SLW and GLW - Pullet or Cockerel?

At 7 weeks some breeds are obvious for pullets and cockerals. Wyandottes are not. I would keep an eye on the SLW especially. Redding on the comb and growth in the waddles will be your first signs of a boy. With only two to compare you might not be certain until the saddle feathers come in at about 15 weeks. The boys will get pointed feathers on their backs.

At 7 weeks some breeds are obvious for pullets and cockerals. Wyandottes are not. I would keep an eye on the SLW especially. Redding on the comb and growth in the waddles will be your first signs of a boy. With only two to compare you might not be certain until the saddle feathers come in at about 15 weeks. The boys will get pointed feathers on their backs.
Thanks for the insight, wish I didn’t have to wait so long to know…you get attached to these little cuties! And I cannot have a rooster.😔 This breed seems very tricky, I guess time will tell. 😉😊

Hi! Do you know if yours are pullets or cockerels yet? I would love to see pictures!
One of the two is much larger and I mean MUCH larger than the other (I wonder if one is a bantam.) The larger one showed early signs of comb development as well as showing some color. I have kept a close eye on her and there is no waddle showing. has grown into the comb with no further reddening. This may be wishful thinking. I ordered pullets but have been having terrible luck. For example, these were supposed to be Blue Lased Red Wyandotte's. I need to take some pics of another suspect cockerel and will post my girls if they will stand still long enough.

Hello Again! I have some updated pictures of my Gold and Silver Laced Wyandottes. They are now 9 weeks old. Definitely see small waddles, but still not too big. Do you still think they are pullets? Thank you for your thoughts!
38BCC7D0-CA0A-43B0-9BD5-6641454F1C23.png
58A0FA91-62D7-4EB1-9789-6BB1AD6E3585.png
54D3EE8E-3373-4087-92CB-17750896BDB7.jpeg
3152D101-E52B-4763-A614-C836513403C9.jpeg
6DC1DB3F-8426-4492-957B-7A666C0B73EE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom