Supposed to be a blue laced red wyandotte pullet?

Chickensandicedcoffee

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2022
I think I got a mixed breed because the lacing is definitely off. I was wondering what other breed is in her possibly? She's huge for 7 weeks, much bigger than the other 3 chicks.. her comb is also very flat basically nonexistent.. I have another female that has a few of these feathers maybe 2 or 3 as well (other than that she looks like a BLR, her comb, feather coloring and stature.. even though she clearly has the mix in her as well since she has a few of these feathers), but this one has almost her whole back of these. I dont mind I think its beautiful.. I just don't know about health risks of mixed breeds and that my babies were supposed to be pure bred BLR.

Attachments

• 20220831_143431.jpg
    20220831_143431.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220831_143426.jpg
    20220831_143426.jpg
    475.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220831_143428.jpg
    20220831_143428.jpg
    466.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220819_151318.jpg
    20220819_151318.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220819_145330.jpg
    20220819_145330.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220815_113501.jpg
    20220815_113501.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 11
:welcome Was this pullet purchased from a breeder or a hatchery? Frequently hatchery birds are not true to standard. Mixed breeds are not a health risk to the flock.
So i did order them through a hatchery, this is the first time I have purchased them through one. She definitely got more of the genes of the other breed lol, I don't mind they're mixed but wish it wasn't advertised as pure bred. Glad to hear about no health risk! She def doesn't have the standard look to her

I don't think it's a mixed breed...I don't think it looks like anything other than a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. Like @sourland said, a lot of times "hatchery quality" birds will have maybe some incomplete lacing or darker or lighter feathers or whatever, maybe not quite up to the SOP for the breed. At least it does look like a female so far though. :)

I just don't know about health risks of mixed breeds and that my babies were supposed to be pure bred BLR.
I do not think she is a mixed breed.

But even if she was, a mixed breed would not have any different health risk than a purebred.

her comb is also very flat basically nonexistent.
That sounds right for a rose comb on a 7-week pullet.

I think I got a mixed breed because the lacing is definitely off....I have another female that has a few of these feathers maybe 2 or 3 as well (other than that she looks like a BLR, her comb, feather coloring and stature.. even though she clearly has the mix in her as well since she has a few of these feathers), but this one has almost her whole back of these.
It is common for chicks to have different patterns in their feathers than what they will have as adults. At 7 weeks, I think you are just seeing chick-patterning in the feathers, and they will both probably look better as they grow up. Being from a hatchery, they may not have perfect lacing anyway, but there's a very good chance they will look better as adults than they do now.

I do not think she is a mixed breed.

But even if she was, a mixed breed would not have any different health risk than a purebred.

That sounds right for a rose comb on a 7-week pullet.

It is common for chicks to have different patterns in their feathers than what they will have as adults. At 7 weeks, I think you are just seeing chick-patterning in the feathers, and they will both probably look better as they grow up. Being from a hatchery, they may not have perfect lacing anyway, but there's a very good chance they will look better as adults than they do now.
Thank you so much for your input! I'm still new so I'm glad to hear that this is a normal thing! I never knew that they could change feather pattern like that. I appreciate all the input from everyone, she just looked so different from the others and my adults I have now never looked like this little girl as babies.

Back
Top Bottom