Silkie x Sapphire Olive Egger mix

mollyshau

In the Brooder
May 12, 2023
For anyone that has experience with genetics/chicken color outcomes, can you tell me what color this chick will be as an adult? The mom is a grey sapphire olive egger and the dad is some sort of pure silkie. I have buff, paint, and black roosters all mixed into the flock, so the dad could be any of those colors. I hatched a couple of these crosses and the chicks all look like this with four orange colored toes.

Attachments

• IMG_1309.jpeg
    IMG_1309.jpeg
    548.8 KB · Views: 14
By grey do you mean the mother is blue or silver partridge which is sometimes called grey in silkies?
My guess is paint or blue paint but it's hard to know until the feathers come in.

By grey do you mean the mother is blue or silver partridge which is sometimes called grey in silkies?
My guess is paint or blue paint but it's hard to know until the feathers come in.
the mom is a blue sapphire olive egger. Not sure what the breed mix is since olive eggers are hybrids but she lays a medium green egg. Will include a picture of her with this post. The babies look a lot like paint silkies but they’re not pure, so I didn’t understand how those genetics worked. Can non silkies have black spots like paints do?

Attachments

• IMG_4070.jpeg
    IMG_4070.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 3
The babies look a lot like paint silkies but they’re not pure, so I didn’t understand how those genetics worked. Can non silkies have black spots like paints do?
The mother is blue with leakage. Mixes can be paint too. Many other breeds can be paint. Paint is just a color. It's one copy of dominant white over black. The father would have to be the paint silkie because he passed on a copy of dominant white to his chicks.

Back
Top Bottom