something wrong with chick neck

MyISAbrownhens

Songster
6 Years
May 23, 2017
Virginia
Somethings wrong with my chicks neck, it’s about a month old, and she keeps tucking it under herself like it hurts to hold up. She’s not drinking, and something is definetly wrong. Please help, I don’t know what to do.

Attachments

• 1752CC55-35D0-4AEF-ACED-9CC21C3DF288.jpeg
    1752CC55-35D0-4AEF-ACED-9CC21C3DF288.jpeg
    437.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 6789F75B-270E-4448-9087-61700B5A2465.jpeg
    6789F75B-270E-4448-9087-61700B5A2465.jpeg
    478.4 KB · Views: 13
It's probably wry neck. It can be from genetics, disease, injury, or vitamin deficiency. Vitamin deficiency is not uncommon. I would supplement with 400iu of vitamin E daily with a bit of scrambled egg, canned tuna, or sunflower seeds for selenium (helps the uptake of the vitamin E), and 1/4 to 1/2 a B complex tablet or capsule mixed in some moistened feed (human B complex, not time release), and hopefully she will recover. Wry neck can present as sideways twisting, bending under like yours, or staring straight up (star gazing), lots of variations. The link below also has a video at the bottom showing how to help them feed, which you may need to do.
More on wry neck:
https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/wry-neck.html

It's probably wry neck. It can be from genetics, disease, injury, or vitamin deficiency. Vitamin deficiency is not uncommon. I would supplement with 400iu of vitamin E daily with a bit of scrambled egg, canned tuna, or sunflower seeds for selenium (helps the uptake of the vitamin E), and 1/4 to 1/2 a B complex tablet or capsule mixed in some moistened feed (human B complex, not time release), and hopefully she will recover. Wry neck can present as sideways twisting, bending under like yours, or staring straight up (star gazing), lots of variations. The link below also has a video at the bottom showing how to help them feed, which you may need to do.
More on wry neck:
https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/wry-neck.html
Ok, what about when I try to reintroduce her in a week or two when she gets better? Will they accept her? I really hate dealing with pecking order stuff

If you give the E with some scrambled egg, canned tuna, or sunflower seeds, as I previously suggested, those will provide some selenium. It only takes a tiny bit of selenium to help. Since she is so young, reintegrating will probably not be that bad, work on getting her better first.

If you give the E with some scrambled egg, canned tuna, or sunflower seeds, as I previously suggested, those will provide some selenium. It only takes a tiny bit of selenium to help. Since she is so young, reintegrating will probably not be that bad, work on getting her better first.
Ok thank you! I’m fairly confident In her getting better. One of my chicks this summer did have wry neck so I know the basis of treating it, it’s just not a severe as this and didn’t look the same. Thanks for all your help! Have you ever heard of maybe making like those neck braces to keep their necks straight? Do those actually help?

Back
Top Bottom