So much rabbit fur...what to do with it??

Skye'sDucks

Crowing
6 Years
May 13, 2018
The 'too much sunshine' sunshine state
I have no clue if this is the right area to post this, but it didn't feel like it fit in many or any other threads lol.

My Lionhead rabbit, Lion, is going through a molt right now and so he's shedding like crazy. We've always just thrown the fur away or let it drift away on the breeze if we don't collect it all, but this time around I'm realizing how much waste that is. He's a Lionhead so it's not like angora wool or anything lol, but it is still nice, soft fur that could probably serve a purpose!

So any ideas on what I can use rabbit fur/wool for? I'm trying to think of some ideas but am having trouble coming up with something. Thanks!

Not sure if this is a great idea, but maybe stuffing inside a mini pillow? I don't know what you could use the pillow for, but kind cool to tell people that the inside of the pillow is rabbit fur 😅

I have no clue if this is the right area to post this, but it didn't feel like it fit in many or any other threads lol.

My Lionhead rabbit, Lion, is going through a molt right now and so he's shedding like crazy. We've always just thrown the fur away or let it drift away on the breeze if we don't collect it all, but this time around I'm realizing how much waste that is. He's a Lionhead so it's not like angora wool or anything lol, but it is still nice, soft fur that could probably serve a purpose!

So any ideas on what I can use rabbit fur/wool for? I'm trying to think of some ideas but am having trouble coming up with something. Thanks!
Needle felting or wet felting, can’t think of anything else

You could try needle felting with it. If you're able to dye it you could have all differnt colors.

I've been working on a needle felted duck. This is an old picture, but I've added wings and a strawberry bag to it.
20210714_000348.jpg

Not sure if this is a great idea, but maybe stuffing inside a mini pillow? I don't know what you could use the pillow for, but kind cool to tell people that the inside of the pillow is rabbit fur 😅
That's not a bad idea! Then I could say my rabbit gives me pillows 😆
Needle felting or wet felting, can’t think of anything else
You could try needle felting with it. If you're able to dye it you could have all differnt colors.

I've been working on a needle felted duck. This is an old picture, but I've added wings and a strawberry bag to it.
View attachment 2822460
Thank you both for the suggestion! I kinda thought of this myself, but wasn't sure yet. I'm almost leaning on looking at some tutorials online and trying it out! I don't know if I could dye it, I'd have to look up how to do so as well. But hey, I have a ton of fur and he's not done molting lol plus he's always shedding lots of fur so if I mess up I have plenty to work with. :)

@/Everythingducks, is it hard to learn or fairly easy to catch on? Got any tips?

That's not a bad idea! Then I could say my rabbit gives me pillows 😆

Thank you both for the suggestion! I kinda thought of this myself, but wasn't sure yet. I'm almost leaning on looking at some tutorials online and trying it out! I don't know if I could dye it, I'd have to look up how to do so as well. But hey, I have a ton of fur and he's not done molting lol plus he's always shedding lots of fur so if I mess up I have plenty to work with. :)

@/Everythingducks, is it hard to learn or fairly easy to catch on? Got any tips?
Its not as hard as I thought, but it does take a lot of time.
I recommend getting a needle felting kit so you'll have all the supplies, and you can add rabbit fur to all the wool they come with.

Good quality needles that won't break are important. Don't ask me how I know :)

Also, just be prepared for getti g stabbed a ton. I got poked and cut so many times lol. They usually come with finger protectors though.

Look for some tutorials and ideas on YouTube amd Pinterest, theres tons there.

Its not as hard as I thought, but it does take a lot of time.
I recommend getting a needle felting kit so you'll have all the supplies, and you can add rabbit fur to all the wool they come with.

Good quality needles that won't break are important. Don't ask me how I know :)

Also, just be prepared for getti g stabbed a ton. I got poked and cut so many times lol. They usually come with finger protectors though.

Look for some tutorials and ideas on YouTube amd Pinterest, theres tons there.
Thanks! I have just started looking at some youtube videos and I'll keep looking. It doesn't seem so hard but definitely does seem time consuming. But I like things that keep me busy.

I was already assuming I was going to stab myself a lot 😅 I'll have to make sure to have some finger protectors with whatever I get. I might get a kit, might not, depends on how expensive because I don't want to spend a ton of money.
I'll probably try both--mixing wool with rabbit fur and seeing if I can just do it with rabbit fur. Dunno if the latter will work but it'd be fun to experiment with. :)

Back
Top Bottom