Sussex, Barnevelders, Silkies... My Breeding Thread.

Somewhere_In_The_Clouds

🎶 You bring colour to my life 🎶
Premium Feather Member
Nov 12, 2022
Australia
A thread for me to post pictures, other random thoughts and updates on my breeding projects.

I currently keep Buff Sussex, Barnevelders (Gold and Silver), silkies and showgirls in various colours.

I'll start with the Sussex and add the others in seperate posts. All recent pictures show chickens in the middle of really heavy moults 😬
I'll also add names moreso to help me keep track 🤣
SOPs is the unofficial goal. I just want to preserve this fairly uncommon variety, with quailty preferably. I purchased some outcrosses and was extremely disappointed in them and finally decided to sell them as I won't be breeding from them.
I have showed a couple times and may again later this year.

Currently I have one older rooster (Thor). He's gotta be at least 6 by now but I'm not sure. I'm no longer using him for breeding but he's the father to quite a few of my hens so I'll still add him in :)
(I'll add a picture later...)

My other rooster is Rodney. I don't intend to breed from him anymore but still have him around because it will take awhile to find a new breeding rooster. And if anything was to happen to some of my hens in the meantime I should be able to hatch some more...
20240420_180015.jpg

One hen, hatched mid to late 2022 (Squash)
Older photo as she is moulting really bad. Ignore the frizzle 😂
20230530_191245-1.jpg

Three hens hatched late 2022, (only Nosey is named currently...). Father is Thor, mother was my hen I lost in December, Spices.

20231014_180923.jpg

(Again moulting)
20240420_175402.jpg

Two pullets hatched October 2023. Father is Rodney, mother was Spices. (Darker one is named NJ)
20240420_175317.jpg

20240427_184016.jpg

A thread for me to post pictures, other random thoughts and updates on my breeding projects.

I currently keep Buff Sussex, Barnevelders (Gold and Silver), silkies and showgirls in various colours.

I'll start with the Sussex and add the others in seperate posts. All recent pictures show chickens in the middle of really heavy moults 😬
I'll also add names moreso to help me keep track 🤣
SOPs is the unofficial goal. I just want to preserve this fairly uncommon variety, with quailty preferably. I purchased some outcrosses and was extremely disappointed in them and finally decided to sell them as I won't be breeding from them.
I have showed a couple times and may again later this year.

Currently I have one older rooster (Thor). He's gotta be at least 6 by now but I'm not sure. I'm no longer using him for breeding but he's the father to quite a few of my hens so I'll still add him in :)
(I'll add a picture later...)

My other rooster is Rodney. I don't intend to breed from him anymore but still have him around because it will take awhile to find a new breeding rooster. And if anything was to happen to some of my hens in the meantime I should be able to hatch some more...
View attachment 3814216
One hen, hatched mid to late 2022 (Squash)
Older photo as she is moulting really bad. Ignore the frizzle 😂
View attachment 3814228

Three hens hatched late 2022, (only Nosey is named currently...). Father is Thor, mother was my hen I lost in December, Spices.

View attachment 3814219
(Again moulting)
View attachment 3814217
Two pullets hatched October 2023. Father is Rodney, mother was Spices. (Darker one is named NJ)
View attachment 3814218
View attachment 3814215
I love it Clouds! I'll be popping in from time to time to see what's new!

I'm impressed with the veriety, and colors you have, Clouds.

You some very pretty birds.

I do have one question though: Why do you not want to breed Rodney anymore?
Thanks!
Both my roosters are split for dark (slate if i remember correctly?) shank colour. I can't keep any cockerels without having to grow them out and test breed them to see if they do too. Combine that with his bad temperament and poor hackle markings getting a new rooster just seems the wisest option.
And I do need an outcross.

Thanks!
Both my roosters are split for dark (slate if i remember correctly?) shank colour. I can't keep any cockerels without having to grow them out and test breed them to see if they do too. Combine that with his bad temperament and poor hackle markings getting a new rooster just seems the wisest option.
And I do need an outcross.
Okay, that makes sense.
I'm kind of in the same predicament with my old English. They just have one or two flaws, and it can be so discouraging. Especially when you've been breeding them for years.

Back
Top Bottom