Silkie hatching project.Incubation tips wanted

Oct 31, 2023
Glen rock Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I am going to start a silkie breeding pen in a while,but I was wondering if any of you could give me some incubating tips,I know the basics but I want to do the best I can with incubating.I am using a "Farm Innovators" incubator then I have a "Little Giant" incubator I use for hatched chicks (because my brooder is a little drafty for just one chick) But I am really just looking for tips and if there is anything special about silkie hatching.Thanks!

Hiya. I've been hatching silkie eggs for a couple of years, but just set up breeding pens for my show-quality ones this last February.

I have just followed the guidelines for all chickens, as in 99.5F temp, 40-50 humidity, and 70% humidity at lockdown.

Most do 3-day lockdowns. I do 4-5. Silkies take 21 days but occasionally some start hatching in 19 or 20.

I would not dry-hatch them but know some do. My reason is their shells are different than other chickens, sort of like porcelain, and they need the moisture to help them break out. Besides, I don't grease the wheel unless it squeaks. I'm successful doing it how I do it so not changing.

Also, I'd suggest getting some Poultry Cell. They get fresh water day 1, but day 2 I put Poultry Cell in it. Silkies are prone to vitamin deficiencies so I try to ensure they don't start out life with any.

Hiya. I've been hatching silkie eggs for a couple of years, but just set up breeding pens for my show-quality ones this last February.

I have just followed the guidelines for all chickens, as in 99.5F temp, 40-50 humidity, and 70% humidity at lockdown.

Most do 3-day lockdowns. I do 4-5. Silkies take 21 days but occasionally some start hatching in 19 or 20.

I would not dry-hatch them but know some do. My reason is their shells are different than other chickens, sort of like porcelain, and they need the moisture to help them break out. Besides, I don't grease the wheel unless it squeaks. I'm successful doing it how I do it so not changing.

Also, I'd suggest getting some Poultry Cell. They get fresh water day 1, but day 2 I put Poultry Cell in it. Silkies are prone to vitamin deficiencies so I try to ensure they don't start out life with any.
Thank You! That is very helpful!

Thank You! That is very helpful!
Very welcome! Good luck with your plans!

I forgot to mention I only candle them twice, once at 7 days so I can remove any clears, and once when I'm locking them down so I can remove any quitters. Once they start hatching, some are so fast, yet others take half a day. I don't open the incubator or ever help as they get out on their own even when it seems it's taking forever.

When it appears that all of whoever is going to hatch have hatched, then I'll take the lid off, remove the dry ones, and candle any that are still in there.

Best wishes for a great hatch!!

Back
Top Bottom