small and weak duckling. help!!

Kaliisgreen

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 25, 2013
maine
i've got little babies about a week old and the smallest one seems very weak. she doesn't really get up or walk at all. she does swim in the bath, but usually just in one spot and if i put my hand in, she comes and sits on it to rest. she barely even opens her eyes. she can peep, if i'm holding her and she hears her siblings she responds. she had a bath hours ago and i just used the blow dryer on her because she was still soaked, she'd hardly even attempted to dry herself. she eats and drinks, but usually the others trample her. is she sick?? is there something i can do for her?? i'm giving them away tomorrow, unfortunately, so is there something i should tell the new owner to do for her??

all the other ones peep loudly and try to run away if i hold them but she just lays down silently and tried to sleep. if i pet her or move her she peeps, but other than that she's quiet.

Feed her sugar water. That will give the baby duck energy. If she wont take it, then dunk the first half of her bill in tje water. If tjat still doesnt help, put a bead of water on the tip of her bill. This will annoy her when it rolls down her bill. To dry her, get a human heating pad and wrap the duck in a towel before setting her in so she doesnt burn. If you dont have a heating pad, heat a dry rag in the microwave. Then wrap her in it and gently cuddle her. I hope this helps!!! Dont forget the sugar water!!!!

i fed her some food alone and she's gained a little energy. she's all dry and fluffed up now, and even preened her feathers some after eating. i gave her sugar water and she drank quite a bit of it. she's much more energetic now, even jumps out of my hands and peeps and runs around. i'll have to make sure she gets fed and watered separately and i'll keep giving her sugar water. thank you :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom