Suburban North Texas

dawntreader

Chirping
Jul 29, 2022
Haltom City, TX
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
My wife Rachel and I purchased our first day or two old chicks a month ago, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rock. Amazing how much they grew in just a month! We have them in the house in a large dog crate at the time while we build our chicken coop in the backyard which should be complete in the next 3 weeks. We just added to the flock today with the purchase to complete our flock of 2 Blue Astralorps and an Easter Egger. We've been talking about this for a couple years, reading up, asking questions of friends that raise chickens (where we get our eggs) and counting the cost.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
7, see above.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rock, Blue Astrolorp, Easter Egger.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Enjoying watching them grow and become comfortable with us, our pets and seeing their personalities develop. The names we gave them are so fitting for the way they are becoming!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Community and non-profit activities, computer programming, gardening, wood projects, musician activities, ham radio, grandparenting, self defense and historical/genealogical research.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We typically have an active household with family nearby and our social activities. Becoming empty nesters is right around the corner for us. Retirement is on the horizon from a 38+ year career in software engineering for Jim. We have a family website at suttonsonline.com that tells a little more about us and our interests.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
We found backyardchickens through internet searching (Brave browser) quite some time ago. Loved reading about people's experiences raising chickens and their helpful advice. This evening my wife and I talked about joining so that we could begin sharing some of our experiences raising chickens and give back to a community that has given to us.

Sounds like you are living life to the fullest with all those activities and interests; good for you!

I've had five of the six breeds you have, and while it may not be true for everyone, my Easter Eggers are my "naughty girls," the ones who encourage the others to sneak into places where chickens don't belong. Good thing they are beautiful girls and lay lovely eggs :).

Glad you joined this community. As you know, it's a lot of awesome folks with tons of experience that they are always willing to share. Hope to hear more from you as those babies grow up and the building project progresses.

Welcome to BYC, Jim and Rachel!

Back
Top Bottom