Speckledhen's Ten Commandments of Good Flock Management

Pics
Thanks for this post, a great print out.
big_smile.png
Great Info!

I'm pretty new to this, but I have already figured out that if I have a question or concern, I look for a Speckledhen post first now. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and your humor with the rest of us!

Thank you guys and you're welcome! I'm not an expert nor am I a vet, but felt that condensing a good management program into ten general steps would help most folks new to chicken keeping. Glad it's been helpful to so many.

Quote:
Just wanted to thank you for these. I was struggling with the decision of whether or not to cull a bird, my first. (Respiratory infection of some kind, and just overall hasn't been a healthy looking bird from day 1.). I know now that it's for the best, definitely for my flock and probably for him as well.

Your sticky has reminded me of what right; thanks again.

Hi Speckledhen~ LOVE your 10 Commandments... with the exception of the "don't unnecessarily de-worm" one. Scratching my head on that one. I'm pretty new to my chicken obsession but I REALLY want to do them well (I have always subscribed to your rule on "if you wouldn't drink the water, neither should the animal", be it horses, dogs, or chickens!). When SHOULD you deworm the flock, and what do you you suggest I use? Thanks for your (and anyone's) input. I loved your post, and I am really enjoying this website.

Many never worm their birds. If they free range on varied forage, they need less worming than if you keep them penned 24/7 because they eat natural wormers on range. I didn't worm mine till the flock was 2 years old and it was because I saw a worm in one rooster's poop (one who was penned more than the main flock). Now, I may do it once a year when production is way, way down, sometimes less often. Invermectin Pour On is good, but Valbazen gets every worm a chicken can get and you give it orally to each one, though it's pricier than Invermection generic.

I have 26 chickens from 2 yrs to 7 months, received them at about 2 days old, from the Feed and Grain Store.

I would like to add just a few more, but, apprehensive, as I would be getting the young hens from a farm. Since my above were raised at our home and their environment , what
they have or do not have is contained. Am , I looking for trouble????

I'm reasonably new to this forum. I think your summary is great. One thing you missed in the item about the chickens showing respiratory disease is gastrointestinal disease. In addition to respiratory disease, gastrointestinal disease is common, especially coccidiosis. Coccidiosis is easy to prevent. Feed a medicated feed.
jh7192

Back
Top Bottom