Sores on ducks feet

Donny duck

Hatching
Mar 18, 2017
Eton, QLD, AU
Hi I have 3 welsh harlequin/khaki Campbell ducklings they are 2 weeks old and the smallest one doesn't walk around as much as the other 2 so I looked at her feet and she has a sore on each foot. does anyone know what it could be from?
[/IMG]

Hi I have 3 welsh harlequin/khaki Campbell ducklings they are 2 weeks old and the smallest one doesn't walk around as much as the other 2 so I looked at her feet and she has a sore on each foot. does anyone know what it could be from?
[/URL]
@Donny duck looks like bumble foot started. What kind of ground are they on, brooder bedding ? usually bumble comes from a small cut or thorn in the foot and then because of what they walk in bacteria from poop etc they get an infection. This can be life threatening if left un treated so very important you try and find out how they are getting this and also treat those lil webs.

1.Check feet for any splinters or thorns remove if you find any,
2. soak the feet in a warm Epsom salt water solution 1/2 cup of ES to half gallon of warm water. If bumble is only one one foot I still put both feet into the bucket easier on me and the bird to put both feet in. Try to keep it in there as long as possible You can also use a deep bowl but might get dumped easier with squirming duckling.
FYI don't let duck drink this solution it is also a laxative.
3. Then after soaking and drying those webs take a qtip and apply colorless[clear]iodine [found at most pharmacies] including Walmart if you have one close. It needs to be clear because the ammonia in the clear brings the bumble to the surface.
4. After a few days soak again and applying the c iodine then try and gently peel off the scab if there is one then hopefully the bumble will come out with gentle prodding or use sterile tweezers, pus in poultry is solid not runny, if there isn't then just keep this routine up till healed. You need to catch this early so it doesn't require cutting, cutting should always be last resort.

But you need to address why this is happening to such a young duckling so it doesn't happen again. Bless it's heart that does look painful and such a precious face.
Welcome to BYC!!

@Donny duck
   looks like bumble foot  started.  What kind of ground are they on, brooder bedding ? usually bumble comes from a small cut or thorn in the foot and then because of what they walk in bacteria from poop etc they get an infection.  This can be life threatening if left un treated so very important you try and find out how they are getting this and also treat those lil webs.

1.Check feet for any splinters or thorns remove if you find any,
2. soak the feet in a warm Epsom salt water solution 1/2 cup of ES to half gallon of warm water. If bumble is only one one foot I still put both feet into the bucket easier on me and the bird to put both feet in. Try to keep it in there as long as possible You can also use a deep bowl but might get dumped easier with squirming duckling.
FYI don't let duck drink this solution it is also a laxative.
3. Then after soaking and drying those webs take a qtip and apply colorless[clear]iodine [found at most pharmacies] including Walmart if you have one close.  It needs to be clear because the ammonia in the clear brings the bumble to the surface.
4. After a few days soak again and applying the c iodine then try and gently peel off the scab if there is one then hopefully the bumble will come out with gentle prodding or use sterile tweezers, pus in poultry is solid not runny,  if there isn't then just keep this routine up till healed.  You need to catch this early so it doesn't require cutting, cutting should always be last resort.

But you need to address why this is happening to such a young duckling so it doesn't happen again. Bless it's heart that does look painful  and such a precious face.
  Welcome to BYC!!

Thankyou so much! I will do that straight away!

Back
Top Bottom