Soy/ corn free maintenance feed recommendations?

HeritageFan

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Sep 21, 2022
I have been using the HomeGrown soy and corn free layer crumbles for my ducks for the last several years...

I have severe corn and soy allergies and, while I don’t have a reaction to the Foster Farms chicken I buy at the store.... I would like my eggs and birds to be brought up with a diet that isn’t likely to be a problem w my allergies.

I had some fertility issues w my duck eggs last season when I finally broke down and bought an incubator. I thought it may have been due to the fact that the ducks were ~ 5yo by the time I tried to hatch a clutch.

However, I was looking more closely at my feed bags, and noticed a line in the label that the feed I’ve been using should not be fed to male birds.

This past year, we have added turkeys to our small farm. And. Straight runs being what they are, we have lots of Toms and a few hens. I transitioned the turkeys to the same feed as the ducks are on once we were able to graduate from the “starter” and subsequent “raiser” feeds.

I would love to get away from Purina. But the Scratch and Peck pellets are the only other soy/ corn free option I’ve found so far, and the difference is 22$ for a 50# bag of HomeGrown/ Purina, vs 41$ for a 40# bag of Scratch and Peck. I can’t (more than) double my feed costs for the birds along w my already doubled grocery and fuel costs over the last few years...

My turkeys are out to free range over our property at least 5-6 days a week, for several hours at a time. They have lots of bugs and healthy early spring grass to enjoy, plus dried meal worm treats on occasions.
The ducks get out as well, but not as often....because there are less of them, and, I have to make sure they “take turns” so we don’t have issues w all the teenagers we have at this point.

Do any of you have any thoughts/ feedback/ suggestions for feed options?
I have found a Nutrena feed that is about the same price, even after adding oyster shell for the girls on the side.... but it’s alllll soy and corn ☹️ I am torn about what to do.

We have:
(All between 33-43 weeks old)
Ducks
1 drake, 5 Welsh Harlequin hens
Turkeys
1 hen, 3 Bourbon red Toms
3 hens, 5 White Holland Toms
* we are working on selling some of the excess Toms, and will process as needed to reduce the numbers *
We also have more poults coming in July, so. I need to figure out a plan!

Any thoughts are welcome.
If you have food allergies and have ideas, please also let me know that 💕

However, I was looking more closely at my feed bags, and noticed a line in the label that the feed I’ve been using should not be fed to male birds.
This is or should be a standard warning on any layer feed. The higher levels of calcium (4%+) can be harmful to non laying hens and male birds. It can cause kidney issues and shorten the expected life span. Non layer feeds should have 1% to 1.6% calcium.

No feed allergies here sorry to hear you do it's much harder to find good/cheaper feeds to meet your allergies and bird's needs. I don't feed my turkeys a layer feed, it is usually lower in protein and not good for birds out of lay or males as @R2elk has stated. I feed a 24% protein game bird feed, but you don't have to go that high in protein, but I like it to keep my breeding stock in prime form all year round. It helps with fall molt and gets them in in prime shape over winter for spring egg laying and helps with stress from nesting/mating season. I feed all my Heritage Turkeys this after 8 to 12 weeks of age for life along with free range pasture and offer oyster shells and grit on the side. I feed my poults a 28% game bird starter crumble with high Lysine and Methionine minimums for up to 12 weeks to support their fast/heavy growth. I also raise Jumbo Quail and Ducks the Quail are fed a very similar feed program, but the Ducks are not they need less protein and higher niacin. All kept separate to cater to each individual needs.

Last edited:
The turkey poults need the high niacin levels also.

@casportpony feeds her ducks the same high protein game bird feed that she gives her pea fowl.
Yes, I have seen that in one of her posts I aways worried about angel wing in ducks with that high of protein. I have never experienced it in any of my ducks and have used my game bird starter on ducklings for a short time when I ran out of their starter. I just always played it on the safe side and feed lower protein to my ducklings.

Yes, I have seen that in one of her posts I aways worried about angel wing in ducks with that high of protein. I have never experienced it in any of my ducks and have used my game bird starter on ducklings for a short time when I ran out of their starter. I just always played it on the safe side and feed lower protein to my ducklings.
Angel wing is not well understood. All I can tell you is that I hatch, raise, and sell at least 100 per year and have not seen any with angel wing.

Angel wing is not well understood. All I can tell you is that I hatch, raise, and sell at least 100 per year and have not seen any with angel wing.
Good to know making things that much easier on buying different feeds. I have some duck eggs incubating now so will do that with this batch. Do you supplement niacin at all for them?

Good to know making things that much easier on buying different feeds. I have some duck eggs incubating now so will do that with this batch. Do you supplement niacin at all for them?
Turkey starter had more than enough niacin for ducklings, so I do not supplement.

Back
Top Bottom