Tell me your experience with Cackle Hatchery

I had a shipping issue with them because I ordered a breed they didn’t have many of so first shipping date came and went. I was gone working and the PO called with chicks. They had shipped a month and a half late without letting me know. The lady at the PO got free chickens. Cackle sent my money back. They tried to do the right thing.

I've ordered from both places. I've never had a bad shipment from Cackle and always gotten extras and strong, healthy chicks.
The last year that my daughter brought chickens to the fair, her Barred Rock rooster from Cackle took Grand Champion rooster over some show-bred birds some folks paid $$$ for.
Goes to show that quality birds are often bred by "hatcheries". I feel it's somewhat of a bad rumor that hatcheries only sell sub quality birds.

A lot of hatcheries work with breeders in their area. Breeders generally strive to achieve.

I've ordered from Cackle many times and have always received exactly what I purchased. Exactly. No accidental cockerels in a pullet order and no extra chicks. Chicks are always healthy and thrive.

I ordered from Ideal once and received a couple of dead chicks. It was the only time in a small order (25) that I ever received dead chicks (I've ordered 100+ and have found a couple). They were pretty rude to me on the phone. Didn't replace or refund. It was a cold spring and they hadn't sent extras. Never ordered from them again.

I have ordered from them for years and always had good customer relations, and the chicks were always always excellent quality and perky and active on arrival. This year I wanted a breed Cackle doesn't carry and used Welp. Don't use Welp, that's all I have to say about them.
Welp Hatchery sources all their layers from Privett Hatchery out of AZ. Welp was bought out a number of yrs ago and is now owned by WinCorp Intl a subsidiary of Aviagen (#1 broiler genetics/breeder). WinCorp sells breeding Cornish Rock cross to South America and offer the #1 and #2 Cornish Cross strains - 308 and 708. We are very fortunately to have access to that quality of CCX. i would never order anything from Privett. It's too bad you didn't do a little research and ask where they source their layer stock. I have done business with Welp for years and have excellent experience with their CCX chix. NO flips, early death and finish with FCR consistent with their contract producers' results. Use only Cackle for solidly bread layers - they also sell exhibition/show stock. McMurray is a close second. All other layer breeders contract out to ind producers for their hatchery eggs. It's a major crap shoot IMHO.

I believe Privett Hatchery is actually in Portales, NM. I have 5 very pretty Buff Rock hens from them that I picked up as week old baby chicks last spring from a local feed store in Danville, VA. They have been very hardy from the start and have laid eggs almost every day this winter but maybe I just got lucky.

I believe Privett Hatchery is actually in Portales, NM. I have 5 very pretty Buff Rock hens from them that I picked up as week old baby chicks last spring from a local feed store in Danville, VA. They have been very hardy from the start and have laid eggs almost every day this winter but maybe I just got lucky.
Privett is nonetheless the supplier of Welp layer chickens. My point was don't bash Welp for the subpar poultry coming out of Privett. You were lucky.

Back
Top Bottom