So me and my ducks might be taking on something big....and I really need you guys advise??

Should I keep the duck or find another home?

• Total voters

happy duck

Crazy duck mom
Mar 24, 2018
Small town
My Coop
My Coop
So some people who go to our church with us have a duck. We have gotten word that this duck has gotten almost both eyes gorged out by the rooster. They have been separating it, and said its eyes have made a good recovery, but the duck is having a hard time seeing out of them. This duck has never lived with other ducks before, but just chickens. I can't imagine how much she(female pekin) would love to come live with me and my flock. They asked us and before I said yes I told them I was going to talk to some people first.....BYC was to be called upon! I have several question, but I really want this to work out so please give me your total and honest opinion. For you guys who don't know I have 4 ducks. 1 male who is a pekin, and 3 females who are buff orpingtions. Ok so my questions.

1. How is any easy way to introduce a semi blind duck to other ducks who are totally healthy?
2.Are there any special need requirements that I need to know about? Like meds, vet visits?
3. How do I help her know where everything is in the run?
4. What about free ranging?
5. Can she be around drakes?

I might come up with some more questions later, but for now this is where I am at. Once and if I keep her this thread will be kinda a story thread....telling how she lives her life day to day being blind. And maybe some other BYC people with bind ducks can chime in, but remember ONLY when we have settled the original problem.

Thanks tons! I am so so so glad I have people like you guys to help me and my ducks with big decisions.

I am kinda wondering the same thing....if she is blind or not. I am kinda worried my ducks won't let her into the flock and if not she would go to my friend who owns ducks, but I was talking to my friend about it yesterday and she might not be able to take it. That would leave the duck to go live with a family who does not know what they are doing or in a worse case to die....

I am kinda wondering the same thing....if she is blind or not. I am kinda worried my ducks won't let her into the flock and if not she would go to my friend who owns ducks, but I was talking to my friend about it yesterday and she might not be able to take it. That would leave the duck to go live with a family who does not know what they are doing or in a worse case to die....
All you can do is try her out?...It might be fine and everything will go smoothly...

Back
Top Bottom