Surprise Emu eggs!

AgnesGray

Free Ranging
5 Years
Mar 8, 2019
Ohio, US
My Coop
My Coop
A very nice lady called and asked me if I wanted a clutch of emu eggs and of course I do!!

I have hatched many poultry eggs, but never anything this big so I am hoping for some great tips if there is anything I need to know going into this adventure. Thanks in advance!

A very nice lady called and asked me if I wanted a clutch of emu eggs and of course I do!!

I have hatched many poultry eggs, but never anything this big so I am hoping for some great tips if there is anything I need to know going into this adventure. Thanks in advance!
Hold- there are several members on here that have hatched and have threads.
I'll be a bit.

My first question is going to be about incubator choice. I am guessing my army of NR360s aren't going to work for this.
I'd set the humidity at 36% and then just leave it alone there. When you're doing large quantities of eggs, that's kinda what you have to do, just set it somewhere that should work for the majority of eggs and then keep in there.

This year I've been incubating all the eggs from my own pair, and I haven't weighed the eggs at all. Too much work to do all of them. So far I've hatched three out of four eggs that have been due (the fourth got too cold before I collected it and froze, never developed), and the next two are wiggling and should be hatching on Valentine's Day, so this humidity is definitely working out - as I was pretty sure it would, because it was advice from seasoned emu breeders to get it to 36% and then leave it alone.

Does that incubator have any sort of way to add a humidity pump? You could try getting something like the Humidikit that Incubator Warehouse sells to manage the humidity.

Edit: this is from the same thread. I'm not a hatching expert but she did manage to hatch out of that incubator.
Wow, your search skills far exceed mine! Thank you so much! I will give it a shot!

I don't have a humidity pump, but do have a whole room humidifier that I usually operate set to the desired humidity when I am hatching.

Wow, your search skills far exceed mine! Thank you so much! I will give it a shot!

I don't have a humidity pump, but do have a whole room humidifier that I usually operate set to the desired humidity when I am hatching.
That was not search skills- I just remembered it from awhile ago.

About the humidity pump/humidifier - I have no idea, again, I am not a hatching expert. About the only things I hatch are invertebrate eggs and reptile + amphibian eggs.

Hi! You can probably use an NR360 for the first part of the incubation, but there's really not much room for them to hatch in there.

However, some people have started 3D printing risers for NR360s and you can buy them on Etsy. There are even turners for emu eggs.

As for other tips on how to hatch them: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubating-emu-eggs.77228/

Back
Top Bottom