today.
View attachment 3304972
Chipie had a strange attitude dustbathing. I saw her doing this once last spring. She stayed completely still even when I got near her, and then at time she stretched her leg behind trembling for a few minutes.
View attachment 3304956
View attachment 3304969
View attachment 3304961
View attachment 3304967
View attachment 3304948
Nougat looking a bit off before laying a soft shell. She was perfectly fine after so I'm not really worried.
View attachment 3304958
View attachment 3304950View attachment 3304953View attachment 3304959View attachment 3304960View attachment 3304964View attachment 3304971View attachment 3304973View attachment 3304976
Such drama!

View attachment 3304972
View attachment 3304956
View attachment 3304969
View attachment 3304961
View attachment 3304967
View attachment 3304948
View attachment 3304958
View attachment 3304950View attachment 3304953View attachment 3304959View attachment 3304960View attachment 3304964View attachment 3304971View attachment 3304973View attachment 3304976
I like Merle. She's got personality.

A day you just would like to forget.
There was a huge fight tonight again. Gastounet tried to kill Chipie until I picked him up (he screamed like a pig) and she managed to escape . And then once Gaston was back on his roost attacking Chipie again, Théo got in the coop and threw Gastounet out. Then he chased him and didn't let him get back in.
When everyone was on their roost Gaston stormed back in, couldn't go up on his roost because to do that he has to jump on where Théo roosts, or take the ladder the ex-batts sleep on. Finally he got on the ladder, literally stepped on them, almost dropping Blanche to the floor, barely managed not to fall himself, and attacked Chipie again. I tried to pick her up to put her on the other side of Merle and Léa but she got in a panic, flew down, and took the other ladder to roost on the other side of the ex-batts. Then Théo started doing a high pitched growl that got everyone silent and I left them like this.

Long story short I think boarding under the same coop won't be possible any longer. I'll talk it over with my partner tonight and either we'll get or make an other coop, either we try to re-home one of the roosters 😞. Good thing we've finished the run because either Gaston or Chipie can sleep in it if we really need an emergency solution. I wonder how I've screwed up so much all my integrations.

There was a huge fight tonight again. Gastounet tried to kill Chipie until I picked him up (he screamed like a pig) and she managed to escape . And then once Gaston was back on his roost attacking Chipie again, Théo got in the coop and threw Gastounet out. Then he chased him and didn't let him get back in.
When everyone was on their roost Gaston stormed back in, couldn't go up on his roost because to do that he has to jump on where Théo roosts, or take the ladder the ex-batts sleep on. Finally he got on the ladder, literally stepped on them, almost dropping Blanche to the floor, barely managed not to fall himself, and attacked Chipie again. I tried to pick her up to put her on the other side of Merle and Léa but she got in a panic, flew down, and took the other ladder to roost on the other side of the ex-batts. Then Théo started doing a high pitched growl that got everyone silent and I left them like this.

Long story short I think boarding under the same coop won't be possible any longer. I'll talk it over with my partner tonight and either we'll get or make an other coop, either we try to re-home one of the roosters 😞. Good thing we've finished the run because either Gaston or Chipie can sleep in it if we really need an emergency solution. I wonder how I've screwed up so much all my integrations.
This stuff isn't easy so go a bit easier on yourself.
It's at this stage multicoop chicken keeping when free ranging starts to make a lot of sense.
I've mentioned before that the roosters fought every day. They were living their lives with their hens and I was just there to fix the dents in body and ego.:rolleyes::D
I must write they look a pretty healthy lot for all that violence and murder.:p

Don’t be so hard on yourself and don’t be too hasty.
Gaston is still young isn’t he? So maybe he will calm down with respect to Chipie.
And it sounds like Theo is doing his job imposing some order in the chaos.
During the day it seems like mostly there is space for them to avoid each other. But no doubt there will be some fighting anyway.
At night, is there another ladder roost you could provide for whoever loses out in the bedtime squabbles?

Poor Chipie. These situations are so difficult.

One solution would be to build Gastounet separate sleeping quarters to keep Chipie safe from injury, and do a rotation by day, letting Théo and Chipie hang with everyone for part of the day while Gastounet has a time out, then vice versa.

We've done this a few times to let certain dynamics calm down. It's slightly labor intensive but temporary.

Either way, it sounds stressful, and I'm sorry you and the chickens des Sauches are going through it.

Back
Top Bottom