Stinky run, how do I neutralize the smell?

binza1979

Songster
12 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Utah
I am in the process of putting an addition onto my chicken coop. I will be building it in part of the existing run. The run stinks where the girls have spilled their food and it has gotten wet. They also hang around the food dish area a lot, so I'm sure some of the smell is poop. What can I put on the stink pile to help neutralize the smell without harming the chickens. The coop addition will be built over the stink pile and will have a floor in it. We are also hoping to keep the rodent population under the coop to a minimum. Ideas would be appreciated!!!!

I have heard a lot of good things about putting sand in the run. I put sand in mine sometimes and I also put straw in it.
One thing i plan on doing nextime is taking grass clippings and putting it in the run and see how it works...

I use Hydrated Lime after I clean the run. Then with the chickens out free ranging, give it a day to settle in, then the run is covered with a layer of hay or straw. In a few weeks I repeat. Makes for less smell, great compost and happy chickens. If I had a smaller run I would consider sand as suggested. I use teh lime to help stave off or break worm cycles as I have Turkeys as well and do all I can to keep the little nastys away. BTW...Turkey poo is about 5 times larger then chicken LOL! The wife never has liked that:p

Good post. While my run doesn't stink... Yet. I'm sure it will and the lime suggestion is great, my question: will that hurt them if they are pecking and scratching in it? For some reason its in my head that it would be very bad or their skin and stomachs, I don't know why I think that, I have nothing to base it on so could someone fill me in? I don't Luke being under informed or misinformed, a pet peave of mine.

The biggest issue we watch for is their feet. Lime can burn their feet...hence the hay and removale of the flock from the run for the majority of the day.

It really doesnt take much lime to do the job if you keep a clean run. A light dusting is all we have ever used unless we were tilling up the run for a soil replacement or relocation. Then the flock wouldnt have access to it so its never been an issue.

Last edited:
I have found that the feed getting wet is the biggest cause of the stink. It also attracts flies--they love it. Of course the chickens love the maggots, but I don't.

Anyway, what I have done is move the water and feed completely away from each other. That way the chickens don't splash water on the feed and I don't spill water on it.

If the area gets really wet, like from rain, I learned the hard way that straw is not a big help. Between the wet feed, wet straw and chicken poop it was awful !

So now my chickens smell like chickens but their areas no longer stink.

Susan

Last edited:
I use sweet pdz (stall dry) on the run and coop as well i picked it up at TSC....
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom