Théo and the chickens des Sauches

Pics
Before we came to live here I was addicted to sports, rock climbing then triathlon and ultra trail running. That induced behaviours and actions which would have been called nuts by many, even though I sometimes shared those with small groups of friends. In regard, being obsessed with chicken tv is pretty reasonable and harmless, even if somewhat more lonely and misunderstood 😂.

I'm afraid Chipie isn't looking for love, but for power. She wants a rooster she can dominate. I'm pretty sure she'll go back to Théo now Gaston has broken the spell!

She never realized how small she is. She took on all of my six ex-batts like this when she arrived here, and they never forgave her !
I am liking Chipie - never let her know she is small!

We're done with pouring concrete and inserting the mesh in the water canal. My partner won't be available before sunday evening, we'll have to secure the run temporarily : we're going to see my parents on Monday onday and will have to leave the chickens locked up most of the day.

The ex-batts and Théo spent quite a lot of time under cover, especially Cannelle, who had me worried as she seemed to be sleeping more than should be normal. Theo's comb has turned dark again like this summer, and he's obviously in discomfort from molting. He seems to be slowly reconciliating with Chipie, who for once kept a low profile today.

Gaston on the other hand is beginning to show signs of entering the hormonal stage- he chose no one else but tiny Piou-piou for his first attempts at mating 🙄. He crowed back and forth with Théo a few times during the day.

Three eggs again today, but still none from Cannelle- and Chipie. Chipie's comb has turned very pale and like Théo she is now molting from head and neck.

Piou-piou's quite independent and still completely human shy. Not only will she refuse to eat from our hand, she runs away just seeing a hand with a treat 😮. She's a good forager though and managed to find the last strawberries.
View attachment 3297627
View attachment 3297633
When Chipie dustbathed, Théo came to see her and did the dance with the wing flapping thing.
View attachment 3297628
View attachment 3297638
View attachment 3297632
Still goofy, Gaston
View attachment 3297639
View attachment 3297614

View attachment 3297612
View attachment 3297617
View attachment 3297630
View attachment 3297634
View attachment 3297615
It is all so magical and dreamy. The sun, the scenery, the chickens...♥️♥️

I don't know what happened to Merle- first when I saw her like this I thought something frightened her, but it seemed she was in shock or pain as she didn't react when I touched her. Then a few minutes later she was normal again.
So she just zoned out? Like she was hypnotized? That's a little crazy. I've never seen that.

I am liking Chipie - never let her know she is small!

She is a brave one attacking someone that much larger. She certainly is a complicated lady.
She has been rather subdued for the last two days. Yesterday I thought she was trying to get back to Théo and today I'm not so sure. Yes, she's complicated, even more than the other ladies (chicken ladies I mean).

It is all so magical and dreamy. The sun, the scenery, the chickens...♥️♥️
Wow, thank you so much ! I may frame the photos to hide all the clutter lying around 🙂. And in the spirit of keeping it real, today wasn't dreamy ; it was rainy, and a lousy chicken day .

The rain was excellent news, to stay positive. It went on and off which meant the chickens were coming out and then coming back in to take shelter. It got very tense between Théo and Gaston.

At one point they were all outside when it started raining heavily so they all came back in the coop. Théo threw himself on Gaston and terrorized him out of the coop into the pouring rain. He could have gone into the covered run, but either he was scared of the new set up, either he hasn't really understood that it stays dry as the roof is transparent. So he just stayed outside getting soaked and crying until I gave in and intervened to take the ex-batts and Théo into the run so Gaston could come in.
Cannelle looked not good, though she perked up at times. Blanche had the worse diarrhea in the world (she may have eaten too much watermelon). And Chipie spent half of the day on the roost.

Wants to dominate the world.
IMG_20221021_125327.jpg

Watermelon man.
IMG_20221021_152353.jpg
IMG_20221021_164741.jpg
IMG_20221021_152537.jpg

Léa is the nicest chicken des Sauches.
IMG_20221021_165251.jpg

Cannelle looking not well at all.
IMG_20221021_150511.jpg
IMG_20221021_103348.jpg

Blanche and Cannelle looking better.
IMG_20221021_173128.jpg

IMG_20221021_152933.jpg

IMG_20221021_084231.jpg

IMG_20221021_152909.jpg

IMG_20221021_153012.jpg

IMG_20221021_153323.jpg

Brune
IMG_20221021_175149.jpg

Wow, thank you so much ! I may frame the photos to hide all the clutter lying around 🙂. And in the spirit of keeping it real, today wasn't dreamy ; it was rainy, and a lousy chicken day .

The rain was excellent news, to stay positive. It went on and off which meant the chickens were coming out and then coming back in to take shelter. It got very tense between Théo and Gaston.

At one point they were all outside when it started raining heavily so they all came back in the coop. Théo threw himself on Gaston and terrorized him out of the coop into the pouring rain. He could have gone into the covered run, but either he was scared of the new set up, either he hasn't really understood that it stays dry as the roof is transparent. So he just stayed outside getting soaked and crying until I gave in and intervened to take the ex-batts and Théo into the run so Gaston could come in.
Cannelle looked not good, though she perked up at times. Blanche had the worse diarrhea in the world (she may have eaten too much watermelon). And Chipie spent half of the day on the roost.

View attachment 3298569
Watermelon man.
View attachment 3298570View attachment 3298571View attachment 3298573
Léa is the nicest chicken des Sauches.View attachment 3298574
View attachment 3298582View attachment 3298584
View attachment 3298575
View attachment 3298576
View attachment 3298578
View attachment 3298579
View attachment 3298580
View attachment 3298581
Brune
View attachment 3298604
Even the rain is dreamy! ♥️

View attachment 3298569
Watermelon man.
View attachment 3298570View attachment 3298571View attachment 3298573
Léa is the nicest chicken des Sauches.View attachment 3298574
View attachment 3298582View attachment 3298584
View attachment 3298575
View attachment 3298576
View attachment 3298578
View attachment 3298579
View attachment 3298580
View attachment 3298581
Brune
View attachment 3298604
Léa is a beautiful hen! Such wonderful colours in her feathers.

Poor Canelle. Have you been treating her pain?

Manue's photos take me on a tiny holiday.
I feel the same. I use the word dreamy because I daydream a different life when I look at them.
I am happy with my life as it is and count myself to be exceptionally fortunate, but still - the mountains, the old farmhouse - everything really!

Back
Top Bottom