Scovyfive

Chirping
Sep 19, 2020
So I have a duck that has had a cough going back over a month ago. I used vet-rx and she eventually seemed to shake it, but the last week or so she developed labored mouth breathing. Taking her to the vet is not an option, and I have been trying things on my own that I hope may have a chance of helping her. A couple of days ago I started treating her with Valbazen for gapeworm. Here's my trouble. I have been administering her dosage by needleless syringe. I have pried her mouth open as wide as I can (she hates it) and putting the syringe as far back as I can. I was also giving her vitamins this way prior to the Valbazen, so have pried her mouth and fed her this way probably 8 times so far. This last time I heard her coughing after I administered the Valbazen and I finally decided to look up a photo of the anatomy of a duck's mouth. I had understood that the opening to the trachea was in the far back of the tongue, but the illustration I saw on this site shows it in the middle of the throat. I have not seen this opening when I have given her things orally as her tongue always falls back and blocks the opening. I push the tongue to the side and put the fluids in. I am doing this by myself so don't have the option of using both hands to open her mouth and a third hand to administer the fluids.
Have I just been abusing my duck? I feel absolutely awful! How am I going to be able to give her things orally without it ending up in her trachea?
Earlier I was giving her stuff on strawberries and grapes, but she has stopped eating entirely, so this has become my only option. I'm a first time duck owner here, and doing the best I can. I don't want her to die because I didn't take action and tried things that could save her, but I also don't want her to die because my efforts compounded the problem. Is there a better way to do this? I really want to help my duck if I can. I also want to finish her 3rd dose of Valbazen if I think I can safely do it.

20210601_074401.jpg

When I give oral medication I cradle the duck with it's wings tucked with one arm while I take 4 fingers to cradle the back of the head and then with my thumb I hold down the tongue which props the mouth open giving a clear view of the trachea while allowing me to properly place the syringe in the throat. Holding down the tongue is critical because if you don't have a clear view and you haven't been doing this for years there is a good chance you could injure your duck. My thumb essentially serves as a gag which may seem harsh, but not even the friendliest duck is going to allow you to administer medication via syringe without putting up some sort of fight initially. I would rather make my duck be slightly uncomfortable for a few seconds than potentially hurt them permanently. At first you may need someone else to hold your duck and ensure the wings are tucked either with a towel or a semi-football hold. Eventually you will get the hang of it. I administer all oral medications by myself no problem, but it's really a learning process.

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-on-tube-feeding-ducks.1246037/#post-19991441

Here's an informational thread about tube feeding.
I'm sorry your duck isn't feeling well. Try not to beat yourself up too much. We all make mistakes sometimes and all we can do is learn from it.
Thank you so much for this information! Do you know if small amounts of food can be given without the tube, with the syringe only and allowing the natural process to carry it down to the crop?

Thank you, both of these are very helpful. I'm not 100% certain I want to try antibiotics. I have been using oreganol oil because it is anti parasitic, viral, fungal, bacterial. It's potent stuff and has even killed antibiotics resistant pathogens. I'm not certain on dose, so started with just a couple drops 3x a day.

When I give oral medication I cradle the duck with it's wings tucked with one arm while I take 4 fingers to cradle the back of the head and then with my thumb I hold down the tongue which props the mouth open giving a clear view of the trachea while allowing me to properly place the syringe in the throat. Holding down the tongue is critical because if you don't have a clear view and you haven't been doing this for years there is a good chance you could injure your duck. My thumb essentially serves as a gag which may seem harsh, but not even the friendliest duck is going to allow you to administer medication via syringe without putting up some sort of fight initially. I would rather make my duck be slightly uncomfortable for a few seconds than potentially hurt them permanently. At first you may need someone else to hold your duck and ensure the wings are tucked either with a towel or a semi-football hold. Eventually you will get the hang of it. I administer all oral medications by myself no problem, but it's really a learning process.
Thank you for the response! I will try again this morning, and do my best to get her tongue down so I can see better. Thank you for encouraging me not to give up.

Back
Top Bottom