Swedish Flower Hen Thread

Hi again everyone! Weird little comb in my 4 week old crested chick (I think it's a roo). Spoke to the breeder and she's not had any grow out of her chicks that had a different comb. Maybe it's not that weird, just doesn't look truly single like it should :( I was hoping he could be my new flock roo since I have no other crested birds. Oh well :(

Attachments

• 20180517_151110.jpg
    20180517_151110.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20180517_151148.jpg
    20180517_151148.jpg
    374.8 KB · Views: 26
Hi again everyone! Weird little comb in my 4 week old crested chick (I think it's a roo). Spoke to the breeder and she's not had any grow out of her chicks that had a different comb. Maybe it's not that weird, just doesn't look truly single like it should :( I was hoping he could be my new flock roo since I have no other crested birds. Oh well :(
Your chick has sprigs. It is a single comb, but with sprigs. To have sprigs this early is unusual in my experience.

Oh :( I was hoping to breed him since he's my only crested and has a large amount of white :( oh well, he'll be rehomed as a non breeder. Anyone have any crested cockerels available in the south east near or in GA?

Last edited:
I recently acquired a SFH about 2 months old with snow leopard markings. Very sweet and docile but she seems to scratch all th time and she’d what looks like dandruff. Is this normal?

I had my little SFH an entire year before I knew she was a SFH. She came from a "Rare" variety pack from Meyer Hatchery. I kept thinking she looked like a Speckled Sussex but her coloring was not good, too light tan/brown instead of mahogany, but I just figured she wouldn't be a show quality SS. Then one day I came across a Swedish Flower Hen picture and lo and behold that's what my little Dorit looks like! Yay! She is now the proud mama of seven little Orp babies! She has really made me a fan of the SFH!

Advice please:
After a year of having Swedish Flower Hens, I'm finally able to share hatching eggs with others... :celebrate ...but I'd really like to provide locally or regionally, as I'm not gung-ho about shipping eggs.

The girls are laying consistently, the chicks I've hatched out do not have any sign of split wing nor springs nor curled toes - so I'm fairly confident about my flock's genetic status and stability. And yes, I know genetics are challenging and different for EVERY chick - but I think I can provide a good solid representative of the breed.

What's the best way to go about this?

Back
Top Bottom