Stringing tomato’s!

Greaner_pastures

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
CT
I was wondering if anyone has strung their tomato’s up before and if so if you think something like this would work? Most of the videos I’ve seen use twine and it looks like they do that to wrap around the actual branches for support? With these it’s more fishing line with adjustable tension so I’m hesitant to wrap around the plants and have them get cut into by the sharp line. Will these work or should I go back to traditional twine to hold the tomato’s up?

TYIA

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    786.6 KB · Views: 13
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 8
oh those could work. we usually just use twine or rope. but yeah the fishing line would cut through the plant
That’s what my main worry was cutting through the plant cause it looks like the main idea of supporting the plants is to have the twine wrapped around the branches enough to hold the weight of each branch right?

you can wrap it around the whole plant like a giant spiral but fishing line will still cut through i only ever wrap the branches that i think will have issues. the others just rest on the spiral

you can wrap it around the whole plant like a giant spiral but fishing line will still cut through i only ever wrap the branches that i think will have issues. the others just rest on the spiral
What is your indication that you see that might show an issue meaning you need to wrap the branches? I’m new to this method so any tips/tricks I’m all ears!

You could use tomato clip's that clamp on the line and form a nice loop for tomato. They are very cheap and I have used with fishing line.
I was wondering if anyone has strung their tomato’s up before and if so if you think something like this would work? Most of the videos I’ve seen use twine and it looks like they do that to wrap around the actual branches for support? With these it’s more fishing line with adjustable tension so I’m hesitant to wrap around the plants and have them get cut into by the sharp line. Will these work or should I go back to traditional twine to hold the tomato’s up?

TYIA
U could use tomato clips very cheap and work with fishing line.

I have some input for you to help you. Also I wish you luck and for the best. I hope this works.

So some things to consider...

I would not hang vegetables on string IF ...

If you live in some place with LOTS of high wind gusts.
Also, if you are in an area with too much heat and low humidity...
Or if you can't regulate your watering well...

I'm not saying don't do this. It does work for some people. But it can be less suited to say... the desert southwest. Or an area where you can't have the watering keep up with the water loss.

If you do hang them, people try to be careful about not moving the vines, etc too much at once. They limit it too a small amount each day.

You can still use either twine or fishine line. But instead of just putting it there you create like a blanket between either twine or fishing line to go between the line and where its holding stuff up. And this can be any trash cardboard etc. Also some of this where the line cuts into the plant can be from wind too not just from the plant's weight. So yes you can reinforce it with bits of cardboard but you want to not have it too tight. I did this with sunflowers one year, and it worked pretty well to keep the line from cutting in.

You could try paracord and some other things also. They have imitation parachord at dollar stores. But its less length than the fishine line. I'd still cushion whatever you use with like a homemade cardboard sleeve anyway no matter which one you do.

From where I'm at, I use a different strategy than hanging the vegetable plants because I'm in a southwest climate where our humidity is so low the plants will bake if I don't have some kind of foliage shield going on. But some people do hanging vegetables where they have smaller yards and have to work with what they have where they wish they had a larger lot size.

Good luck to you.

I forgot to say also, people who did hanging vegetables like you are talking about that I know that got it to work often used watering timers, so they could make sure and be very consistent with the water. And they did get it to work well.

Back
Top Bottom