String to slow down hawks

jreardon1918

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 13, 2016
Southeast, MA
My Coop
My Coop
We have a 8'x12' covered secure run. Next to that is an uncovered run roughly 20' x 50'. There are a couple places to hide made out of pallets.
We have had a couple recent losses to hawks. I thought they had moved on, but we lost another hen today.
Covering it even with a net, could be difficult. I am going to try attaching nylon string from an oak tree at one end to points on the coop and run. I may add a post or two in the middle to help support the string. Here is a crude
drawing. Thoughts suggestions? We are adding 6 chicks soon, so the covered run is a bare minimum space. So making the uncovered run safer
seems like a reasonable risk worth taking. Easy for me to talk about risk. :hmm

Attachments

• run.JPG
    run.JPG
    494.2 KB · Views: 28
This is a good idea! You can take it a step further and attach shiny ribbons onto the strings. We used metallic ribbon from Family Dollar. Just knot them onto the string, and let the ends (6” long or so) wave in the breeze. We did this after 3 deaths in 2 days, and haven’t had any more trouble from the hawk. (Our free rangers learned to dive for the bushes whenever they see or hear one overhead).

We have had a couple recent losses to hawks. I thought they had moved on, but we lost another hen today.
They're nesting and raising young, not migrating in my area right now.

I used fishing line across my Silkie pen after losing two chicks.. the attacks didn't continue on that pen.. I made them much closer together using a pound in post near the coop (center pasture) and tying to a pvc pipe (I had on hand, lighter than wood) attached to the post to raise the height so I can walk under. The lines went out like rays of sun to the fence, covered portion, etc. The widest point was about a foot.

The thin line disappears at certain angles but shines with reflective-ness.. I think adding to the challenge of getting in and out more so than I nice high visible line that is easily avoided like branches.

My experience is anecdotal.

Some years I do have to lock up my birds until they leave, especially chicks. The hawks are relentless patient, bold, and they watch our every move. They are also predictable. Arriving at the same time daily. They are ambush predators and chickens have short attention spans so quickly forget about the hawk once it's landed. I go out and blow their cover.. waving my hands, predator calling to the flock, making crow sounds, and acting a crazy fool until the hawks get enough.. they want to eat and will return to the open buffet as long as it's convenient. Shooting at or near them or harm of any sort is illegal in my state. Plus I couldn't possibly nor would I want to kill ALL the wildlife looking for chicken dinner in my area since it IS the reason I moved here.

My extra effort to make it inconvenient.. may be unconventional.. but it's what I came up with after watching nature and trying to get inside their head to communicate effectively essentially. And importantly it worked (after a few days).. NO ambush predator can hunt (effectively) when their cover is blown.

Sorry for your losses! :hugs

I used fishing line across my Silkie pen after losing two chicks.. the attacks didn't continue on that pen.. I made them much closer together using a pound in post near the coop (center pasture) and tying to a pvc pipe (I had on hand, lighter than wood) attached to the post to raise the height so I can walk under. The lines went out like rays of sun to the fence, covered portion, etc. The widest point was about a foot.
[SNIP]

My extra effort to make it inconvenient.. may be unconventional.. but it's what I came up with after watching nature and trying to get inside their head to communicate effectively essentially. And importantly it worked (after a few days).. NO ambush predator can hunt (effectively) when their cover is blown.

I have a big spool of Black nylon string. My thought was it will blend in and be less of an eye sore looking out at it. But, should I be looking at something that is very visible to scare them off? One reply suggested shiny tails hanging down.

The thin line disappears at certain angles but shines with reflective-ness.. I think adding to the challenge of getting in and out more so than I nice high visible line that is easily avoided like branches.

My experience is anecdotal.

Some years I do have to lock up my birds until they leave, especially chicks. The hawks are relentless patient, bold, and they watch our every move. They are also predictable. Arriving at the same time daily. They are ambush predators and chickens have short attention spans so quickly forget about the hawk once it's landed. I go out and blow their cover.. waving my hands, predator calling to the flock, making crow sounds, and acting a crazy fool until the hawks get enough.. they want to eat and will return to the open buffet as long as it's convenient. Shooting at or near them or harm of any sort is illegal in my state. Plus I couldn't possibly nor would I want to kill ALL the wildlife looking for chicken dinner in my area since it IS the reason I moved here.

The method I used was very similar to yours, and so far has proven effective. I know the hawks watch everything because I watch their behavior, too. Believe me, the last time it happened right in front of me, I was mad enough to have shot every hawk within a 10 mile radius - even knowing it was illegal! They were here before us, though, and I couldn’t do that to such a beautiful bird. Venomous snakes in the henhouse, however, is another story.

My black invisible string worked well. To well. I caught a flying creature. Luckily we were able to free it and it flew away unharmed. The string has been removed. Looking for a new plan. The creature was a great horned owl. In guess shiny was the way to go.

Attachments

• A86AD7E8-E2BD-4B52-A843-6F45B91813CE.jpeg
    A86AD7E8-E2BD-4B52-A843-6F45B91813CE.jpeg
    797.6 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom