I noticed that my hens' poo has tapeworms in it :( and was wondering about a few dewormers, which I have researched....

Ivermectin
  1. Does it treat/help with tapeworms? Some sources said Ivermectin did not treat tapeworms.
  2. Will it affect my few currently molting hens?

Safe-guard (Fenbendazole) Dewormer Liquid Goats​

1. Does it treat/help with tapeworms?
  2. Will it affect my few currently molting hens? I read that fenbendazole is very unsafe for molting hens!

Which is better?? Any advice/insight would be much appreciated!

BTW, I have used ivermectin in the past, to treat roundworm, and it worked wonderfully! I was hoping to use Ivermectin again, for treating the tapeworm, but was unsure if it will actually work with tapeworms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome To BYC

Thanks for your patience.
Neither is better for Tapeworms.

Praziquantel is what you want to use for Tapeworm. Here's product info and dosing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

Ivermectin - no, doesn't treat Tapeworm, maybe roundworms. Good for Scaly Leg Mites and Poultry Mites/Lice

Safeguard - Good for treating worms that chickens can have, except for Tapeworm.
Does affect feather growth in molting birds - don't use during molt.

Okay great thanks @Wyorp Rock 😀
I am going to use the Equimax paste…

Is it correct that I will dose my hens once, then repeat in 10 days?

Okay great thanks @Wyorp Rock 😀
I am going to use the Equimax paste…

Is it correct that I will dose my hens once, then repeat in 10 days?
That's what the instructions in the article states -right?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/
Praziquantel is the best drug to treat tapeworms in poultry. Dose is 10 mg/kg (4.54 mg per pound) once repeat in 10-14 days.

Available products
  • Thomas labs make a powder and capsules that are just praziquantel. I need to do the math on this.
  • MedPet make MEDIWORM for pigeons which is praziquantel and pyrantel pamoate.
  • Droncit may be used, but will be very expensive!
  • Wormout Gel has 20 mg/ml Praziquantel, 20 mg/ml Oxfendazole. Dose is 0.23 ml per pound or 1.14 ml per five pounds.
  • Equimax horse paste has 140.3 mg/ml Praziquantel, 18.7 mg/ml ivermectin. Dose is ~0.033 ml per pound, or 0.16 ml per five pounds.
  • Zimectrin Gold horse paste 77.5 mg/ml Praziquantel, 15.5 mg/ml ivermectin. Dose is ~0.06 ml per pound or 0.3 ml per five pounds

Back
Top Bottom