LiseeLou

In the Brooder
May 20, 2021
So, my bro-in-law wishes he was a farmer, and he has a micro greens business that is doing pretty well (think wheatgrass and sprouts, but lots of different plants). We have 3 chickens already, one rooster, two hens. Last month, he bought 5 chicks from Wilco. This had worked out pretty well last year, but this time around there have been some hiccups. 2 chicks died in the first week or so, but 3 have been doing well. Until yesterday when another one died. So, he asked me to care for them since he didn’t have the time. Bless his heart, but my bro is sometimes rather ditzy. He feeds his adult chickens sunflower seeds and sprouts alongside their regular feed and they do very well on it. However, it looks like he has been giving the exact same things to the chicks instead of feed made for them.
Now I have two chicks ~6 weeks old, and both seem to have very swollen crops. They are also kind of scraggly looking, their real feathers that are coming in seem sparse and roughed up. The skin around their crop seems red.
Working under the assumption that they have impacted crops, I’ve given them some coconut oil on a dish and they have been eating it. I’ve also given them some epsom salt water, and this evening I massaged their crops a little. They spent the day today indoors with a heat lamp, no food, but lots of water and the coconut oil. I think they are better, one seems to have its crop down to a normal “I just ate” phase, the other is still big, but much softer than it was.
Any suggestions on helping these guys out? I think my first order of business will be to get chick feed, is there something I can feed them until I can get to the store? Also, I’ve seen a few differing opinions on grit: is sand (like from a sandbox) sufficient? Or dried crushed eggshells? Or should I buy the official stuff?
Also, he’s been keeping them in a wire cage, like what you’d put a rabbit or hamster in, but without any bedding (wood chips, pine shavings) inside. I think he was looking at ease of cleaning. Does the bare wire cause any problems? Is it hard on their feet? I’ve put some wood chips in for now, but it’s not very good long term.
Will the heat lamp being on all night disrupt their sleep?
Sorry for the long post, but I have so many questions. Thanks for any and all advice.

Hi, I have raised quite a few chicks over the years. I have given them non-medicated chick starter. You won't need to give them grit until they start to forage and eat other things besides their chick starter (about 7-8 weeks). I would definitely layer their brooder with a bedding of some sort. My favorite is kiln-dried pine shavings. I have never used wood chips, but I would think they would work fine. Don't use straw though, as the chicks might try to eat some of it and get it lodged in their throats (plus, it's kind of scratchy to walk on). Keep the heat lamp on all the time, but gradually raise it as they get older and can regulate their body temperature. I hope this helps you!

I can’t answer all your questions, but I can help with a few!
You will need chick starter, but you should be able to feed them some hard boiled eggs mashed with oatmeal until you can make it to the store.
You can use play sand as grit for chickens- although I personally use the store bought grit. (they won’t need this at such a young age, however)
They need bedding!! Those wires will be harsh on their feet! (I like to use pine shavings)
They will need the heat lamp on 24/7. It won’t affect their sleep.

Also, I’ve seen a few differing opinions on grit: is sand (like from a sandbox) sufficient? Or dried crushed eggshells? Or should I buy the official stuff?
Also, he’s been keeping them in a wire cage, like what you’d put a rabbit or hamster in, but without any bedding (wood chips, pine shavings) inside. I think he was looking at ease of cleaning. Does the bare wire cause any problems? Is it hard on their feet? I’ve put some wood chips in for now, but it’s not very good long term.
Will the heat lamp being on all night disrupt their sleep?
Chick grit is this size:
grit2.png

As long as you have stone/sand particles that meet that criteria, that will suffice. Because you already suspect they've had issues with impacted crop, I would absolutely make sure they get grit ASAP. Do NOT give eggshell, that's for calcium and does not do a thing for digestion.

Wire is not good for their feet. Bumblefoot is the most common issue that would arise. I raise chicks on wood chips so that's certainly preferable to bare wire.

6 week old chicks should be off heat already, unless you live somewhere where it's either winter or under an unusual cold spell. Did your brother have them under heat, or no? If he'd already removed heat before you picked them up, then I would not add it back in.

However, remember that child chicks are likely just days old when you get them. Their bones are delicate and fragile. They have perplexing respiratory frameworks that can be effortlessly harmed in the event that they are crushed or held too firmly.

Chick grit is this size:
View attachment 2707460

As long as you have stone/sand particles that meet that criteria, that will suffice. Because you already suspect they've had issues with impacted crop, I would absolutely make sure they get grit ASAP. Do NOT give eggshell, that's for calcium and does not do a thing for digestion.

Wire is not good for their feet. Bumblefoot is the most common issue that would arise. I raise chicks on wood chips so that's certainly preferable to bare wire.

6 week old chicks should be off heat already, unless you live somewhere where it's either winter or under an unusual cold spell. Did your brother have them under heat, or no? If he'd already removed heat before you picked them up, then I would not add it back in.
Thanks so much!
I live in Central Oregon, USA. We’ve had a weird spring, it was still going below 40 F at night a month ago, last week was 95F every day, barely 70F at night, now we’re at 60F in the day, and 35F at night 😒. A thing I saw said to keep the lamp on until they are 6 weeks old AND it’s at least 65F around them. My Bro was thinking that they were 2-3 weeks old when he got them, but I’m doubtful, looking at pictures of 6 week old chicks, they don’t look like they are that age yet. I’ll take some pics tomorrow
I’ve given them some sand for grit, but they don’t seem very interested in it. Should I put it in their food?
I’m wanting to start getting the flock accustomed to them as well. We’ve done some “cage within a cage”, just putting the wire cage inside the chicken run. The chief hen definitely tries to bully them. I’m thinking about putting a temporary fence across a quarter of the run so the chicks can have some real outside time out of a cage. I’ve also considered making a temporary coop in the same area for them. When are they ready to sleep in a coop instead of a brooder?

However, remember that child chicks are likely just days old when you get them. Their bones are delicate and fragile. They have perplexing respiratory frameworks that can be effortlessly harmed in the event that they are crushed or held too firmly.
Yes, I think this is how the first 2 chicks died (too young of kids allowed to handle them). Luckily, these guys are a little bigger now, can fly a bit, and don’t seem so fragile.

I can’t answer all your questions, but I can help with a few!
You will need chick starter, but you should be able to feed them some hard boiled eggs mashed with oatmeal until you can make it to the store.
You can use play sand as grit for chickens- although I personally use the store bought grit. (they won’t need this at such a young age, however)
They need bedding!! Those wires will be harsh on their feet! (I like to use pine shavings)
They will need the heat lamp on 24/7. It won’t affect their sleep.
Thanks! Is that raw oats or cooked oatmeal? (I’m assuming no sugar or flavors added 😉)

Thanks so much!
I live in Central Oregon, USA. We’ve had a weird spring, it was still going below 40 F at night a month ago, last week was 95F every day, barely 70F at night, now we’re at 60F in the day, and 35F at night 😒. A thing I saw said to keep the lamp on until they are 6 weeks old AND it’s at least 65F around them. My Bro was thinking that they were 2-3 weeks old when he got them, but I’m doubtful, looking at pictures of 6 week old chicks, they don’t look like they are that age yet. I’ll take some pics tomorrow
I’ve given them some sand for grit, but they don’t seem very interested in it. Should I put it in their food?
I’m wanting to start getting the flock accustomed to them as well. We’ve done some “cage within a cage”, just putting the wire cage inside the chicken run. The chief hen definitely tries to bully them. I’m thinking about putting a temporary fence across a quarter of the run so the chicks can have some real outside time out of a cage. I’ve also considered making a temporary coop in the same area for them. When are they ready to sleep in a coop instead of a brooder?
I take chicks off heat around 4 weeks, down in the mid 40s. Some people have gotten them off heat while it was even cooler, but that's just what I've done.

For the grit, I would sprinkle a tiny pinch on top of their food, and do that 1-2x a week until they're old enough to graduate to the next larger size of grit. At that point I just serve grit in a cup on the side, for them to take as needed.

As far as integrating them into a flock, starting with a see but don't touch set up like you're considering is ideal. Once the hens lose most of their interest in them, you can proceed from there.

I do early integration + brood outdoors, so my chicks are integrated and sleeping in the coop with the adults at around 4 weeks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/short-on-time-recycle-a-prefab-brooder.73985/

Back
Top Bottom