Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Roo

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

Fliese

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 5, 2012
Yet another roo vs hen question. I have 11 week old chickens which were vent-sexed as day old chicks. They should all be hens, but all the error I hear about make me wonder. Anyways, I can tell by saddle feathers that the Deleware and Barred Rock are hens and the Star is a sex link. I was feeling good about the Sussex, but now I have noticed green/brown iridescent feathers on her back, which makes me wonder. Anyhow, what does the all-knowing Internet think? Hen or roo?

A few more pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matt_and_dana/sets/72157630210014434/

Last edited:
I'm going to guess Hen. At 11 weeks I'd expect way more 'facial adornments'

(borrowed from feathersite)
Roo:

Hen - she's a little iridescent on the back.. aren't most feathers????

None of the other birds have the green iridescent coloring on feathers, and her saddle/tail feathers are on the pointy side, but I had thought a roo would have a larger/redder comb at this point. Thanks for the reassurance. This chicken is my son's favorite. It'd be a shame if he turned out to be a roo (not allowed in city limits). Thank you all!

Looks like a pullet. She will be more speckled with each moult. Hackle and saddle feathers aren't just pointy they are long and slender and pointy. You can see some iridescence in the feathers of this hen.

I have 2 speckled hens that look like the posters picture. My opinion a hen. My 3 speckled roos all had red combs at 8 weeks old then 2 weeks later they started to crow. I like them all so far.

Looks like a roo to me. Mine didn't look like this. The saddle pointed feathering, with the couple of tail feathers starting to come out.Let us know when you find out for sure
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom