soybean oil vs canola oil in Chicken feed

As in you add it in? Or the feed has it already?
Soy oil is less harmful than canola /rapeseed oil but in the amounts in chicken feed, if it came that way, I'd say it's negligible either way.
Though if you're adding it in, I'd recommend not doing that.

As in you add it in? Or the feed has it already?
Soy oil is less harmful than canola /rapeseed oil
IMG_6969.jpeg
IMG_6968.jpeg
but in the amounts in chicken feed, if it came that way, I'd say it's negligible either way.
Though if you're adding it in, I'd recommend not doing that.
Thanks for input, sorry to be vague, I was in a hurry. Theres a new feed at TSC and i noticed it has canola oil versus the soybean oil I normally see. Heres the pics i took. Also, its an All Flock feed so theres that too.
IMG_6970.jpeg

I know @My Very First 6 Chickens has the answer they needed, but for others, I'm leaving this here.

OILS like canola or corn are often added to feed to increase the available energy in the feed, by adding fat - and sometimes because is viewed as "good fat" (Omega 3s or whatever).

MEALS like Soy or Rapeseed (Canola) are used as inexpensive concentrated protein sources to boost the total crude protein levels of the feed. Rapeseed meal is often in the neighborhood of 36% crude protein-ish. Soy meals can be found from 46% to over 50% crude protein. However, the balance of amino acids are not the same in the two sources - so while both may end up at the same target crude protein (say, 20%), they could (and will) have wildly different profiles for amounts of Methionine, Threonine, etc.

Pound per pound, Soy meal has more total crude protein, roughly similar amounts of Methionine, about 50% more Lysine, about 25% more Threonine, and about 40% more Tryp than Canola meal.

and in the case of the linked feed, above??? I wouldn't use it. The Methionine levels are way too low, without regard to the total crude protein. Met is like the engine of a train in protein formation. That feed is like showing up at a railyard and looking around - plenty of cars, but with no engines, they aren't doing any good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom