Splay leg - how long should the brace stay on?

Gilded Feather

Songster
May 21, 2019
KY-WV line
Lovely BYCers, I need some input.

I received 18 beautiful silkie chicks on Thursday morning. All seemed to be strong and in good health until I got watching them more closely and noticed one had a case of splay leg. It could get up and run just like the others when startled (you wouldn’t know it had anything wrong with it) but when it was eating or resting it would splay it’s legs out to the side at times. It could stand up on it’s own without issue (most of the times with a wider stance), but would be slightly more wobbly than its brooder mates. So after trying the bandaid trick with no luck, I switched to the hair tie and straw method with much more success. Now my question is how long should I leave the brace on? It has already been on 24 hours as of 3pm today. The chick can walk and eat on its own. I haven’t seen it drink on its own but I’m sure it can do so (I do still dip it’s beak every once in a while and offer it drops from a syringe). However it still walks in a wobbly fashion and will try to throw its legs out wider than they should be.

Did I catch this early enough to fix the problem? Should I leave the brace on another 2 or 3 days? I’d hate to lose this sweet baby because of this leg issue. It doesn’t bother me but I don’t want it to end up bothering him/her down the road.

Lovely BYCers, I need some input.

I received 18 beautiful silkie chicks on Thursday morning. All seemed to be strong and in good health until I got watching them more closely and noticed one had a case of splay leg. It could get up and run just like the others when startled (you wouldn’t know it had anything wrong with it) but when it was eating or resting it would splay it’s legs out to the side at times. It could stand up on it’s own without issue (most of the times with a wider stance), but would be slightly more wobbly than its brooder mates. So after trying the bandaid trick with no luck, I switched to the hair tie and straw method with much more success. Now my question is how long should I leave the brace on? It has already been on 24 hours as of 3pm today. The chick can walk and eat on its own. I haven’t seen it drink on its own but I’m sure it can do so (I do still dip it’s beak every once in a while and offer it drops from a syringe). However it still walks in a wobbly fashion and will try to throw its legs out wider than they should be.

Did I catch this early enough to fix the problem? Should I leave the brace on another 2 or 3 days? I’d hate to lose this sweet baby because of this leg issue. It doesn’t bother me but I don’t want it to end up bothering him/her down the road.

How old was the chick when you started with the treatment? I would say that you should keep the brace on for a few more days, then reassess to see if there is improvement. I would not give up on the little one yet, especially if it is still getting around, eating, and drinking. You could try vetwrap if the hairband is not working and also make sure that the flooring is not slick and the chick has enough grippy material under it so it has an easier time getting its footing. Good luck!

http://www.urbanchickenpodcast.com/ucp-blog-025/

How old was the chick when you started with the treatment? I would say that you should keep the brace on for a few more days, then reassess to see if there is improvement. I would not give up on the little one yet, especially if it is still getting around, eating, and drinking. You could try vetwrap if the hairband is not working and also make sure that the flooring is not slick and the chick has enough grippy material under it so it has an easier time getting its footing. Good luck!

http://www.urbanchickenpodcast.com/ucp-blog-025/
I believe it was just 3-4 days old when I got it. So 5 or 6 days old when I hobbled it. It just now is getting the feathers on its wing tips in.

But I’m desperately doing all that I can to make sure it has the best chance to thrive. I saw it actively drinking on its own today so that’s a relief. It sure seems to have quite the fighting spirit for being so tiny. It’s always right in the middle of the feed dish and will fight its way in to eat if it gets pushed out.

The hairband seems to be working well. One side does slip up past it’s hock on one leg so I might just put some bandage around the top to keep it in place better. I will definitely take your advice and keep it on for a couple more days before assessing its progress. Thank you so much for answering!

I believe it was just 3-4 days old when I got it. So 5 or 6 days old when I hobbled it. It just now is getting the feathers on its wing tips in.

But I’m desperately doing all that I can to make sure it has the best chance to thrive. I saw it actively drinking on its own today so that’s a relief. It sure seems to have quite the fighting spirit for being so tiny. It’s always right in the middle of the feed dish and will fight its way in to eat if it gets pushed out.

The hairband seems to be working well. One side does slip up past it’s hock on one leg so I might just put some bandage around the top to keep it in place better. I will definitely take your advice and keep it on for a couple more days before assessing its progress. Thank you so much for answering!
It sounds like your doing all the right things and he/she is doing pretty well. I would be optimistic based on your description. Keep up the good work and post how the little one does!

It sounds like your doing all the right things and he/she is doing pretty well. I would be optimistic based on your description. Keep up the good work and post how the little one does!
Thank you so much and I will definitely keep the post updated! Just your bit of encouragement and advice has really boosted my confidence with this baby. :hugsI have all the hope in the world for him/her now.

Took the brace off this evening (it has been on for 4 days). So far so good. He/she was able to stand on one leg and stretch the other back with a wing with no problem. Hoping this fixed the mild splay leg. :fl

Will update later on progress.
May I ask where you purchased your babies?! I’m in IL looking for a silkie chick or two!

May I ask where you purchased your babies?! I’m in IL looking for a silkie chick or two![/QUOTE
Of course you may! I ordered my babies from Northwoods Poultry, they’re located in Wisconsin. The lady who runs it was super friendly and professional when she shipped them to me last week. I didn’t have to wait long at all to have my order filled. http://northwoodspoultry.com/silkies.htm

Update:

You can’t even tell this little one had anything wrong with it. The only give away from the others is her size, but she looks to be quickly catching up!
EE2EAB3F-EAED-48A0-8C1D-F9659C09F2F0.jpeg

84AF0B10-FCB8-4284-BFFD-63A19ED10014.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom