Sick Rooster

Hayleytemplet

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 15, 2018
North Texas
So the past few days my rooster has been lethargic. Didn't notice much to be honest but he isn't one we hold as his personality is one that prefers to be left alone. Well I noticed him today laying in the run and went and looked up close and his face is super swollen. I went to get pics and he was in a place where I could grab him and pick him up so I did and noticed this area on his back near his tail. Not his butt but just behind his wing.

I was originally thinking Corzya not now I'm just wondering about a possible infection or something. Would something like Corzya cause this or did this happen and cause the rest? I had a hen die about 2 or 3 weeks ago after seeming lethargic but didn't have swelling or any other issues. We got her from a friend so figured she just died from age or whatever. I am assuming this fellow is on his way out as well but I want to treat proactively if it is something my other hens or my other roo could get.

Attachments

• 20240513_193018.jpg
    20240513_193018.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240513_193021.jpg
    20240513_193021.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240513_193026.jpg
    20240513_193026.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240513_193032.jpg
    20240513_193032.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 2
How many birds do you have?

The picture of the area around the wing is quite blurry and hard to tell much, but to me it looks like a wound. Can you tell how deep it is?

General care for a wound is to trim feathers from the wound, flush/clean with saline, Chlorhexidine or Povidone Iodine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment. Keep the bird somewhere that flies cannot get into the wound and lays eggs.

As for the head/face, looks like he's probably got an ear infection. Perhaps from a peck or injury. Clean with wound, look inside the ear for any pus/debris. It may be that the scab needs to be removed and pus cleaned out, hard to know.

Look him over for lice/mites.

If vet care is an option, that would be best.

How many birds do you have?

The picture of the area around the wing is quite blurry and hard to tell much, but to me it looks like a wound. Can you tell how deep it is?

General care for a wound is to trim feathers from the wound, flush/clean with saline, Chlorhexidine or Povidone Iodine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment. Keep the bird somewhere that flies cannot get into the wound and lays eggs.

As for the head/face, looks like he's probably got an ear infection. Perhaps from a peck or injury. Clean with wound, look inside the ear for any pus/debris. It may be that the scab needs to be removed and pus cleaned out, hard to know.

Look him over for lice/mites.

If vet care is an option, that would be best.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom