Eggenator

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Hey everyone, I just noticed today that my 11 week old new Hampshire red chick has some sort of swelling under her beak. Please refer to the pictures. The inside of her mouth near her tongue looked swollen as well. Other than this she's acting completely normal. She also has some food stuck in her beak, making me think she's having a bit harder time eating (my finger is unfortunately covering it in the photo, shes wiggly). Her beak is also slightly open when it rests. Any ideas of what this is and how to treat it? Or should I consult a vet?
Edit: i just removed the part that looked like stuck food. It came out it one big hard clump. This may be what was causing the discomfort but im still not sure why that would cause such swelling. Im not even sure if its swelling at this point because the lump under her beak is hard!
20230425_191433.jpg
20230425_191419.jpg

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I just noticed today that my 11 week old new Hampshire red chick has some sort of swelling under her beak. Please refer to the pictures. The inside of her mouth near her tongue looked swollen as well. Other than this she's acting completely normal. She also has some food stuck in her beak, making me think she's having a bit harder time eating (my finger is unfortunately covering it in the photo, shes wiggly). Her beak is also slightly open when it rests. Any ideas of what this is and how to treat it? Or should I consult a vet?View attachment 3482090View attachment 3482091
Odd. Is it squishy or hard?

Is there a bad odor?

Any more of that material inside the beak? Can you get photos?

To me it looks like it's Canker which is contagious. Treatment is Metronidazole.

View attachment 3482230
I didn't notice a bad odor. And I did see this in the photos, I was thinking it might have been a piece of food. I added some more photos in the next reply! Thank you.

Last edited:
Is there a bad odor?

Any more of that material inside the beak? Can you get photos?

To me it looks like it's Canker which is contagious. Treatment is Metronidazole.

View attachment 3482230
Here are some pictures of her this morning. I'm not seeing any yellow lesions.

Attachments

• 20230426_090102.jpg
    20230426_090102.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230426_090033.jpg
    20230426_090033.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230426_090029.jpg
    20230426_090029.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230426_085957.jpg
    20230426_085957.jpg
    422.3 KB · Views: 14
Is vet care an option for you?

I'm not sure what's causing this is you find no material inside the beak.
Perhaps a blocked salivary gland or similar, but it's just a guess.

Is vet care an option for you?

I'm not sure what's causing this is you find no material inside the beak.
Perhaps a blocked salivary gland or similar, but it's just a guess.
We are thinking of getting a vets opinion if it doesn't clear up soon since there's no clear symtpoms. Thank you so much for your help!

Update: we took her to the vet, he suspects its some kind of infection. Just hard to tell how to treat it, so we're doing a general antibioitc and hoping it will work. There was also mention of cancer though, so if the antibiotics don't work the outlook is not good. Thanks to everyone who replied and tried to help!

Update: we took her to the vet, he suspects its some kind of infection. Just hard to tell how to treat it, so we're doing a general antibioitc and hoping it will work. There was also mention of cancer though, so if the antibiotics don't work the outlook is not good. Thanks to everyone who replied and tried to help!
I hope the medication from the vet helps.

Please keep me posted on how she's doing.

Back
Top Bottom