Théo and the chickens des Sauches

In this article I came across this info too:

Diatomaceous earth (DE) can be used to achieve louse control. A safe and effective way to apply diatomaceous earth is to mix it with sand and allow the birds to dustbathe in the mixture. Mix ~6 cups of food grade DE with ~25 lbs (½ bag) washed play sand in a plastic container (swimming pool or concrete mixing bin) (Fig. 4).

Thought it might help Blanche after the poisonous treatment. I don’t know if she lays eggs anymore, but you should discard them after using fipronil/permetrin for your own health.
I've been putting DT and woodashes in the entrance of the run where some of the chickens dustbathe. But most of them bathe randomly outside, so it won't help them. For the most docile I have also used a mix of turmeric and lemon tea essential oils in olive oil to coat the places where I could see nits. But they are very hard to spot especially if the chicken doesn't stay still.

One thing I've noticed is that some of them now keep the dust they put on during the bath, for several hours. I think it's probably linked to the lice.
I will dust all of them with pyrethrin again next week and I will do another dusting tonight for the chickens that seem to still be really itching, Nieva and Léa.
Blanche doesn't have the strength to bathe, she can't even shake. So I dusted her again with pyrethrin. I still see lice on her, but one at a time. Nothing compared to the hundreds that were there. She hasn't laid for about a year now. I would not use Fipronil on a laying hen or a healthy one because of feces. Blanche doesn't eat anymore so almost nothing comes out🙁.
Today was on the news your government is going to forbid the use of PFAS for consumers (cosmetics and clothing). Such a good thing. Id wish my government was that wise too. But here they always choose short time profit over health. 😤

Last weekend there was a tv program where they interviewed backyard chicken keepers and people who do lab research. Lots of people were sending in eggs to check on PFAS from all over the country. It seems that 40% of the eggs from backyard chickens are contaminated to a dangerous level if you eat an egg daily. And the places with high levels of PFAS often were not where they would have expected it.

Tintin the adopted, spoiled brat with 2 mothers.
View attachment 3791816
It was a good surprise, a law proposal presented by the green party that nobody expected to pass ; but unfortunately they excluded kitchen utensils - teflon and tefal, non sticking coating for pans. And it's not acted yet, it has to be voted by the senate which seems very unlikely as it is.

So Blanche is still hanging there. Unconscious most of the day but when she is awake I now carry her to the parts of the garden covered in hay. I lift some of the hay and she eats a few bugs and worms. It's the only food she takes now. She pretends to scratch a bit and she sometimes has a grab at what the younger pullets dig up. It's better than staying in the crate all day, but then she falls asleep after about ten or twenty minutes.
So we must again ask ourself if it's not the time to make her go.

IMG_20240405_112733.jpg
IMG_20240405_152358.jpg
IMG_20240406_132555.jpg
IMG_20240406_170833.jpg
IMG_20240406_171037.jpg
IMG_20240406_171104.jpg
IMG_20240406_172940.jpg

I've been putting DT and woodashes in the entrance of the run where some of the chickens dustbathe. But most of them bathe randomly outside, so it won't help them. For the most docile I have also used a mix of turmeric and lemon tea essential oils in olive oil to coat the places where I could see nits. But they are very hard to spot especially if the chicken doesn't stay still.

One thing I've noticed is that some of them now keep the dust they put on during the bath, for several hours. I think it's probably linked to the lice.
I will dust all of them with pyrethrin again next week and I will do another dusting tonight for the chickens that seem to still be really itching, Nieva and Léa.
Blanche doesn't have the strength to bathe, she can't even shake. So I dusted her again with pyrethrin. I still see lice on her, but one at a time. Nothing compared to the hundreds that were there. She hasn't laid for about a year now. I would not use Fipronil on a laying hen or a healthy one because of feces. Blanche doesn't eat anymore so almost nothing comes out🙁.

It was a good surprise, a law proposal presented by the green party that nobody expected to pass ; but unfortunately they excluded kitchen utensils - teflon and tefal, non sticking coating for pans. And it's not acted yet, it has to be voted by the senate which seems very unlikely as it is.

So Blanche is still hanging there. Unconscious most of the day but when she is awake I now carry her to the parts of the garden covered in hay. I lift some of the hay and she eats a few bugs and worms. It's the only food she takes now. She pretends to scratch a bit and she sometimes has a grab at what the younger pullets dig up. It's better than staying in the crate all day, but then she falls asleep after about ten or twenty minutes.
So we must again ask ourself if it's not the time to make her go.

View attachment 3793177View attachment 3793178View attachment 3793179View attachment 3793180View attachment 3793181View attachment 3793182View attachment 3793183
It doesn’t sound like she is suffering if she nibbles and naps.
When my time comes I hope it is exactly like that with some kind person to carry me out into the sun to warm my bones.

Honey has waterbelly and is in declining :(. She is in a similar situation as Blanche.

Today is pretty bad for her. Lots of sitting and she only ate a little eggs.
:hugs :hugs:hugs:hugs
I've found these red layer hybrids have such a will to live that they sometimes survive when you dont expect it.
The hard thing for me is, it takes them a long time to die.

Honey has waterbelly and is in declining :(. She is in a similar situation as Blanche.

Today is pretty bad for her. Lots of sitting and she only ate a little eggs.
Sorry to hear this. The experts say waterbelly is not something you can heal when its far gone (when you notice it).
:hugs:hugs:hugs:hugs

Thanks all. Honey has had waterbelly for at least a month by now.

Before 4/5, she still had a pretty good quality of life. Scratching around and fairly normal on eating/pooping.

On 4/6, all of a sudden, she appears to be half blind, but still managed to eat the eggs.

On 4/7 (today), she appears to be completely blind. We have tried many ways to make her eat, but she is not able to. She pecks at random places that is the same height as her beak. It's almost like she is not able to peck down anymore.

Thanks all. Honey has had waterbelly for at least a month by now.

Before 4/5, she still had a pretty good quality of life. Scratching around and fairly normal on eating/pooping.

On 4/6, all of a sudden, she appears to be half blind, but still managed to eat the eggs.

On 4/7 (today), she appears to be completely blind. We have tried many ways to make her eat, but she is not able to. She pecks at random places that is the same height as her beak. It's almost like she is not able to peck down anymore.
I'm sorry, @lightm. It doesn't sound good for Honey and it's tough to see a hen that had such a strong spirit like this.
Once they get to that point where they won't eat for more than a day, I try any food I can think of. Cannelle had a thing for banana before she completely stopped eating.
The only thing Blanche now accepts to eat a bit of is yogurt.

Keeping Honey and you in my thoughts :hugs :hugs :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom