Stumped! Chicken having trouble keeping food in mouth

May 29, 2019
A couple days ago, I noticed that my 5 y/o GLW Drucie had an empty crop--which is unusual for her, because she's pretty voracious. When I put some crumbles on the ground for her (which she loves) she would go for them like she's busily eating them up, but each one drops out. I also noticed while free-ranging that the clovers and other greens she grabs fall out of her beak. So, I put her in a pen with a bowl of mash and she ate it right up. That night, I noticed her eating normally and her crop was full, so I thought it was a fluke.

However, this morning, I once again noticed she was unable to keep food in her mouth--she picks it up and drops it despite continually going for it. I put her in a pen with mash again, and though she was able to get some of it down, she seemed to have a harder time than she did a few days before. She ate very messily and dropped much of it on the ground (I noticed if she's fed from an elevated position, she has an easier time swallowing). She also appears to be hypersalivating. Still, she was able to get some food in her crop, so I feel better for now.

I checked the inside of her beak multiple times and it looks clean, clear and healthy. No plaques or discoloration on the roof of her mouth or tongue; no obstruction that I can see; no issues breathing; no foul odor. I don't see any injuries to her beak from the outside either. She is bright, vocal, and energetic if a bit stilted and maybe frustrated with her eating/drinking. What gives? Any ideas? I don't want to rush another vet trip--mostly due to the cost and the stress on the chicken (and the 25/75 chance it'll help, based on my track record)--but I will if I have to.

Last edited:
A couple days ago, I noticed that my 5 y/o GLW Drucie had an empty crop--which is unusual for her, because she's pretty voracious. When I put some crumbles on the ground for her (which she loves) she would go for them like she's busily eating them up, but each one drops out. I also noticed while free-ranging that the clovers and other greens she grabs fall out of her beak. So, I put her in a pen with a bowl of mash and she ate it right up. That night, I noticed her eating normally and her crop was full, so I thought it was a fluke.

However, this morning, I once again noticed she was unable to keep food in her mouth--she picks it up and drops it despite continually going for it. I put her in a pen with mash again, and though she was able to get some of it down, she seemed to have a harder time than she did a few days before. She ate very messily and dropped much of it on the ground (I noticed if she's fed from an elevated position, she has an easier time swallowing). Still, she was able to get some food in her crop, so I feel better for now.

I checked the inside of her beak multiple times and it looks clean, clear and healthy. No plaques or discoloration on the roof of her mouth or tongue; no obstruction that I can see; no issues breathing; no foul odor. I don't see any injuries to her beak from the outside either. She is bright, vocal, and energetic if a bit stilted and maybe frustrated with her eating/drinking. What gives? Any ideas? I don't want to rush another vet trip--mostly due to the cost and the stress on the chicken (and the 25/75 chance it'll help, based on my track record)--but I will if I have to.
Could just be old age.

Really? At 5? She's been laying like a champ all Spring still, up till as recently as a couple days ago; though I'm not sure if she's paused since this eating trouble (I'll be paying close attention now).
As long as she eats the wet mash fine, she's getting something in her.

Age 5 is considered old, as their lifespan on average is 5 - 10 years.
Chickens have been known to live longer then this though.

As long as she eats the wet mash fine, she's getting something in her.

Age 5 is considered old, as their lifespan on average is 5 - 10 years.
Chickens have been known to live longer then this though.
Unfortunately, she seems to be having even more trouble doing that as of this afternoon. I've also noticed that she seems to be hypersalivating. When she leans down to try to grab food or even random debris on the ground, saliva comes out in strings (clear, no odor).

Are there any poisonous critters around where you live that she might have ingested?

Insect sting or bite or maybe some kind of toad or frog?

Are there any poisonous critters around where you live that she might have ingested?

Insect sting or bite or maybe some kind of toad or frog?
I'm in southwestern Va--i'm sure there could be poisonous critters around, but I'm not sure what she could've gotten into. She's now free ranging, greedily plucking clover flowers off but they seem to have trouble going down; she spits them back up usually all wet with saliva. I don't know what to do about my poor girl!!

Maybe try some antihistamines and/or cortisone.
Do you know the dosage for antihistamines?

I also dosed with Valbazen yesterday, in case of hairworms/capillary worms, which I read can cause difficulty swallowing. Interestingly, when I went to torpedo feed her, she greedily tried to eat them right from my hand. If my hands are above her and the torpedo is tilted down her throat, she's able to get most of it on her own (I forced a few just to make sure she got plenty). Something about picking up from the ground or level to her beak is harder for her to do.

So, she's definitely hungry and wants food, but something is preventing her from eating at normal angles that I cannot see when examining the inside of her beak/mouth/throat.

Back
Top Bottom