Southeast Indiana Newbie here

crowbar032

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2018
Moores Hill Indiana
Hello all. I'm new to chickens but not to farming and critters. I inherited 80 acres and currently have 18 goats (all bred and expecting any day) and 6 cows (3 calves recently born and 1 to go). I also raise about 20 acres of hay every year. After fighting a losing battle with coyotes, I also got 2 Maremma livestock guard dogs. I bought 6 discounted chickens from TSC with the goal to acclimate the dogs to them. My girlfriend also likes to get some critter to raise from a baby every spring for her kids. This year it is an incubator and ebay eggs. So she has quite a few rare-ish breed eggs inbound. I also just posted a thread about a stock trailer coop.

I don't know how this forum is and I hope it's not offensive, but I fully expect the dogs to play too rough with some of the chickens before I can get them trained. They're currently tied up as they play too rough with the baby goats as well. I'm actively working on their training.

Hello all. I'm new to chickens but not to farming and critters. I inherited 80 acres and currently have 18 goats (all bred and expecting any day) and 6 cows (3 calves recently born and 1 to go). I also raise about 20 acres of hay every year. After fighting a losing battle with coyotes, I also got 2 Maremma livestock guard dogs. I bought 6 discounted chickens from TSC with the goal to acclimate the dogs to them. My girlfriend also likes to get some critter to raise from a baby every spring for her kids. This year it is an incubator and ebay eggs. So she has quite a few rare-ish breed eggs inbound. I also just posted a thread about a stock trailer coop.

I don't know how this forum is and I hope it's not offensive, but I fully expect the dogs to play too rough with some of the chickens before I can get them trained. They're currently tied up as they play too rough with the baby goats as well. I'm actively working on their training.
Hi Crowbar-
Im in Indiana too. We relocated here almost a year ago. Curious about your goats. Will you be selling goats also? What kind do you have if I may ask?

Tammy

Hi Crowbar-
Im in Indiana too. We relocated here almost a year ago. Curious about your goats. Will you be selling goats also? What kind do you have if I may ask?

Tammy
I picked up my goats a few at a time cheap on craigslist over the years. They're mostly boer crosses with nubian. People would get them with the best intentions of milking or whatever then decided they were too much work and would just want out. I typically sell to Brewers Livestock in North Vernon. It's one of those halal certified places that sell to Muslim and Latin American immigrants.

Their training should be while on leash - so you can give corrections at first sign of trouble., lunging at chickens, barking, attempting to chase. Even if the dog doesn't make contact it it horribly stressful to the chickens.

A strong willed dog may need a control collar to strengthen the trainers corrections.

If he has been tied up he will be wilder when he isn't. There are articles on BYC RE: training dogs

Back
Top Bottom