Smelly run after rain near feeders

KRS57

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2021
Sacramento, CA
Hi, Just one section of my chicken run smells really bad. I do not know what ammonia smells like, but I don't think it is that? The smell is limited to one area where we have feeders for the chickens. It rained most of January here in central California and that area was extremely muddy. The ground in this area of the run is normally covered with a bit of feed because the chickens pull it out of the feeders. Do you have any recommendations on how to eliminate the smell?

Here are two pictures of the area that smells and a picture of the rest of my run.

Welcome to BYC.

You'll need to post the photos directly in the thread because the link doesn't allow me to view it.

The ground in this area of the run is normally covered with a bit of feed because the chickens pull it out of the feeders.

This kind of waste is a common problem. It can be corrected by changing the type of feeder you're using, switching from crumble to pellet feed, raising the feeder to the level of the chickens' backs, or switching from free-fed dry feed to a moistened or fermented rationed feed.

My favorite feeder is an old-fashioned metal version with a deep pan and an inward-rolled lip that nearly eliminates waste. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/in-praise-of-the-traditional-hanging-feeder.1452899/

There are a number of "no waste" feeders that work by requiring the bird to put it's head inside an enclosed space in order to eat. Some flocks accept these and some won't use them.

The plastic ones that have little spokes to limit the ability to rake out feed are sometimes adjustable with a screw and wing nut. If you have this type you want the parts screwed down so that the spokes are below the level of the pan -- pretty much as low as will still allow your chosen feed to flow into the pan.

One thing I do when my birds *do* manage to dump a bunch of feed is to simply not feed them again until they've cleaned up -- which, of course, only works if the feeder area is dry.

Why am I focusing on the feed waste rather than the odor?

Rotting chicken feed REEKS and is, based on what you've told us so far, the most likely cause of the problem.

Additionally, you might have a build-up of poop around the feeder area which, again, will reek when wet.

Plenty of dry organic material will help. Coarse wood chips, the kind you get from a tree trimming service, are often considered the gold standard for controlling much and odor.

Finally, if you can't/don't wish to cover your entire run, feeding in a covered area will help keep things dry in the vicinity of the feeder. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/an-outdoor-shelter-for-the-feeder-and-waterer.76487/

Back
Top Bottom