Suitable climbers for chickens

Mama_femme

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2019
Hi all,
I’m new here and hopeful that someone can help me.

In December we rescued 4x ex battery hens. They’ve settled in well with us and currently have a small pen in the garden. We are now building a more permanent fence to secure their pen and I’d like to grow some nice smelling flowers around the outside.

Realisitically my girls won’t ever be able to access these plants but I’d rather be safe and ensure that what I do plant isn’t toxic to them.

I’m after something that smells good and ideally climbs too. Does anyone have any ideas? I live in England so we have lots of rain and limited sunshine!

Thanks in advance :)

Hi! I don't know about what flower vines to use. I have thought about planting grape vines as a shade and then when the grapes ripen and fall they could have a treat! I hope you find what you're looking for. :)

Hi! I don't know about what flower vines to use. I have thought about planting grape vines as a shade and then when the grapes ripen and fall they could have a treat! I hope you find what you're looking for. :)
Ahh thank you. That’s a great idea! I can find suitable climbers and vines, and I can find things that smell good. I’m just struggling with something that does both! I thought a nice smell would help mask the odours the hen pen sometimes produces!

We live in a very hot, sunny, desert like area. I have always used shade cloth, however this year I am trying two new things.

1. Scarlet runner beans- allegedly grow fast, decent coverage, pretty flowers and beans for us and the chickens to enjoy. But, just an annual.

2. Hops- I am super excited about this. The hops flowers may offer some antibacterial properties to the chickens. Hops plants grow huge, fast with large leaves, so lots of shade. If this works to cover our runs, it'll be the perfect solution

We live in a very hot, sunny, desert like area. I have always used shade cloth, however this year I am trying two new things.

1. Scarlet runner beans- allegedly grow fast, decent coverage, pretty flowers and beans for us and the chickens to enjoy. But, just an annual.

2. Hops- I am super excited about this. The hops flowers may offer some antibacterial properties to the chickens. Hops plants grow huge, fast with large leaves, so lots of shade. If this works to cover our runs, it'll be the perfect solution
I had considered hops. Will do more research. Thank you!

Morning glories. You'll have to protect them while they're young, but they're annuals, they grow pretty fast. When I was a little kid, we had a fence covered in morning glories, and I'd feed the flowers to the neighbor's chickens. The chickens seemed appreciative, and didn't die. I like what I think are called Heavenly Blue morning glories? They make big blue flowers with white streaks. They do fine in Texas with some watering, so they should work for you. Partial shade is probably best.

If you're gonna build it sturdy, wisteria is gorgeous and smells amazing. Trouble is, it's an extraordinarily vigorous climber. If not pruned frequently, it will climb into and either smother or pull down small trees. Our neighbors have one that took down a phone line it managed to climb onto. If you can isolate it from trees and whatnot, it's a beautiful plant.

Back
Top Bottom