Stormcrow's Hobby Farm

Older duck moved out of the grow out, turkeys have joined the younger ducks in the grow out. Have to clean the turkey's prior cage out in preparation for moving last (chicken) hatch out, then start another incubation.

Going to remove another rabbit as well, maybe two - we are capable of breeding far faster than we eat them. and the elder drakes. My wife is suggesting rabbit bratwurst. Not sure what we will do to increase fat levels to sausage appropriate ratios. I don't think I have any spare pork fat at present, and bacon fat seems wrong for Brats. The old drakes and the old chickens I culled ??three?? weeks ago will become ground patties.

1716207233225.png

Older duck moved out of the grow out, turkeys have joined the younger ducks in the grow out. Have to clean the turkey's prior cage out in preparation for moving last (chicken) hatch out, then start another incubation.

Going to remove another rabbit as well, maybe two - we are capable of breeding far faster than we eat them. and the elder drakes. My wife is suggesting rabbit bratwurst. Not sure what we will do to increase fat levels to sausage appropriate ratios. I don't think I have any spare pork fat at present, and bacon fat seems wrong for Brats. The old drakes and the old chickens I culled ??three?? weeks ago will become ground patties.

View attachment 3837989
I'm not at a point that I would eat my chickens (besides, they're bantams) but as far as I am concerned Martha can live rent-free as long as she likes. She's turned out to be a wonderful broody, even waited for a staggered hatch to complete! 🥳

And this is why I have 60+ hens and 2 DZ eggs a day :he
I'm running a retirement home
Half my flock is 7-10 years old. 2 of the 10 yr olds have each layed about a dozen eggs each so far this spring. I am amazed!

I'm getting 10 or so eggs per day and it's only 2 of us.

I want chicks and have room but do not need more eggs! :jumpy

I've read the entire statute myself, plus the cross references, AND a keyword search of the entire Florida code. No answer for you, but I've been deep in that rabbit hole.

Trying to get hold of someone at FWC that can explain it to me, because its nowhere in statutes but seems oft repeated on many 3rd party sources, as well as FWC itself. Guessing its some agency rulemaking.

Anyhow, no voicemail, and the person I need to speak with isn't picking up. Will try more tomorrow.
Got hold of FWC.
@NatJ was 99% of the way there.

You can't hunt (or take) grey fox in FL because FWC hasn't established a season for them, nor declared them fair game. However, my fox, in my circumstances, qualifies as a nuisance animal. As it is on my own property, no permit required. And as my property is in the middle of nowhere, they'd prefer I engage in "self-help".

Not sure I want to - my wife did more reading, suspicion is its a female grey fox very active, trying to feed its kits. Activitylevel should drop dramatically in the next month or so. and is likely a problem because the neighbo just knocked down about 20 acres - harvested some timber, left the rest on the ground. Disrupted a lot of nearby habitat.

If not taking the fox means fewer mice and rats, I'm willing to make that trade.

Back
Top Bottom