Single slope cold weather coop ventilation question

a_a_ron

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2022
Long time lurker, first time poster. I just can’t find exactly what I’m looking for, and maybe you all can help.

Im having a single slope shed built, with plans to put a wall in the middle to keep half for garden shed and half for coop. The single slope matches the house, so I am stuck on that design. Unfortunately, I can’t get an overhang on the roof through this company. So, I’m really struggling with figuring out how to add the required ventilation. There are small soffits.

Fortunately, I saw a recent post from the user Egghead_Jr that discussed single slope airflow in cold climates, suggesting convective venting (openings at the top of the opposite low and high walls) can accomplish the needs with less open space: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/ventilation-what-are-the-basics.1511888/#post-25419490

Here are my specifics:

~7’x8’ coop portion
~3/12 pitch roof
Soffits ~3” x 7’
=1.75 cubic feet open per soffit
Plan for up to 12 total chx (current flock of 3)
Cold climate (Minnesota)

I attached a few photos of the building style. I guess at the end of the day, I’m hoping for reassurance that I’m not getting myself something totally useless for my needs. I’m hopeful I’m understating this correctly and that this might accomplish my ventilation needs with minimal modification. Thoughts from fellow cold-climaters, physics-savvy designers, and whoever’s got opinions appreciated!

Attachments

• F425D796-01F2-446A-81E0-DFF2DCC49F0F.jpeg
    F425D796-01F2-446A-81E0-DFF2DCC49F0F.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 9ECAE023-A48C-40CC-8CBB-E4F1B039C9A9.jpeg
    9ECAE023-A48C-40CC-8CBB-E4F1B039C9A9.jpeg
    764.6 KB · Views: 13
If this is what you have your heart set on, you can have the section I've marked hinged at the yellow line and open it with prop sticks. Have something similar on the back.
That way the hinges are so far up that rain won't be able to get in at the pivot point and will be divert down away from the coop.
Install 1/2" hardware cloth on the inside of the opening and cover the edges with some kind of 1x trim screwed to the framing to really secure the openings.
If you don't have a solid wall between the coop and the garden shed side, it will soon be coated in dust.
1649604935394.png

Thanks everyone. It will be a full wall between the partitions, though I plan to install a nest box I can open through it. Hopefully that cuts down on dust enough that it isn’t too bad of an issue. Won’t be storing anything but garden tools and such in there anyway.

As to the venting, it sounds like the convective circulation won’t be able to overcome the smaller openings?

The hinged siding is intriguing. I’m certain the shed company won’t be willing to do that for me, so I would need to modify that after the fact. Hopefully there would be a way to unfasten it and cut it carefully enough to make it work.

What is the reason for making it a hinged section and propping it open? Do you close it at certain times of the year or inclement weather?

I am curious - do you actually ever close them down? Just when rain is blowing sideways?

Those were good links. The country living one gave me an idea. I can have the shed company build in frame-outs for windows as high up on the walls as I can. I could cut the siding off in space of those frame-outs and maybe add some trim and hinges and might be good. A lot cheaper than actually putting in a window I suppose.

Got a good space above the door I think for maybe a 1’tall x 5’ wide. it’ll be a little harder on the backside since that wall is lower. Below would be the layout I’d be using - not quite like the one I had a photo of.

Attachments

• E755F2E2-99FF-47A7-8FD1-9676E505C36D.jpeg
    E755F2E2-99FF-47A7-8FD1-9676E505C36D.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom