smoking and hatching eggs

cutiepieacres

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
S. CA
I just got a box of eggs in the mail, they were packed well and made it ok. The thing I am wondering though is that the whole box, newspaper and all smelled of cigarette smoke. Obviously smoke isnt great for living creatures and eggs are porus, can this effect the health of my hatching eggs?

I am hoping for the best I really want them to hatch but when I opened the box it just caught my curiosity since I am not sure its somthing that I had really thought about before.

What would you do if they smelled like Mary Jane????

Sorry, I have no idea, but I do know that eggs are porous, but could they absorb 2nd hand smoke? Great question.

Im not sure I would be as worried if they were "out" but the fact that these were trapped in a sealed in a box for three days, I hadnt even opened it before I knew the box would smell like smoke inside.

Oh and just to add I did not get the eggs from anyone off of here.....

Last edited:
I'm sure they will be fine...they may just fene for a cigg after they hatch is all...
roll.png

They should be fine. The major damage caused by smoke is the inhalation of chemicals and particulate matter. Cancer causing agents and irritants found in smoke require years of contact and inhalation to really have a major effect, and even then, depends the response of the individual exposed depends on their genetics. Levels exposed to the eggs are likly to be insignificant.

I bet they smoked holding the news paper and it sucked up the smell. If the eggs have a dirty yellow film on them that would be different.

Back
Top Bottom