SOS! Part of Chicken's Top Beak Fell Off Leaving Exposed Fleshy Underside

Im glad shes getting better.

It is a very slow process at first, and she will be VERY sleepy, lethargic looking even. For the first day, mine were just out of it, needed cuddles, didn’t do very much at all. Second day was a bit better, and third day they we’re basically all back to normal

She will probably take a while longer, but thats totally normal. Its definitely painful.
Good to know--I imagine it must be painful, and I'm thinking the tiredness is how they show that pain. She is brighter and more alert this afternoon--laid us an egg and ate a decent amount of lunch before she got annoyed about wanting to wipe her face. Usually me blocking her and wiping her ends up making her agitated and she stops eating. I'm wondering when it'll be okay to leave her with a deep bowl of mash unattended so she can eat to her heart's content. I'm still too nervous.

I'll post a photo later today when the light in her room is better. But I'm happy to report the wound is even older and drier looking than it was in the morning :)

@GravityWaves @coach723 @Chicken poppy @shaila I'm hoping this is the last update--and last time I have to bother you! You've been so helpful that's why I'm reaching out.

Willow's exposed quick is looking drier and better by the day. She'd been eating differently during her scheduled/babysat lunches until yesterday evening's. She all the sudden seemed more bothered than ever by her mouth. She kept going as though she was about to take a bite--stopping--then open and closing her beak and shaking her head VIOLENTLY. She did this so much that she started getting viscous spit strings everywhere--and sometimes she'd almost fall over she shook her head so hard.

I thought, maybe, she was dehydrated and her mouth/throat was gummed up with saliva (I hadn't seen her drink yet--just eat her mash). I brought in the outside waterer she's used to and she look interested but resorted to the same behavior when about to drink. In a last ditch attempt to trigger her to drink, thinking she may just be super agitated about her situation and having a tantrum, I put her back in her run with the girls. After a few cautious attempts, she started drinking out there with them--a decent amount. She even ate a little mash on her own, but the sun was going down quickly so she only got a small portion in before she wanted to roost. I let her roost with her girls.

This morning, same thing, reluctant to eat but would drink out there with her flock. I took her inside to see if I could get her to eat a decent amount of mash before putting her back out. She started up with the same behavior, but eventually she settled into eating. I decided to leave her with her bowl for a little without hovering over her. I hope this isn't a mistake.

Do you think she's just agitated about her situation and probably still in pain? At this point, do you think it's okay for me to leave her mash unsupervised and let her back with her flock? Her quick hasn't reopened since my initial post--and I have seen her scratching and wiping her beak a few times before I could intervene. She's a wild soul and really needs to be in her element--I'm hoping it's not too early to let her do that, because I don't know how much longer she can handle being separated. I'm also hoping it gets easier for her to eat soon.

Again, thank you, you are all the best!

I would let her back with the flock. Being separated is very stressful for some birds. I would just keep an eye on her to make sure she's eating and drinking well, not losing weight, and that the beak continues to heal. Sometimes when birds are injured they can develop 'habits' and it takes a while for their brains to realize that they are really ok again. So she may think or expect that it hurts, and will soon get over that. It may still be a little sensitive also, that will get better. Sounds like she's doing well over all.

@GravityWaves @coach723 @Chicken poppy @shaila I'm hoping this is the last update--and last time I have to bother you! You've been so helpful that's why I'm reaching out.

Willow's exposed quick is looking drier and better by the day. She'd been eating differently during her scheduled/babysat lunches until yesterday evening's. She all the sudden seemed more bothered than ever by her mouth. She kept going as though she was about to take a bite--stopping--then open and closing her beak and shaking her head VIOLENTLY. She did this so much that she started getting viscous spit strings everywhere--and sometimes she'd almost fall over she shook her head so hard.

I thought, maybe, she was dehydrated and her mouth/throat was gummed up with saliva (I hadn't seen her drink yet--just eat her mash). I brought in the outside waterer she's used to and she look interested but resorted to the same behavior when about to drink. In a last ditch attempt to trigger her to drink, thinking she may just be super agitated about her situation and having a tantrum, I put her back in her run with the girls. After a few cautious attempts, she started drinking out there with them--a decent amount. She even ate a little mash on her own, but the sun was going down quickly so she only got a small portion in before she wanted to roost. I let her roost with her girls.

This morning, same thing, reluctant to eat but would drink out there with her flock. I took her inside to see if I could get her to eat a decent amount of mash before putting her back out. She started up with the same behavior, but eventually she settled into eating. I decided to leave her with her bowl for a little without hovering over her. I hope this isn't a mistake.

Do you think she's just agitated about her situation and probably still in pain? At this point, do you think it's okay for me to leave her mash unsupervised and let her back with her flock? Her quick hasn't reopened since my initial post--and I have seen her scratching and wiping her beak a few times before I could intervene. She's a wild soul and really needs to be in her element--I'm hoping it's not too early to let her do that, because I don't know how much longer she can handle being separated. I'm also hoping it gets easier for her to eat soon.

Again, thank you, you are all the best!
You aren’t bothering me! Im glad shes improving.

Not sure on the violent shaking, mine did seem to get bothered by theirs though. Maybe was something stuck on it?

I would let her back in, yes. But still keep a rough eye on her.

Hope she continues to get better and improve! :hugs

I would let her back with the flock. Being separated is very stressful for some birds. I would just keep an eye on her to make sure she's eating and drinking well, not losing weight, and that the beak continues to heal. Sometimes when birds are injured they can develop 'habits' and it takes a while for their brains to realize that they are really ok again. So she may think or expect that it hurts, and will soon get over that. It may still be a little sensitive also, that will get better. Sounds like she's doing well over all.
That's what I'm gonna do then. I think she's doing much better. I left her in the basement with a bowl of mash--she layed an egg and finished it. I'll keep her with her flock when I'm around and take her in with a bowl of mash a few times a day to make sure she eats enough.

Hopefully her wound won't reopen that easily anymore.

Thanks for all your help!!!

You aren’t bothering me! Im glad shes improving.

Not sure on the violent shaking, mine did seem to get bothered by theirs though. Maybe was something stuck on it?

I would let her back in, yes. But still keep a rough eye on her.

Hope she continues to get better and improve! :hugs
It was strange and upsetting to watch, but it seems those issues have passed. She just ate a big bowl of mash on her own and layed an egg. I'll keep her with the others and take her in for a private meal a few times a day.

I appreciate your kind support!!

@coach723 @Chicken poppy she is out in the run. This is her beak--the dark part is the quick. Since she's been out she is drinking, scratching and pecking around quite a bit. As such, she's always got dirt and crud stuck to it. I hope that's okay on her beak :fl

20220514_124026.jpg

Back
Top Bottom