Silkie early lockdown?

What would you do if you had this situation?

• Standard 21 day plan with lock down starting on day 18

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Early lockdown on day 17

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
I'm wondering if you're seeing independent movement from the embryo. Sometimes when an embryo quits during the second half of incubation, it will move around as you twist the egg to candle. I've been fooled by this "movement" a couple times! So check to see if it's moving while you're holding the egg very still. It may just be a little behind or about to quit, if the veins are receding. It's hard to tell sometimes with shipped eggs and they tend to quit later on just as much as in the beginning. Don't give up hope in it yet. If you candle on day 19 check and see if that air cell draws down. Draw down doesn't happen on an egg that has quit. So what day is day 21?

I'm wondering if you're seeing independent movement from the embryo. Sometimes when an embryo quits during the second half of incubation, it will move around as you twist the egg to candle. I've been fooled by this "movement" a couple times! So check to see if it's moving while you're holding the egg very still. It may just be a little behind or about to quit, if the veins are receding. It's hard to tell sometimes with shipped eggs and they tend to quit later on just as much as in the beginning. Don't give up hope in it yet. If you candle on day 19 check and see if that air cell draws down. Draw down doesn't happen on an egg that has quit. So what day is day 21?

It definitely is moving, today. I held it still for two minutes. Air cell isn't drawn down though... Day 21 is this Saturday, October 10.

Last edited:
It definitely is moving, today. I held it still for two minutes. Air cell isn't drawn down though... Day 21 is this Saturday, October 10.

Awesome! That's a great sign! Is the other one drawn down? They can be a couple days apart. I hatched, shipped silkie eggs last weekend (day 21 was last Saturday night) and some started to pip on Friday night and some started to pip on Sunday afternoon. So just give it time! Update when you can!!

Awesome! That's a great sign! Is the other one drawn down? They can be a couple days apart. I hatched, shipped silkie eggs last weekend (day 21 was last Saturday night) and some started to pip on Friday night and some started to pip on Sunday afternoon. So just give it time! Update when you can!!

Congrats on you hatch last week! How was it?

Thank you so much for replying. I've realy been stressing out about them. Shipped eggs haven't been kind to my family this year. My cousin only got one baby out of 25 shipped polish eggs last week.

Congrats on you hatch last week! How was it?

Thank you so much for replying. I've realy been stressing out about them. Shipped eggs haven't been kind to my family this year. My cousin only got one baby out of 25 shipped polish eggs last week.

I've had my ups and downs with shipped eggs this year. I had 2 batches that were almost a total bust! Only 3 eggs out of 32! But then my last hatch, last weekend was great! All but 1 egg hatched! Just goes to show that shipped really is a gamble! As long as you have separate thermometers and hygrometers that have been calibrated and tested and consistent conditions that's half the battle! Good luck this weekend! Hope you get 2 babies! How does that second egg look today?

I've had my ups and downs with shipped eggs this year. I had 2 batches that were almost a total bust! Only 3 eggs out of 32! But then my last hatch, last weekend was great! All but 1 egg hatched! Just goes to show that shipped really is a gamble! As long as you have separate thermometers and hygrometers that have been calibrated and tested and consistent conditions that's half the battle! Good luck this weekend! Hope you get 2 babies! How does that second egg look today?

Oh my! I can only imagine what that cost emotionally and financially . How far were they being shipped? Almost all the ads silkies I saw were in SC. All the local sellers in CA were reduculously priced.

It looks like I have an internal pip and the other isn't moving anymore... I think it died.

Oh my! I can only imagine what that cost emotionally and financially . How far were they being shipped? Almost all the ads silkies I saw were in SC. All the local sellers in CA were reduculously priced.

It looks like I have an internal pip and the other isn't moving anymore... I think it died.

Oh it cost me $170 bucks for 3 chicks and 6 weeks of time, hand turning and monitoring everyday! I'm on the east coast, so all of the breeder contacts I have are also on the east coast. Those 2 batches were from Florida to Ny. But I don't think they were packed the best. And I don't think they were as fresh as the breeder said because the air cells looked bigger then just a few days old. I've had good luck with eggs from GA to NY, though. My last batch that almost all hatched was only from NJ and were super fresh. The air cells were TINY when I got them. The smaller the air cell, the less damage it gets, imo. I know 2 breeders on the west coast that I would LOVE to get silkie eggs from but I think they are too far. One is "feathers on the ground" and the other is "cat dance silkies". Both have gorgeous birds! Do you know anyone that has any chicks, in case only the one hatches? Is the egg peeping??? So exciting!!! :jumpy

Oh it cost me $170 bucks for 3 chicks and 6 weeks of time, hand turning and monitoring everyday! I'm on the east coast, so all of the breeder contacts I have are also on the east coast. Those 2 batches were from Florida to Ny. But I don't think they were packed the best. And I don't think they were as fresh as the breeder said because the air cells looked bigger then just a few days old. I've had good luck with eggs from GA to NY, though. My last batch that almost all hatched was only from NJ and were super fresh. The air cells were TINY when I got them. The smaller the air cell, the less damage it gets, imo. I know 2 breeders on the west coast that I would LOVE to get silkie eggs from but I think they are too far. One is "feathers on the ground" and the other is "cat dance silkies". Both have gorgeous birds! Do you know anyone that has any chicks, in case only the one hatches? Is the egg peeping??? So exciting!!!
jumpy.gif

My goodness you are a brave person! Most of the listings over here are far out of my price range. I'm hatching, because I cant get a hold of a silkie chick. All the hatcheries closed production in July, and nobody I know has any. I bought one back in April and she was the best bird I have ever had. She, and her younger RIR friend slept in our living room every night and went outside with the rest of the flock during the day. I don't think the other hens knew she was a chicken, because they completely ignored her and never looked twice at her. The red pullet would lead her around the yard and back to the front door every night. Unfortunately, we lost them both when a pair of dogs got in the yard while ours were penned up... All of our hens were raised with dogs and cats so they don't run. They got both of my babies as well as an old wyndotte belonging to my da-in-law and half plucked his big Brahma.

I found what looked to be a hatchery on Craigslist advertising day-old silkies about a hundred miles away. My da-in-law and I made a day trip to get them, but it turned out to be worse than a puppy mill. The guy lead us to a 8x8 foot shed that he had at least 15 half grown turkeys and 5 four-month-old silkies. It was the saddest thing you have ever seen. it looked like he had never replaced the wood shavings on the concrete floor and none of the birds had ever been outside or seen daylight! I wanted to rescue them so bad. They were the saddest looking birds I have ever seen and I wanted to rescue them, but I didn't want to give that man money and who knows was illnesses they could have brought onto our property. We call animal services after we left.

No peeping yet, but I think the fan might be muffling it. My cousin's flock just got attached by some mystery beast, so I know he wont part with any of his now. I've raised solo chicks before but I really wanted at least two babies from this hatch.

My goodness you are a brave person! Most of the listings over here are far out of my price range. I'm hatching, because I cant get a hold of a silkie chick. All the hatcheries closed production in July, and nobody I know has any. I bought one back in April and she was the best bird I have ever had. She, and her younger RIR friend slept in our living room every night and went outside with the rest of the flock during the day. I don't think the other hens knew she was a chicken, because they completely ignored her and never looked twice at her. The red pullet would lead her around the yard and back to the front door every night. Unfortunately, we lost them both when a pair of dogs got in the yard while ours were penned up... All of our hens were raised with dogs and cats so they don't run. They got both of my babies as well as an old wyndotte belonging to my da-in-law and half plucked his big Brahma.

I found what looked to be a hatchery on Craigslist advertising day-old silkies about a hundred miles away. My da-in-law and I made a day trip to get them, but it turned out to be worse than a puppy mill. The guy lead us to a 8x8 foot shed that he had at least 15 half grown turkeys and 5 four-month-old silkies. It was the saddest thing you have ever seen. it looked like he had never replaced the wood shavings on the concrete floor and none of the birds had ever been outside or seen daylight! I wanted to rescue them so bad. They were the saddest looking birds I have ever seen and I wanted to rescue them, but I didn't want to give that man money and who knows was illnesses they could have brought onto our property. We call animal services after we left.

No peeping yet, but I think the fan might be muffling it. My cousin's flock just got attached by some mystery beast, so I know he wont part with any of his now. I've raised solo chicks before but I really wanted at least two babies from this hatch.

That's a terrible story!! But I know what you mean. My neighbor has a small farm and raises chickens and all kinds other animals but the conditions are filthy and way too many males to female ratio. I've wanted to rescue a few chicks that would always run up to me when they saw me coming but it's just soooo dirty, and I have a closed flock, so I didn't want to risk my whole flock over a couple.

Have you checked the byc section that sells hatching eggs on here? Also eBay? eBay is way more of a gamble but I know a couple byc people that sell on there. I actually know someone on here that had her eggs shipped out of the country and they arrived in good condition. I'll pm you her name. I know she's affordable and can be trusted. None of mine are laying yet. I would offer you eggs but I have none to offer right now!

Any pips on that egg??

No pips or peeps...yet. Lol this waiting game is killing me. I'm absolutely sure my weird egg is dead, but my good egg is still kicking. I really hope it's not malpositioned! All of my cousin''s eggs were. 14 were unable to pip.

Most of the listings are $70 per dozen. I think I got discount eggs or something because I got my nine for $22 off eBay. I'm not into shows or breed standards, so I wasn't worried about that kind of quality. They came from a mixed color flock, so who knows what color my baby will be.

Lol worse come worse I have to wait until spring and get a couple from the hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom