robbieg

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2019
just picked up a silver laced Wyandotte.
She’s about 14-16 weeks old and nice and healthy.

I’ve started noticing today that she just keeps sitting. She will walk around (a little bit awkwardly) and then just sit down and eat.

She still jumps onto twigs and branches and even onto her small hutch roof...and then sits....

It’s like her weight is too much for her little legs haha.

She is still alert and pooping fine..

Any ideas or am I just being too worried?

Attachments

• 31420EE3-98BC-46B6-A870-9F86E46FE240.jpeg
    31420EE3-98BC-46B6-A870-9F86E46FE240.jpeg
    791.3 KB · Views: 13
Hi Robbieg; sorry your chicken isn't feeling well. One of the first, and most important things to check for when your bird is showing signs of foot problems is to check for any bumps, swelling, redness, or discharge. Look on the top and and bottom, and gently but firmly apply feel the lower leg to see if anything seems out of the ordinary.
Best of luck!

She might be showing signs of a riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency, but it might be something else such as an injury or something else. I would start giving her 1/4 tablet of vitamin B complex crushed on her food daily. They eat it well in cooked egg. I would continue to watch her walking and note if she favors one leg or uses her wings to help her balance. I would also contact the breeder to find out if she had any problems before, and if she was vaccinated for Mareks disease.

I had a cockerel with the exact same issue once. He would sit on his 'elbows' and look lame. He could walk and run if he had to but it obviously hurt or tired him. It got progressively worse until he sat around most of the day...
Until one day a fox got him. :eek:

Fortunately I was home and heard the ruckus. I chased off the fox and, despite deep injuries to his back, the cockerel made a full recovery. And the problem with his legs just fixed itself. I swear, it was like a miracle.:bow
A few weeks after the attack he was up and about and he never sat down on his elbows like that again. True story, but I never found out what had caused it in the first place. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom