Speckled Eggs from my BPR is this possible?

ChicKat

Free Ranging
11 Years
Here are two eggs that my Barred Plymouth Rock pullet, Hester, has laid. She began laying in May and not all her eggs are speckled. I'm not sure how well it will show, but one egg has both brown and a slate blue color pigment markings on the egg. Blue markings are above the pen in the photo. (I think they are pretty cool).

BPRs don't lay speckled eggs, I know, so what else can be mixed in with her to produce such eggs, any thoughts? She is the third chicken photo on my BYC page...incase that would help, but she looks like an ordinary BPR to me.

92697_pulleteggbluespec4x6.jpg

92697_pulleteggspec4x6.jpg

Thanks for any insight that anyone may have.

Speckled eggs are perfectly normal. You just don't see those eggs in the store because they are pulled off the "assembly line". But I think they look really fun. But you usually don't use them in an incubator because they have a lower hatching rate.
jumpy.gif

Wow, that is very special. I have an Ameraucana that does that. Ameraucanas usualy lay a bluish egg. She lays a light brown with purple spots. I love her eggs. However, I think your egg is prettier!

Thank you for the replies!

SDchIck,
wow this is the first I had heard that hatching rate could be lower. I guess BPR never really gets to the grocery supply chain, I do know a grocery where we can get brown speckled, they look like Welsumer eggs! Luckily hatching is far far from my mind right now.

KristyAz,
that makes me feel better, I thought that I had a muntant teenage ninja BPR. Now that I know yours does it too...I will just consider it part of her make up.

Alabama ee,
I'm beginning to have a lot of interest in Ameraucanas, and I bet that the egg with purple spots is awesome. The coloration did make me think that somewhere in my hen's background there was some other influence going on --- like, maybe a blue pigment, but the shell is, like yours, light brown.

THANKS all!

Back
Top Bottom